Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S Recalled for Fire Risk

infrasilver

Recall for fuel line connection issue.

U.S. recall announced.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120326/CARNEWS/120329875

Porsche will recall selected 2012 911 Carrera S models to repair a problem with a fuel line. The company says interference between a coolant line and the fuel line might cause the fuel line to disconnect at a quick connector.

If the fuel line becomes disconnected, a leak might occur, leading to misfiring or stalling. More importantly, a fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source could cause a fire.

More than 1,200 vehicles are being recalled to replace the fuel line, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in April. Owners can contact Porsche at (800) 767-7243 to find out whether their cars are affected.

It can't be urgent. It said the recall is due to start in April!

The fuel could leak, causing a fire. This will be corrected free of charge, that's customer service at its best!

:eek:

peters said:
It can't be urgent. It said the recall is due to start in April!

The fuel could leak, causing a fire. This will be corrected free of charge, that's customer service at its best!

:eek:

The delay in starting the campaign is more likely to be due to the time required to get the right information (and possibly parts) to the dealers so that the checks/work can be carried out correctly.

Porsche is recalling 1,232 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S coupes because the fuel line may become disconnected, increasing the risk of a fire, according to the USA National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

"Interference between a coolant line and a fuel line may cause the fuel line to become disconnected at the quick connector," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "If the fuel line becomes disconnected, a fuel leak may occur. A fuel leak could lead to the engine misfiring or stalling, increasing the risk of a crash. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source could increase the risk of a fire."

Porsche told USA safety regulators that no fires have occurred. The German automaker said that the first case of a leaking fuel line outside of the U.S. was reported in December 2011. The first case of what it calls "apparent fuel leakage" was reported from the USA on February 10.

"Porsche is not aware of any events involving accidents, personal injury or property damage," said Porsche in documentation filed with the federal government.

The affected cars were built from October 26, 2011, through January 24, 2012. Porsche did not identify the component supplier.

Porsche dealers will replace the fuel line with a new fuel line. In addition, a spacer ring will be fitted to the fuel line in order to prevent contact between the fuel line quick connector and the coolant pipe.

Attachments

• 2012_porsche_911_fire_2_164.jpg
    2012_porsche_911_fire_2_164.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 5,122
This happened to me about 3 weeks ago. shortly after starting the car I could smell petrol and the smell got worse as I continued driving. Eventually the car stopped on a main road near West Byfleet (highly embarrassing) due to the fuel completely draining from the fuel line. I called Porsch Assistance who sent a low loader to collect the car and delivered it to my OPC.. Thinking about it afterwards, it could easily have caught fire so I was a bit silly carrying on driving after smelling the petrol. Scarey!!!

My OPC tried to play the issue down and returned the car to me after about 5 days. They then assured me that everything was now OK.

However, earlier this week they told me that they received a call from Porsche and asked me to return the car to check if a spacer had been fitted.

I thought this was a one off so have not mentioned it on this forum.

Now that I have heard of other experiences I seriously suggest that all 991 owners get their cars checked out at their OPC a.s.a.p.

I suppose that's what happens when you try and make a Porsche more like a Ferrari!

May be it should come with a fire extinguisher :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back