Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Classic body work

Lanks

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a C3 something I have liked for some time. I have a couple of questions I hope a kind member or two can help me with.
The history states Carrera in a few places but also SC its R reg and is a bit of a project but something I'd like to do. Been stored and ran only a few miles every now and again for the past 25 years or so.
The VIN is 9117600461. can some kind of search be done?

I have a sale doc. which has it as a 911 Carrera 3 sport, front a rear spoilers, extended arches and turbo wheels, copper metallic with cork conolly hide trim, elec sunroof, tinted elec windows, radio/stereo and elec aerial. Which it has/is.

I have a few bits I've spotted I'm not sure are correct or not if I could ask the too?

The body work is not looking too good. Had a re-spray in the original colour 27 years ago, here are some pic's

15072012712.jpg

15072012715.jpg

Looks to be surface bubbles but not sure? There are a few other small rust blisters like the one just back from the bonnet (you can see the tint of rusty orange) around the 5mm in length here and there.

15072012714.jpg

Sorry wrong way round. Looks like paint reaction and next to the wrinkles there is some cracking where the top coat is lifting just above the black decal.

15072012717.jpg

The worst bit on the whole car is this under the headlighjt, it has cracked open!eeek is it patchable or a new wing? cost?

Full repsray in order (z6z6) I'm thinking 5-6K but unsure on possible problems with the rust bubbles. Ideas and advice please.

Next bit is floor pan, sills kidney bowls, inner wings all look good on first inspection new MOT too so structure looks pretty good.

Not so good is it looks like oil has seeped through the rusty but in one piece exhaust and is smoking when hot, Ideas on likely oil leak (engine bay is pristine) and cost advice on swapping the exhaust.

Final quick one, something I cant seem to find in any forum is this, what are these levers for by the hand brake, heater something???

15072012704.jpg

Fingers crossed, going back for a second look this weekend when taxed and ready to drive.

Any advice and help greafully recieved.

Many Thanks

L

Unless you have money to burn i would leave that alone.

:yeah:

:welcome:

There does look to be a lot wrong with that car, unless the purchase price is very low (5k?) and you are willing to invest significant time and money turning this car around, I would stay well away. Rust bubbles usually indicate something more serious (an ice cube didn't sink the Titanic after all!).

As it's a R reg it's a '76, so it's a Carrera 3 not an SC. If you're seriously considering buying this car then I would recommend a Porsche Pre-purchase Inspection ("PPI") from someone like Peter Morgan (you can Google the website). It'll cost a couple of hundred pounds but could save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

Good luck :thumb:

My 993 cost less to buy than my 3.2 needed spending on it's bodywork.

(and I bought it thinking it needed a wing and a few bits of rust sorting)
:dont know:

Take it to a proper Porsche body shop that does older shells on a regular basis (NOT any body shop), get them to look it over. If you can't do that then don't buy it.

I'd really like a 3.2 again, in fact thats an understatement, I would LOVE a 3.2 again. But I'd need £25k. Either to buy a £25k recently restored car (properly done, no patching). Or, to buy a £15k car with a good engine and have the ten grand left over for the stuff it needs.

:)

Thanks for the advice so far all.

Today I have found out it has had an engine rebuild only 275 miles ago at considerable cost at an IPS including clutch and that it is indeed a Carrera 3.0 sport.

It has also rebuilt calipers, new disks and tyres too.

Until I get it up on a ramp for a look I'm still not sure, I have some experienced 911 help at hand so we will see.

Interior is pretty mint and original, deep sports seats, radio, carpets good...

15072012701.jpg

I've looked for a classic 911 for some time inparticular a C3 in its original 70's gear. They seem to be very few around any members own one here?

What would this one be worth as is?

What would it be worth sorted out?

I'm weighing up the costs and there are so many differences out there on the net, need some realistic ideas from people that know!

I'm thinking possible costs are:
5-6K body work,
£1500 exhaust

Has anyone done a car like this and have some costs please.

I'm no starnger to rebuilds on other cars and classic, just not done a 911, so I can and would like a bit of a project, however if costs/time dont add up I will take the advice and run.

Thanks again will keep you all posted on what I find out next.

Lanks said:
What would this one be worth as is?

What would it be worth sorted out?

Impossible to say from the pictures mate. Here is my lovely 3.2, sound engine and gearbox, new clutch, excellent black sports seats and interior.

500rsz_dsc02859.jpg

DSC03117.jpg

I walked away once the total (body parts was well over your entire budget) reached £9k before paint.

Like I said, the utmost friendly advice I can give you is ignore any 'good bodyshop' or a mate 'that really knows about cars' and get it to a Porsche bodyshop for a look over before you start getting bits together.
:thumb: [/img]

You really do need to get an expert to look at the bodywork. Pictures always look better than reality and parts and labour on fixing an old 911 can be very expensive.

For example new front wings will around £1000 each. Looking at the pictures you could need new front wings, work on the scuttle around the bottom of the front window, new sills and kidney bowls, work on the rear quarters, floor, etc, etc, etc.

You could easily spend 20K on fixing bodywork and paint. But maybe not - so an expert opinion on the car would be the best money you can spend if you really are keen on the car.

Carrera 3 is quite a rare car and one in good condition would be a lovely car.

Ian.

I would stick a post up on impactbumpers.com a lot of C3 experts that will guide you in the right direction, £15-25K market wise for a good one seems to be price range

Thanks all so far.

Gary I've had a look on the impact bumpers site but found it difficult to navigate. I'll have another go.

I have forgotten more about the Carrera 3 than I remember, however fairly sure it was the last model before proper immersion zinc coating, the SC has this and still rusts a bit. These things unfortunately rust like crazy, are quite rare having been made for a short time during a fuel high price. But they rust like crazy. I had one and enjoyed it, but it was a huge upgrade to the SC (one of the later 210HP ones), a car that I have extremely fond memories of.

Sorry to add to the list of "run away", but its likely to be a money pit and you will never chase the tin moth out of it in the UK with the salt and the damp.

Try this out for a bit of background... Making me nostalgic....

This site would have you believe that it was a better car than the SC, I for one felt the SC was a vast improvement.

http://911carrera3.com/

Lanks said:
Thanks all so far.

Gary I've had a look on the impact bumpers site but found it difficult to navigate. I'll have another go.

It's a good forum, and very busy which explains why the 3.2/SC section here is very quiet.

The guys on there are very helpful, and it's WELL worth shouting out for parts.

Front wings (Porsche) are indeed nearly a grand each, I mentioned I needed one and got two brand new for a grand!

Likewise the bumpers (laminated ally hence they sponge water and corrode inside out) are a staggering £700 each, but via the impact bumper forum I got one new and one used for £500. I guess there are a lot of guys like me who packed in the idea of doing it and were left with the parts.

Have a good look out for rear wings.

They need chopping at the bottom for sills, at the door opening for B pillars, above the rear lights, and although it seems drastic, patching every edge is almost as labour bad as fitting a new wing, if you can find one cheap grab it! (£1000+ new).

Ultimately, everyone knows what to expect on a restored car. The lack of arch liners means those wings and sill have been literally shotblasted over 30 years from the inside out (hence the headlight area and bowls).

Check out the project pages on the IB forum, there is some really positive stuff there and it was my driving force to restoring mine.

Resored properly (ie not patched) there IS money in it, you would have a £25k car if you sold it after resto. I always had this in mind (as long as I finished it, if it broke me, I could get the money back).

:)

Got it on impactbumpers today. Hadnt validated it! :?:

Please post on the impact thread so members see it as I need as much info/advice as poss for the second viewing at the weekend. :thumb:

I've looked at the SC's, they sure are a classic 911 very similar to the C3, the thing I'm thinking of is the rareity and saving a rare low miles, original car that Porsche made very few of. If you know of any other C3's for sale let me know please.

I have taken your advice and got a IPS to help and have a 44 point body/rust check sheet to go through once we get the car in the workshop.

Keep you posted

I wish you the very best of luck mate. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back