Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 14
997 : 2004- 77
996 : 1997-2005 38
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 19
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Coilovers...again? - Now with fitted pics page 2 Reply with quote

I've had a fair old search of the forum, and it seems to be KW variant 3's are the preferred setup.

I had a set of track spec Gaz golds on my last car, all singing all dancing, dampening adjustment, heaight adjustment, i picked my own spring rates etc and they were great... but for what i paid i didnt really get the use out of them...

so what cheaper alternative options do i have for me carrera 4? i doubt ill see much track action, fast road, and if im honest, im more concerned with how the car sits than comfort..

i've seen these ebay specials, which look as cheap as they are...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280932619147

and also these...
http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt65_1712_-cma81-cmo110-ct346/Porsche/996--911--1997-05/996-C4-3-4L-1997-08-01/DesignTek-D220-Coilover-Suspension-Kit/

Has anyone used either set on here or are there any other budget options?

Thanks

Last edited by fred666 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

spectraluk
Approved Trader

2004 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you put budget coilovers on a 911??

if you're not bothered about handling and only interested in the cosmetics of the way the car sits - buy some shorter springs?

Spectral Print Ltd - Design | Print | Web
[click here to preview our work]

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because the lower centre of gravity that adjustable coilovers would bring, albeit budget or top of the range would still improve over standard imo.

Ive ran nitrogen filled coilovers, gaz, fk's, bilsteins, eibach coilovers and springs / dampening setups in the past i've tried a few few setups/brands.

In this instance i'd like a lower centre of gravity and a better stance to the car... on a budget.

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred666 wrote:
because the lower centre of gravity that adjustable coilovers would bring, albeit budget or top of the range would still improve over standard imo.

Ive ran nitrogen filled coilovers, gaz, fk's, bilsteins, eibach coilovers and springs / dampening setups in the past i've tried a few few setups/brands. My last car in particular was very track focussed.

In this instance i'd like a lower centre of gravity for improved handling and a better stance to the car... on a budget.

spectraluk
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't this post be on the VXR forum....!!!?? puh

Sorry but I just can't get my head around why you would put aesthetics above handling and build quality, on a performance car..!?

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never going to handle as well as my previous car, but id like it sat with a nice stance, and improved handling over stock..

If they make budget coilovers for the 996, there's obviously a demand. its just finding someone brave enough to admit they've ran them on a 996 and how they perform.

bobsan
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^what he says (Spectralux)^^^

could well shoot yourself in foot here

spectraluk
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with it, would be interesting to see how you get on... Grin

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see what your saying and i expected this exact response, but im hoping someones brave enough to say they have experience with budget 996 coilovers.

im on a budget that doesnt stretch any further... and leaving it stock isnt an option

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want cheap and need to go lower you would be best considering just changing the springs unless there is an issue with your original shockers. If you want better handling you could find the cheap coil overs may not really help much unless you know how to set them up correctly. It would take time and more money doing this right.

In theory you already have a well set up car that took millions in development to get that way, it almost has a standard coil over set up anyway. I'm not sure what you were driving before but it must of been really good to handle better than a modern 911.

I lowered mine to get the look right and the handling does seem about the same as before I did the lowering, I only changed the springs though.

Tinker
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred666 wrote:

Ive ran nitrogen filled coilovers, gaz, fk's, bilsteins, eibach coilovers and springs / dampening setups in the past i've tried a few few setups/brands.

In this instance i'd like a lower centre of gravity and a better stance to the car... on a budget.

The aesthetic aspect needs consideration, too, of course. Not only will the car sit lower, but also needs to be seen to have been given a lower stance. Indeed, there are those who argue that enhancement of the kinaesthetic experience of both driver and observers in such cases is essential. This explains the side decals or 'go-faster stripes' on many cars, of course.

simon_house
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infrasilver wrote:
I lowered mine to get the look right and the handling does seem about the same as before I did the lowering, I only changed the springs though.

I've lowered previous cars on quality lowering springs and found the handling to be either unchanged or improved slightly so it's definitely a consideration for my 996. However, I found increased tyre wear on the inner edges of at least the front tyres when lowered, even after re-alignment. Have you noticed any increased tyre wear on yours? And are using standard geometry settings on the lowered chassis? At a guess the X74 chassis settings should be something like for a -30mm drop for instance??

Apologies for being slightly off topic Question

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_house wrote:
infrasilver wrote:

I've lowered previous cars on quality lowering springs and found the handling to be either unchanged or improved slightly so it's definitely a consideration for my 996. However, I found increased tyre wear on the inner edges of at least the front tyres when lowered, even after re-alignment. Have you noticed any increased tyre wear on yours? And are using standard geometry settings on the lowered chassis? At a guess the X74 chassis settings should be something like for a -30mm drop for instance??

By lowering a car you are essentially cambering in the setup so this will explain inner tyre wear. although to camber in the wheels 'naturally' it has to be pretty low.

Infrasilver - I haven't come from a boyracer fwd hot hatch which i 'claim' to handle, I previously drove a well specced vx220, so im all to familiar with handling, Most would say a perfect handling car from factory and id almost agree if it wasnt for the fact of upgrading to Gaz Gold with 425F & 475R Spring rates - perfect for a fast road setup...

If i was in the position to pay top money for coilovers i would, but as mentioned im on a budget of around £1000, i don't want springs and i can't justify £3000 on a setup when i'll only use the car around 3000miles a year.

keithrobinson
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred666 wrote:
simon_house wrote:
infrasilver wrote:

By lowering a car you are essentially cambering in the setup so this will explain inner tyre wear. although to camber in the wheels 'naturally' it has to be pretty low.

Infrasilver - I haven't come from a boyracer fwd hot hatch which i 'claim' to handle, I previously drove a well specced vx220, so im all to familiar with handling, Most would say a perfect handling car from factory and id almost agree if it wasnt for the fact of upgrading to Gaz Gold with 425F & 475R Spring rates - perfect for a fast road setup...

If i was in the position to pay top money for coilovers i would, but as mentioned im on a budget of around £1000, i don't want springs and i can't justify £3000 on a setup when i'll only use the car around 3000miles a year.

I've researched this and I'd go for Bilstein Yellow B12's with Eibach 30mm springs. This is fairly close to the GT3 setup and stance.

Cost about £1400.

Red993C4
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_house wrote:
infrasilver wrote:

Just adjusting the alignment (toe-in) would not compensate fully for the shorter springs. Use of shorter springs would increase negative camber, causing the increased wear on the inner edges of the tyres you noticed. The camber is also adjustable.

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for design tek coilovers in the end from design911.com. 30mm wouldn't have been enough of a drop for me.

The kit actually looks pretty good for a grand, Its all fitted now and its currently at Avia Speedshop in S Wales for a fast road/track setup. Spring compression, dampening, ride height and camber all being adjusted, followed by the tracking and then to finish off its being corner weighted.

the garage were also impressed with the quality of the kit, and the're used to work on high end/track cars... so its just the final test and thats the ride.

simon_house
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred666 wrote:
I went for design tek coilovers in the end from design911.com. 30mm wouldn't have been enough of a drop for me.

The kit actually looks pretty good for a grand, Its all fitted now and its currently at Avia Speedshop in S Wales for a fast road/track setup. Spring compression, dampening, ride height and camber all being adjusted, followed by the tracking and then to finish off its being corner weighted.

the garage were also impressed with the quality of the kit, and the're used to work on high end/track cars... so its just the final test and thats the ride.

Was/is there enough adjustment available to correct the camber after lowering or are after-market linkages required to maintain factory camber settings?

EDIT: Oh and get some pictures up then!

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustable links were provided with the kit. also the units are camber adjustable -i should be getting it back tomorrow, i might pop pics up

fred666
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coilovers all fitted, I won't give much of a review so far as i haven't done enough mileage to say whether i made the right choice or whether i've shot myself in the foot spending less than a grand on suspension...

Rolling shots...

and stationary...

I know the black wheels may not be to many members taste but im over the moon with the work i've put in since purchasing the car 4-5 weeks ago standard.

Sulli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting post. Looking at the options myself, as having just got a 911 and similarly finding it sits too high, I want to achieve a lower look without affecting the handling, and hopefully improving it.
Obviously springs can be bought for a few quid, but without matching shocks it could mean issues (although I have Martin Brown checking out my chassis number to look at what springs may be OK with my factory shocks).
So how do you find the kit? How much was fitting? Did it need much setting up once fitted?
By the way, I think the car looks fantastic Smile

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: