Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dashboard reflection on 991

waldorfsalad

I've had my 991 for about two and a half months now and although I think it's a great car the one thing that has bugged my is the reflection of the top of the dashboard on the windscreen. This seems a lot more pronounced than on my old 997. I am not sure if it's because the windscreen is more raked or because of the biege leather (my 997 had black) or a combination of the two.

Anyone else noticed this?

Not 'too' unrelated...

The Early Esprits had the whole interior trimmed to seat colour, I had one with a Magnolia leather full dash. It was almost IMPOSSIBLE to see on a sunny day due to reflection, I actually used a 'letterbox' sized reflection of the black demister vent to see where I was going.

The later Esprits had a black leather dash regardless of the trim colour, so I figure they got wise to it.

None of this helps you, unless you do as I did and opt to chuck a mousemat (upside down,black rubber back) on the dash for a clear, albeit 'TV' view.
:)

Allow a film of grime, dust and dead skin cells to build up on the interior glass surface and your reflective problem is solved - not really ideal though... :oops:

waldorfsalad said:
the one thing that has bugged me is the reflection of the top of the dashboard on the windscreen. This seems a lot more pronounced than on my old 997. I am not sure if it's because the windscreen is more raked or because of the biege leather (my 997 had black) or a combination of the two.

Most light coloured dashtop surfaces will reflect in the windscreeen. I believe Porsche offered a two-tone leather option where the top part of the dashboard is covered in black leather whilst the rest would be beige. Might be worth seeing if this can be retro-fitted. A quick glance of the 991 hardback brochure, p.67, edition 05/11, shows an example of a black dash-top surface and a grey leather interior.

~ Maxie

Thanks for everyones comments.

However, I appreciate there will always be some reflection of the dashboard on the windscreen on most cars, it seems to me to be more pronounced on my 991 and was wondering if anyone else feels the same.

It's made much worse by the beige leather. Can't speak for the 991 but I got a lift from a dealer in a cayenne with a beige dashboard and it was really pronounced. Stands to reason that the darker the leather, the less the reflection.

Did you have a 997 with beige and you are saying it's worse than that?

Actually there is a solution. Polarised sunglasses. I have just tried it in my car (dark interior) and it gets rid of 80% of the problem.

My 997 had black interior and I didn't notice the reflection as much. I think it must be the beige interior. I have just tried wearing polarised sunglasses, and as you say it does not eliminate the reflection completely but does reduce it by about 80%. Perhaps others should consider this if thinking of choosing beige interior.

Thanks goodethernet.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back