Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2012 Race 11 & 12 Snetterton

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup GB resumes at Snetterton

Michael Meadows leads title race into second half of season
Andy Meyrick and Fraser O'Brien join the grid
Ahmad Al Harthy and Will Goff head Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 battles

After a seven-week mid-season break, the second half of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB season starts at Snetterton (11/12 August) and Michael Meadows (Redline Racing) heads to the Norfolk track with an 18-point lead in the overall standings.

However, before the most recent race weekend at Croft, that lead was 34 points and a rare non-finish at Croft was the first stumble in Meadows' stellar season to date. He knows well enough that it can all change in one race and the Banbury racer will want to start the second half of the season with a big haul of points.

Lithuanian racer Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing), double Croft winner Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), Sam Tordoff (Team Parker Racing), Scholarship driver Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce/Team Parker) and Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) are the drivers taking the fight to Meadows, but the whole complexion of the title race could be turned on its head by the arrival of Andy Meyrick at Snetterton. With an impressive single-seater and sports car pedigree, Meyrick is now joining the Carrera Cup field and he will be quick. With five race weekends already done, Meyrick cannot challenge for the title, but he can go all out to win as many races as possible as he joins Team Parker Racing.

Away from the overall title race, Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) heads Pro-Am1 by a handy margin from Derek Pierce (JD Pierce/Team Parker) and Oly Mortimer (GT Marques), while Spanish racer Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air) is getting quicker and quicker. Joining Pro-Am1 for the first time this weekend will be Welsh teenager Fraser O'Brien (GT Marques) and his progress will be watched with great interest.

At the mid-season point, the Pro-Am2 category is topped by local racer Will Goff (Goff Racing) from Dereham. Will made a big step up the racing ladder this season to run in the Carrera Cup and now comes his home race weekend. 'Norfolk has always been home and always will be home," he says. 'My family has been here for years and years." The family business of Goff Petroleum distributes heating oil all across the eastern counties from its base in Wymondham.

Despite Snetterton being his home track, Will says it has not been kind to him so far. 'I've never yet done very well at Snetterton but everyone expects wonderful things because it is my home track," he says. His category rivals are Tania Mann (sibsport performance) and Tautvydas Barstys (Juta Racing).

Attachments

• snet_01_159.jpg
    snet_01_159.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 17,714
Barker heads Carrera Cup GB testing at Snetterton

Ben Barker sets the overall pace in the Snetterton sunshine
Michael Leonard tops Pro-Am1
Tania Mann sets the mark in Pro-Am2

Ben Barker set the pace in testing for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Friday 10 August) as high ambient temperatures struck for the first time this season.

Barker (Parr Motorsport) headed a tightly-packed group of drivers as seven-tenths of a second covered the top eight drivers ahead of rounds 11 and 12 of the championship. In Pro-Am1, Michael Leonard (Naas Court Hotel with Team Parker) shot to the head of the times while series returnee Tania Mann (sibsport performance) topped the Pro-Am2 category.

With high temperatures both outside and inside the cars, Barker moved to the top of the time sheets as the leading drivers completed new tyre runs in the afternoon test session. His best lap of 1m52.691s left him nearly a fifth of a second clear and marked what Ben described as a great start to his weekend. 'I came into the weekend knowing what I had to do and we know we've got a good set up here," he said. After the last two race weekends, where he was battling to learn tracks on rain-hit test days, it was a welcome return to pace-setting form for Barker.

Leading the chase of Barker was Team Parker Racing duo Sam Tordoff and Daniel Lloyd and both were very close to the ultimate pace. 'We tested here in the break and had a good couple of days, so we were ready this morning," said Tordoff. Lloyd, meanwhile, used his fresh rubber early in the session. 'We did the time and then played with the set up. The important thing is that we got the car spot on," said Lloyd.

Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) and Michael Meadows (Redline Racing), currently second and first respectively in the overall championship standings, were fourth and fifth as Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), Andy Meyrick (Team Parker Racing) and Richard Plant (Team Parker Racing) all lapped within three-quarters of a second of Barker. For series debutant Meyrick it was a solid start to his Carrera Cup campaign, but he knew he should have been quicker. 'It's a case of just trying to put it all together and I didn't get the best out of the new tyres," he said.

Flying to the top of Pro-Am1, less than a third of a second adrift of the Pro pack, was Leonard, but with the top five Pro-Am1 drivers covered by less than half a second, the category is wide open. 'I didn't think I'd be that far up," admitted Leonard. 'There's more time to come," he promised. Right on Leonard's pace was Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker), Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline with Oman Air), Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) and Victor Jimenez (Redline with Oman Air).

In Pro-Am2, Tania Mann returned to the series after missing two race weekends and pared 1.5s from her morning time to move a second ahead of category rival Will Goff (Goff Racing) by the end of the two official test sessions. 'I'm really pleased with that," said Mann.

Gelzinis wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton

Jonas Gelzinis is the sixth Porsche Carrera Cup GB racer of the season to benefit from Michelin's on-going support of the championship by winning a set of tyres ahead of this weekend's rounds 11 and 12 at Snetterton (11/12 August).

In his third full season in the Carrera Cup GB, the Lithuanian racer is a major title contender having won the Pro-Am1 title in 2011. Racing for Juta Racing, Jonas and the team make a massive effort to contest the Carrera Cup GB season and fly in from Lithuania for each of the 10 race weekends.

Having been the control tyre supplier for the Carrera Cup GB for ten seasons since the championship was created in 2003, Michelin is once more supporting the teams and drivers with the award of a complete set of slick racing tyres at each event. Before the start of testing, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Attachments

• snet_02_870.jpg
    snet_02_870.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 17,710
Tordoff takes double Carrera Cup GB pole at Snetterton

Sam Tordoff storms to two pole positions
Michael Leonard and Ahmad Al Harthy share top spot in Pro-Am1
Newcomer Fraser O'Brien sets the mark in Pro-Am2

Sam Tordoff was the star of qualifying in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Saturday 11 August) as he charged to a brace of pole positions in the closing minutes of an enthralling qualifying session.

With a best lap of 1m52.085s, Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) lapped half a second faster than the 2011 pole time to keep championship leader Michael Meadows (Redline Racing) off the top of the time sheets. Meanwhile, Michael Leonard (Naas Court Hotel with Parker) and Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) each took a pole position in Pro-Am1 and championship newcomer Fraser O'Brien (GT Marques) made a great start to his Carrera Cup campaign by topping Pro-Am2 for both races.

On the first set of tyres, Meadows was the man in control with the two best times. However, as the session developed and drivers switched to their second set of tyres, the times dropped still further. With just under five minutes to go, championship debutant Andy Meyrick (Team Parker Racing) leapt to the top of the time sheets with a best of 1m52.322s, but moments later Tordoff set a scorching best of 1m52.085s. Then, Meadows posted a lap in 1m52.308s to take second and bump Meyrick back to third.

Tordoff's second best lap of 1m52.195s would have also taken pole for round 11 and so assured him of pole for round 12 as well. 'That was a good session," said Tordoff. 'I knew if I pieced it all together we'd be quick. That's a great way to start the second half of the season."

Meadows was second fastest for both races and believed that not testing at Snetterton in the run up to the race weekend had cost them a little. 'Sam's got two-tenths of a second on us," said Meadows. 'He's got good pace at the moment." Meyrick, meanwhile, will start third and fourth for the two races after a very encouraging qualifying session. 'It's good to be here and I'm happy enough," said Meyrick. 'They are fantastic cars to drive and I'm learning every time I get in the car. Snetterton has changed a bit since I was last here," he added of the circuit changes that have been completed since he last raced at the Norfolk track in 2008.

Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) was fourth and then third fastest, but was a bit frustrated not to piece together the faster lap that he knew was possible. Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) was fifth for both races, while Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Team Parker) and Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) each took a sixth place.

Heading Pro-Am1 with a mighty opening shot was Leonard. He ran as high as fourth overall in the first half of the session, having elected to do just three laps on only one set of tyres. He will go into Sunday's races with one set of un-used tyres. 'The car is brilliant," said the Irish racer, who will start second on the grid for round 12. Pro-Am1 championship leader Al Harthy was second and then first for the two races as he traded places with Leonard. 'We've progressed from yesterday I'm happy with how things are. Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air) and Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Parker) were third and fourth, although Pierce lost his clutch on the first lap on his second set of tyres.

'I made a few mistakes and I think I could have gone quicker," said O'Brien after taking two poles in the Pro-Am2 category. His pace took the 17-year old Welsh racer clear of category rivals Tania Mann (sibsport performance) and Will Goff (Goff Racing).

Round eleven grid:
Pro category: 1 Sam Tordoff (1m52.085s); 2 Michael Meadows (1m52.308s); 3 Andy Meyrick (1m52.322s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Michael Leonard (1m53.118s); 2 Ahmad Al Harthy (1m53.265s); 3 Victor Jimenez (1m53.406s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Fraser O'Brien (1m55.484s); 2 Tania Mann (1m56.038s); 3 Will Goff (1m56.469s).

Round twelve grid:
Pro category: 1 Sam Tordoff (1m52.195s); 2 Michael Meadows (1m52.338s); 3 Ben Barker (1m52.561s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy (1m53.314s); 2 Michael Leonard (1m53.502s); 3 Victor Jimenez (1m53.701s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Fraser O'Brien (1m56.002s); 2 Tania Mann (1m56.167s); 3 Will Goff (1m56.565s).

Attachments

• snet_03_564.jpg
    snet_03_564.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 17,708
Tordoff dominates Carrera Cup GB round 11 Snetterton

Sam Tordoff scores a commanding win from pole
Victor Jimenez takes Pro-Am1 victory
Newcomer Fraser O'Brien wins in Pro-Am2

Sam Tordoff dominated round 11 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Sunday 12 August) as he won from pole with a faultless performance.

Championship leader Michael Meadows chased Tordoff all the way to the flag, but was unable to challenge as Victor Jimenez (Pro-Am1) and Fraser O'Brien (Pro-Am2) won their respective classes.

Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) took control of the race as soon as the lights went out and headed the field into the opening lap. Unfortunately, already missing from the pack was fourth place qualifier Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) after a water pipe detached on the green flag lap and forced him to miss the race. Meanwhile, Meadows (Redline Racing) slotted into second and knew that his best chance was to attack Tordoff on the opening lap. 'My start wasn't strong and there was not much more I could do," said Meadows. 'The pace was too even to do anything."

With a lead of nearly a second after the opening lap, Tordoff was able to control the race from the front and drove superbly to never put a wheel wrong. He took his lead over to around two seconds and was never seriously troubled. 'Fantastic," said Tordoff. 'I can't ask for any more. It's just clicking this weekend and the car has been perfect."

Behind Tordoff and Meadows, Andy Meyrick (Team Parker Racing) and Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) ran in close company for many laps in the battle for third. However, on lap nine Gelzinis had a half spin at Agostini's and as he rejoined he inadvertently clipped Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air). Meyrick was delighted to complete the podium after his first Carrera Cup race. 'It was mega fun, but I didn't get the best of starts," said Meyrick.

The delay to Gelzinis elevated the contest between Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Team Parker) to fourth place and Lloyd grabbed the place on the final lap after a long pursuit.

Contact on the opening lap between Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker) and Michael Leonard (Naas Court Hotel with Parker) delayed them both and ensured Al Harthy led Pro-Am1 from Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air) and Oly Mortimer (GT Marques). It was all looking good for Al Harthy until he was left with nowhere to go as Gelzinis rejoined the track. Damage to the frustrated Al Harthy's car cost him victory and put him out of the race. Gelzinis was later excluded from the results and penalised four championship points.

Instead, Jimenez took over to win Pro-Am1 from the chasing Mortimer and Keith Webster (Redline/Marque One) moved up to third for his first Pro-Am1 podium. 'I'm very happy: it was a difficult race," said the Spanish racer. Mortimer raced hard but had a major handicap over the closing stages after a lens fell out of his glasses and he to drive with full vision in only one eye.

O'Brien made a great start to his Carrera Cup campaign by winning Pro-Am2 with an assured performance. The teenager chased the tail of the Pro-Am1 pack before making sure of category victory and accumulating valuable race experience. 'I was just trying to bed myself in," said O'Brien as Will Goff (Goff Racing) dived ahead of Tania Mann (sibsport performance) at the start to lay claim to second place.

Round eleven results:
Pro category: 1 Sam Tordoff; 2 Michael Meadows; 3 Andy Meyrick.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez; 2 Oly Mortimer; 3 Keith Webster.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Fraser O'Brien; 2 Will Goff; 3 Tania Mann.

Attachments

• snet_04_164.jpg
    snet_04_164.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 17,706
Tordoff does Carrera Cup GB double at Snetterton

Sam Tordoff completes perfect weekend with second win
Ahmad Al Harthy goes back on top in Pro-Am1
Will Goff takes victory in Pro-Am2

Sam Tordoff made it a perfect double in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Snetterton today (Sunday 12 August) as he won round 12 of the championship to establish himself in second place in the points' table.

Michael Meadows ran second throughout and fended off the challenge of Ben Barker to build his lead to 36 points, which had been just 18 points at the start of the weekend. Ahmad Al Harthy and Will Goff won Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 respectively.

'Another great start, which is not like me," said Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) after building an immediate lead. 'That was the key," said Tordoff. 'I knew Ben Barker would keep Michael busy." Sure enough, while Tordoff was able to measure his pace at the front, Meadows (Redline Racing) had to focus more on defending from Barker (Parr Motorsport). That was the story of the race as Tordoff drove faultlessly to take his second win of the day. Meadows had Barker as a constant shadow in the contest for second, but despite several late race attacks Barker could not find a way through.

'It was tough and I had to go defensive some of the time," said Meadows. 'But I'll settle for two seconds as we were never quite on it this weekend." Barker, meanwhile, bagged a podium, but had hoped for more. 'We had really good pace but he defended a good race," said Barker.

Andy Meyrick (Team Parker Racing) always ran fourth, but a flat-spotted tyre ensured that he could not go after the second place contest. In turn, he was able to edge away from the battling trio of Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing), Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Parker). A late tangle when Lloyd got crossed up under braking and tagged Butcher into a spin broke the pack up. Lloyd was later penalised for the incident and put back behind Butcher in the amended results.

Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) chased the Pro drivers to score a resounding Pro-Am1 victory and make up for the earlier disappointment of being knocked out of the first race. 'I've had a very good weekend apart from the Gelzinis incident," said the Oman racer. 'We had very good pace." Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air) bagged second in Pro-Am1 from Oly Mortimer (GT Marques). With two fighting drives to the podium on very limited funds, Mortimer was awarded the 'driver of the weekend' award, while GT Marques earned the 'team of the weekend' award.

Goff (Goff Racing) claimed Pro-Am2 spoils on his home track after a great drive. 'I absolutely nailed the start," said Goff. Then, category rival Fraser O'Brien (GT Marques) attacked into Riches but spun and that sent Goff away clear. 'I saw him coming in pretty hot," said Goff after giving O'Brien racing room. O'Brien recovered to finish second in Pro-Am2 from Tania Mann (sibsport performance).

Round twelve results:
Pro category: 1 Sam Tordoff; 2 Michael Meadows; 3 Ben Barker.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy; 2 Victor Jimenez; 3 Oly Mortimer.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff; 2 Fraser O'Brien; 3 Tania Mann.

Attachments

• snet_05_570.jpg
    snet_05_570.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 17,704

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back