Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I,ve driven the 991

mick997

Trainee
Well I had read the numerous articles, the youtube videos , the evo reviews , the launch videos......but there's nothing like driving the 991 yourself, and at the weekend at silverstone I had my opportunity..........it is so hard to describe.....the seats are softer and more comfortable, the steering wheell feels feels thicker..more plush....but and a big but..for the first time driving a 911 I did,nt feel connected with the wheels and turning, can'nt explain why but it felt as if I was in my daily bmw 5 sport. Even the dimensions are larger, the screen further away, and surrounded by copious amounts of dash. The accelerator is precise but electronic link...not unique I know. The Pdk shifter looked liked a peice of art with fine embossing and markings .....Its quick ..really quick ...but I recall after stepping out ...I couldnt recall the impression of flat 6 wail.... I fear gentleman we may well be driving the last of line 911 before the 991.

991 is lovely ..but somehow I felt something had gone forever. may be I'm wrong you have to try it yourself :dont know:

Where exactly did you drive it at Silverstone? I was also there at the weekend but the handling circuit was closed off to allow for Porsche parking. I also drove the 991 but on the kick plate area and I don't think I had enough time to give the forum a view of how the car drives or handles (I never got beyond 3rd gear for eg.), therefore I can't say that I've really driven the new car. When you say you've driven the 991, what exactly do you mean? Did you mean you drove thru all the gears, cornered at highish speeds, accelerated/braked hard, etc etc.? If your drive was also on the kick plate or the low friction surface then it's not really a drive imo.

~ Maxie

The 991 is probably every sportscar you'll ever need.

The noise was lovely, then I turned on the PSE :eek:

Really quite odd against the trend of every new modern car getting quieter and quieter, either because they can (more and better materials = progress or luxury) or because a Euro man with a clipboard says so.

I guess we have the 991's tuned induction and "Sound Symposer" resonance membrane behind the rear seats to thank.

You almost don't need PSE (not quite).

Taking the car out, it handles almost completely flat with minimal body roll, then you turn the PDCC on.

That will be the new wider stance, better weight distribution, retuned PASM and exemplary passive chassis doing their stuff before PDCC even gets a look in.

Even under vivid acceleration on such a cold and wet day, the perfectly placed tyres never even lit up the traction control light, let alone the rubber.

The traction and grip on this RWD Carrera is astonishing, the forthcoming AWD and wide-body's handling and road holding will be something to behold.

I didn't notice any lack of steering feel, but then I didn't notice any particular presence of steering feel either. Although this could be down to any steering inputs being translated flawlessly and accurately to an amended line, no scrabble, no under- or over-steer, no characteristic bob or dart from the nose. Perhaps with such verbatim responses you don't need to feel every lump and bump in the road, every change in surface grip?

(VW) DSG was good, PDK1 was better, PDK2 is something of a revelation.

It's not so much it replaces a manual, but with such instantaneous and smooth changes it's almost like you have just one gear.

The power transfer and acceleration are at once linear and phenomenal.

Whether accelerating from a standstill, or overtaking other traffic, the resultant slingshot from a floored throttle is awe inspiring, particularly from what is in effect almost the entry-level model (admittedly £90k+).

This version of PDK I found impossible to trick: it was always in the right gear.

That was unless it was in no gear.

Slightly bizarrely, at almost any let off from the throttle (except whilst cornering), the gearbox drops into "coast" mode and the gearbox selects neutral and the engine drops to an 800 rpm idle. It took me back to my first driving days, and popping the gear into neutral or simply depressing the clutch on hill descents to save fuel.

Another fuel saver (and a first for the 911), is the new stop-start system that kicks in immediately any time the car comes to a complete standstill. This is also a little disconcerting initially, mostly the sudden loss of the sound symphony, replaced by the noises from the outside world, or more likely the quiet of the outside world. 

You soon get used to it, though. 

Before the throttle has even moved a mm, the engine has instantly, and without drama, fired back up into life - and again in the right gear. If anything, it just seems like the soundtrack has been put on pause before resuming seamlessly from where it was at the press of a button, not the reality of a 200kg 3.8 litre 400 BHP flat-six being spontaneously started up. There certainly isn't any pause in the intending to go and the car moving off as expected.

The interior of the 991 is stitch perfect.

The quality of materials used, fitting and even tactile feel of the buttons are all beyond reproach.

The centre console may have been inspired by the Panamera or Cayenne, but with the seat set low, the feeling is of a cocooned sports cockpit, rather than luxo-barge.

The view out of the side window includes the new curiously anti-Tardis wing-mirrors: they look enormous housings, but have really quite small mirrors inside.

Even so, during the drive, the sheer performance of the 991 did get me asking myself if I REALLY needed all those savings.

However, the pivotal moment came on returning back to the OPC and parking the 991 up against its 997 predecessor.

Somehow the 993-esque headlights of the 997 seemed even more appropriate.

It was almost an exact replay of the day the short, stubby, sit-up and beg, upright 993 saw its future as it stood next to the sleek, stretched, aerodynamically designed (soap-on-a-rope), technologically advanced 996.

My heart skipped a beat.

For me the shorter, narrower, taller, slower, rawer, flawed 997 was suddenly the more loveable, cute even, more iconic, more seminal, more NINE ELEVEN.

The digital 991 with all its technological tours de force was somehow more anodyne, its responses a little too perfect, a little too engineered, a little too PS3.

The 991 is extraordinary, but at the same time, extra ordinary.

The 991 may be every sportscar you'll ever need, but for me, it won't be every sportscar I'll ever want.

For me, it generates no desire.

For me, a little of bit of the 911's soul has died.

@GT4: that was a heart-moving, almost speech-like write-up!

You're not alone in feeling that way. Looks like the 997.2 may be going in the same direction as the 993, although with less magnitude. In fact, a senior O.P.C. dealer told me that a well-specced 997.2 is likely to have quite a following in a few years' time, in part owing to it's (relatively) greater true-to-its-roots character.

GT4. I think you have described it spot on...thats it....thats how I felt stepping out of the 991 after the drive.

Mp3 vs LP iif it were the music world. LP had it problems but somehow it gave more .Mp3 / 4 / aac continued to evolve . But you still remember the LP experience....its very different.

..someone will be a long to enlighten me what a kickplate is..?

Just visit OPC , worth booking test drive in advance especially at weekends.

Informal/generic for "skid plate".

Technically a "kick-plate" is an actual plate in the ground that quickly moves and depending on what tyre(s) are on it at the time, deliberately upsets the car's balance - as if you had hit oil or ice.

For the full effect, the surrounding area is either wetted (sprays), low friction coating or both.

You can also try to mimic by simply flicking the car on a low friction surface too (the cool thing about the "kick-plate" is both its severity and timing being out of the driver's control for the best effect).

porsche911---the-porsche-driving-experience-centre-silverstone_2.jpg

Thanks GT4, I don't doubt you test drove the car as opposed to the OP.

~ Maxie

For me, when I'm on the road and see a 997 I'm thinking its a damn fine looker.

I'd like to see a 997 with the standard badge replaced with just the 'P O R S C H E' lettering on the boot....I think most casual observers would think its the new one and better looking for it :)

Are 997's being lowered and tweaked out there yet, like its come of age?

Eloquently written GT4, what a great review.

Jam911 said:
Eloquently written GT4, what a great review.

My thoughts exactly. I was half expecting to see some journo's moniker quoted at the bottom - very well written indeed GT4 :thumb:

I don't know whether it is because I actually own a 997 that I'm now inclined to defend the outgoing model, or if I genuinely and objectively prefer it over the 991? For me it has only ever been about the 911 turbo, so I'll have to wait until the new one comes along before I can really start to compare...

Stop-start only activates when the engine is up to temperature and the coasting feature activates all the time

991, all you'll ever need :worship: :worship: :thumb:

GT4, excellent write up, I was also expecting to see a link or journalist's name attached to that.

When I bought the GT2 OPC West London said I can have a 991 on loan, tempted to take them up on it to see what it's like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back