Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rumour that next 991 GT3 may only have PDK Gearbox

Porsche News

The Latest News:

~ Porsche is evaluating manual and PDK transmissions for the new GT3.
~ Only one transmission will eventually be offered for sale.
~ The GT3 will debut in 2013.

STUTTGART, Germany "” Porsche is evaluating a PDK gearbox for the next-generation GT3, due next year. August Achleitner, the 911 project chief, confirmed that Porsche's motorsport division is currently testing both manual and PDK versions of the new GT3. Only one transmission will ultimately be offered for sale, and Achleitner reckons the PDK is the favourite to get the nod.

Gear-shift 911s currently account for just 30 percent of sales. "When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint,". A PDK-equipped GT3 would be the next logical step.

Achleitner also confirmed that the next-generation GT3 and GT2 will definitely feature a variant of the electromechanical steering system introduced on the new Carrera. He defended the system, which has been criticized for offering less driver feedback than a traditional hydraulic setup. "The new system only removes the feedback you don't need," he said. "All our race drivers prefer it."

Question, A PDK-equipped GT3 will be faster, but will it be more fun?

Attachments

• porsche_ns717_226.jpg
    porsche_ns717_226.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 19,593
  • mob_825.jpg
    mob_825.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 19,516
Does his mother still choose his gears for him?

Time to stock up on GT3 RS 4.0s, methinks.

Answer: No

Changing gear is part of the driving experience.

My initial thoughts on possible pros and cons of a PDK GT3 -

Pros
-----

1. Faster than equivalent manual
2. Easier to drive
3. Previous (pre-PDK) generations of GT3 may become more desirable (surely a good thing for Porsche as well as owners of these models)
4. Proves Porsche is keeping up with the times

Cons
-----

1. "Less fun" *
2. More expensive? (to buy and repair)
3. Relatively unproven - potential reliability issues?
4. Heavier than manual?
5. Enthusiast revolt and short-term adverse publicity **

* I don't think it will be less fun personally, but a lot of people are saying this - the PDK 991S is a complete blast I can only imagine a GT3 version would be suitably insane - Warp Speed 10
** I can't see this as a huge concern for Porsche, they've made so many changes to the 911 over the years to keep the car relevant and on top, giving the GT3 a PDK 'box is probably just seen as a simple logical progression

For what it's worth, I'd take a 991 GT3 in PDK form - the 991S PDK I drove has swung it for me and convinced me PDK is the way forward.

:coat:

Roro said:

Pros
-----

2. Easier to drive
3. Previous (pre-PDK) generations of GT3 may become more desirable (surely a good thing for Porsche as well as owners of these models)

Cons
-----

1. "Less fun" *
4. Heavier than manual?

* I don't think it will be less fun personally, but a lot of people are saying this - the PDK 991S is a complete blast I can only imagine a GT3 version would be suitably insane - Warp Speed 10
** I can't see this as a huge concern for Porsche, they've made so many changes to the 911 over the years to keep the car relevant and on top, giving the GT3 a PDK 'box is probably just seen as a simple logical progression

For what it's worth, I'd take a 991 GT3 in PDK form - the 991S PDK I drove has swung it for me and convinced me PDK is the way forward.

..Pretty good evaluation :thumb:

SMG only never stopped the CSL being considered a great did it

I have no doubt the PDK GT3 will be similarly revered

I'd be amazed if the GT3 wasn't available with a bespoke version of the PDK gearbox

I'd also be amazed if the GT3 was not also available with a manual gearbox!
:)
Sidicks

I've long wanted a car with a flappy paddle box and bought an E60 M5 in December.

Its ok and fun to an extent but I'm very happy my GT3 is manual :D

Regards
Fred

FredGT3 said:
I've long wanted a car with a flappy paddle box and bought an E60 M5 in December.

Its ok and fun to an extent but I'm very happy my GT3 is manual :D

Regards
Fred

From four years living with an M3 SMG it is okay, but PDK is at a completely different level.

And not that I'll be able to afford one until I'm too decrepit to use it, but come 2013 I will be lusting after a GT3 with PDK

Will it do a little accelerator blip when shifting down gears? That would be nice :) If the PDK box can be told to do what the driver wants, then that solution would be OK with me. Let's not forget that PDK was first used in racing by Porsche. Was it in a 917?

nick w said:
Roro said:

Pros
-----

2. Easier to drive

Cons
-----

1. "Less fun" *
4. Heavier than manual?

..Pretty good evaluation :thumb:

Agreed.

Given the level things have moved on to with the 458 and the McLaren I don't think Porsche will want to leave PDK out of the GT range, if they can only use one gearbox I think they'd be brave to make it manual.

I picked up a PDK Boxster Spyder last week and it's a real leap forward from tiptronic in terms of performance and driver involvement, I've always had manuals but from my first few days with this car I don't think I'll be rushing back to one.

DAB+ said:
Will it do a little accelerator blip when shifting down gears? That would be nice :) If the PDK box can be told to do what the driver wants, then that solution would be OK with me. Let's not forget that PDK was first used in racing by Porsche. Was it in a 917?

964 Group C

Red993C4 said:
DAB+ said:

964 Group C

Interesting video, Chris Harris says 962???

anotherGT2 said:
Red993C4 said:
DAB+ said:

964 Group C

Interesting video, Chris Harris says 962???

Quite rightly, too. :oops:

964 was my typo. :pc:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back