Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying tips please

Ian Perry

Spa-Francorchamps
My wife has had a sucession of BMW X5's now for years ,I have started to look at Cayenne's do they have any significant weakness's ? Will probably go for 3.2 petrol .The BMW's have been faultless [service bills only] so been spoilt, will be used for mainly short with the occasional long journey.Thanks in advance.

avoid 3.2 and Gen 2's are more reliable

Just be done with it and buy a turbo, no real difference in fuel but,loads more smiles per mile!
Not many significant weaknesses....coolant pipes being the main one.

I am looking for one myself soon, looking on the net its cooler pipes and propshaft which you can tested once the engine is warm boot it and listen for a knocking sound?
I am looking at maybe an LPG one ?
Question is there anything to look for?

Thanks for any help.

The 3.2L engine unit is the same from the Golf R32. It is not a Porsche unit.

~ Maxie

Good morning Porsche fan's .
Interested to hear more on why the 3,2 engined Cayenne's should be avoided
Currently X3 3.0i so fuelwise i,m already braced & ready :wink:

tregger said:
Good morning Porsche fan's .
Interested to hear more on why the 3,2 engined Cayenne's should be avoided
Currently X3 3.0i so fuelwise i,m already braced & ready :wink:

Main problem is that it is under powered, as a result fuel economy is no better than the 4.5 V8, if that's not a problem then it's not too bad but with watch out for the used spec as it can often lack the main toys from the other models.

Ian Perry said:
My wife has had a sucession of BMW X5's now for years ,I have started to look at Cayenne's do they have any significant weakness's ? Will probably go for 3.2 petrol .The BMW's have been faultless [service bills only] so been spoilt, will be used for mainly short with the occasional long journey.Thanks in advance.

make sure the collant pipes have been done

other than that main weaknesses are cardan shafts and coil packs but nothing you can do about that pre-purchase

go for the S or the turbo

the turbo economy is different in my experience, around town alarmingly so

my S did 16mpg over 2 years and 17k miles and that was OBD so more like 15.5

fabulous cars though ... really miss mine

v6 in my experience spends a lot of time shifting through the 'box to get it moving.
v8 much less so, and turbo even better due to flatter torque

centre prop shaft bearing is common (relatively) not a bucket load of cash to fix though, and yes hard acceleration then over run should have it grumbling if an issue

coolant pipes on V8s do let go - though its hardly endemic - I had my turbo pipes done whilst in for a service as a precaution -was about 1K to fix at opc

air suspension compressors do fail - cheapish fix available as its basically a VW unit

check if the rear washer works - if the pump runs but nothing comes out, the pipe may have come off - sounds trivial, but the water runs all through the rear electrics if it does come off ! dead cheap fix, as there is an updated nozzle the solve the problem;
on the back of this check the rear side cubby holes in the boot where the ECUs are for water ingress - big problems ahead if there is any dampness there

Make sure all electrics work - can be a ***** to fix if non functional

£ for £ great cars though !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back