Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Auto-Dim rear view mirror.

weebz

Montreal
Just a thought with people having things retrofitted to their cars,

Does anyone know if an auto dimming rear view mirror can be retrofitted?

If so what's required and what is the likely cost?

Cheers in advance :D

I would say its all contained in the mirror so would just need power running to the mirror.
Cost of parts and a few meters of wire.
Mine has this already was it not standard?

Na, this was another 'option' as per usual with Porsches, same with rain sensors etc etc :|

I was looking into this a while back, apparently you can use a VW/Audi one I read, which is the same design I think. Not sure how reliable it is but may be a cheapeer alternative without the Porsche tax applied.

TBH I never looked into it much more, you can generally find ones on eBay or the like. As for the wiring etc I'm not sure.

Agree on this one annoying not having this as standard.

I looked at A5's a while ago and they are not standard on them either !

I've got one which I retro fitted a couple of years ago, :bandit:

Its apparently from an Audi a8 (d2) and looks exactly like the manual Porsche one that was fitted originally.

I got it from from ebay for around £40 irc.

dodgyfocus said:
I've got one which I retro fitted a couple of years ago, :bandit:

Its apparently from an Audi a8 (d2) and looks exactly like the manual Porsche one that was fitted originally.

I got it from from ebay for around £40 irc.

Got any pictures of this and how you wired it into the car? Still interested in doing this to mine.

Pictures, none (yet) but I could take some tomorrow after work if you like.

It was a while ago that I did it so I can't remember the exact details (without double checking the car), but if you get the right mirror it will just clip straight on the existing mount and there are only 3 wires that require connecting up.
(Switched live, Ground and Reverse)

Anyway (having learnt from my install) if I was to install one again the basic steps would be:-

Extend the (very short) wires from the mirror, across to the passenger side and down behind the A pillar trim.

Then connect the switched live and ground up behind the radio. (assuming its a non MOST car, of course).

Reverse doesn't have to be connected up at all, but its used to get the mirror to automatically clear when reversing which helps a lot at night, (definitely recommended)

As for finding the reverse wire to connect to, that depends:-
If PCM is installed, there is one going to that.
Or "apparently" there's a "weld point" (joint) for the reverse wires under the passenger seat.

(I said apparently because I couldn't find it on my car, so I had to connect it up under the big bit of foam that's behind the rear seats, by running a wire tucked under the carpet all the way from behind the dash, which wasn't actually that hard if I'm honest, may even be easier than moving the seat.)

EDIT - This is the one I've got in mine, although this ones expensive and in the US.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-Au...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1bcef6b5&vxp=mtr

Thread Resurection!
Thought this would be a nice little retrofit, I have autodim mirrors in all my other cars so appreciate it, had a look at the a8 d2 mirror as mentioned in this thread but they have a lot more than 3 wires and the fitment looks different to the standard and 996 mirrors, has anyone done this retrofit themselves?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back