Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carbon Fibre Heater Bypass

cambjones

Barcelona
Some have already installed this (I think blindspot, James Hunt and probably a few others.)

If this is on your list I just spotted Design 911 has them at a discount at the moment.

I am pretty sure this is the Fabspeed one as the description is lifted from their site

Fabspeed $325 + tax + Shipping from the US
Design911 £143 (Inc VAT) Free Shipping.. pretty good deal.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod4...More/?LGWCODE=96416700396410640302;29296;1492

You also need to buy

- 964.106.403.02 (964 shroud) - £36 from Type911)
- 993.211.312.50 (Rubber sleeve from the turbo) - £17 these need to be orded in from DE.

This turbo rubber sleeve apparently makes it easier to fit as I think some have struggled a little during the installation.

JH this might help with yours??.

Instructions here (They don't mention the turbo sleeve)
http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatalog/pdfs/RS-Cup-heater-bypass-pipe-964-993.pdf

I bought one from a fellow 993er who fitted his and gave me the tip on the rubber sleeve extension

The chap from Type911 mentioned heating the top part also for an easier fit.

I'm installing mine in the next few weeks

In case you are wondering.. removes a few 4kg and gives you some more space in the engine bay, ok and something carbon to look at. I've seen claims of increased HP as less energy being drained from the engine to run the fan (that you remove)... not sure if that is the case or not though.

....but how many points will you be deducted from the best-of-show competition at your friendly PCGB meeting?

You will need a big box of tissues for those wet days when when the window will mist up ask APW, he has removed his already

Also removing the heater blower will do strange thing to fan speed in side the car It did on my 964 but when I reconnected the fan all went back to normal

You will also need a plastic T piece and some extra hose to connect the distributor vent pipe and the vent pipe for the tail lights as that carbon pipe as it only has 1 outlet

DSC_0516.jpg

Yep, as Clinchy says (he advised me when I installed mine ref the t-piece connections). Mine was a bastard but got there in the end and is now fitted correctly. Might actually try one of these rubber sleeves Cameron. I still get lots of warm air in the cabin and havn't noticed an increase in engine temp as I know a secondary purpose for the fan was extra cooling for the engine. All in all well worth doing. I love mine.

JAMES

I got mine from design 911. Was a pain putting in, as the lower lip on the heater pipe is too small to remain mated to the fan duct without superglue!

The stiffness of CF really does;t help - I'm sure your turbo rubber sleeve will help by adding some flex.

The only negative is the reduction in volume of air from the heater vents. Sure it won't be a problem heat wise, but it has definitely affected the de-mist. Still works, just takes much longer.

Looks great though, and that's the main thing.

You can always use the rubber seal thats at the top of the blower fan you remove to make the seal and bridge teh gap at the bottom of the heater duct. Its what Ive ended up doing

Saves having to buy another piece.

You can sort the front fans out by removing one of the engine bay relays and jumping one of the pins to the coil (theres lots about this on Rennlist)

But in truth, the part looks lovely but doesnt fit properly, which is pretty poor for something as expensive as this. Guess the factory plastic piece fits ok?

Thanks for the tip on the relay 917k... That reminds me I forgot to mention, Lee, the chap that sold me his spare one, also said

Remove the 30amp fuse plus that relay.
photo.jpg

Is this what you were referring to 917k?

Hey clinchy, what is the T piece T piece and some extra hose you mentioned I need to get? I assume I get this stuff from the local hardware...

Cheers

cambjones said:
Thanks for the tip on the relay 917k... That reminds me I forgot to mention, Lee, the chap that sold me his spare one, also said

photo.jpg

Hey clinchy, what is the T piece T piece and some extra hose you mentioned I need to get? I assume I get this stuff from the local hardware...

Cheers

We used some washer jet hose and 3 way t piece :thumb: It's only to draw/feed warm air :thumb:

cambjones said:

photo.jpg

Cheers

See post 92 here (looks to be a different relay)

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ssie-964c2-maintenance-diary-pic-heavy-7.html

Thanks 917k for this~!!! I will obviously need to do a lot more research on this...

JH/Blindspot/Clinchy did you do any of this when you installed yours?

Nope, none of that. It has been fitted for a few weeks with no problems and no sign of battery drain.

No sign of odd behaviour from CCU, less the slow de-mist.

Car has been in to Precision since fitting for other reasons, and Johnny spotted a resistor I'd forgotten to remove from the engine compartment, but didn't say anything about relays/resistors on the main board. I'm sure he would have said if there was a problem.

Those threads seem to all relate to 964s, maybe that's the difference?

Had my tube on for a while, it's a genuine Fabspeed. Begger to fit, the top needed trimming carefully to fit the shroud and the bottom doesn't ( I'll get a turbo tube. The front fans would only operate at half blow even with the electronic mods per p.car forum.
There is a post on Rennlist of a mod which solves the problem, it involves running a 12v+ from the ignition circuit to a blower relay connection thus fooling the ccu that the blower is still present.
Car not with me at the mo. so can't remember which contact.

cambjones said:
Some have already installed this (I think blindspot, James Hunt and probably a few others.)

If this is on your list I just spotted Design 911 has them at a discount at the moment.

I am pretty sure this is the Fabspeed one as the description is lifted from their site

Fabspeed $325 + tax + Shipping from the US
Design911 £143 (Inc VAT) Free Shipping.. pretty good deal.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod4...More/?LGWCODE=96416700396410640302;29296;1492

You also need to buy

- 964.106.403.02 (964 shroud) - £36 from Type911)
- 993.211.312.50 (Rubber sleeve from the turbo) - £17 these need to be orded in from DE.

This turbo rubber sleeve apparently makes it easier to fit as I think some have struggled a little during the installation.

JH this might help with yours??.

Instructions here (They don't mention the turbo sleeve)
http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatalog/pdfs/RS-Cup-heater-bypass-pipe-964-993.pdf

I bought one from a fellow 993er who fitted his and gave me the tip on the rubber sleeve extension

The chap from Type911 mentioned heating the top part also for an easier fit.

I'm installing mine in the next few weeks

In case you are wondering.. removes a few 4kg and gives you some more space in the engine bay, ok and something carbon to look at. I've seen claims of increased HP as less energy being drained from the engine to run the fan (that you remove)... not sure if that is the case or not though.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the old thread revival!

I'm struggling to fit a carbon bypass and have just bough the 993.211.312.50 (Rubber sleeve from the turbo) to try to help.

Does anyone have any photos of how it looks fitted? Does the rubber sleeve just fit betwee bypass pipe and shroud and clamp down?

Thanks
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back