Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Launch Nights - views on the 991 ?

Bieldside

Nurburgring
What is the views of those attending the launch nights

Impressed?
Overwhelmed?
Ordered one having been?

Would be interesting to find out

Went to East London

991 looks better in the flesh, var the rear badging which is hideous

Seemed odd to have 3 cars all the same spec, Carrera S PDK,

Nice event as usual, Cayman S was lovely and had the best seats Ive ever experienced in a car

Having bought my first porsche (997 gen 2) a couple of weeks ago I decided to go to the launch of the new 991 at East London too....I thought I would really like this car and be booking myself one, but to be honest I wasn;t impressed.

I dont like the way the spoiler open on the new model and I though the new mirror were rubbish placed on the door.

Great do as always....me and my friend spent the night trying to work out if t he saxophone player was actually a man and not the attractive woman we initially thought.....lol....transgender.....lol

991 in the flesh looks impressive although not as big as the launch photos suggested.....

- the designer of the rear lights is a genius
- Integrated sat nav in dash instrument is still a work of art
- would have been nice to see the engine through the engine lid
- motorsport derived (& requested) wider and lower car design works well

but there are some rather odd design details, that are disappointing....

- Too much going on in the interior
- Blank Interior Switches
- Mess of Air Con switches hidden behind gear lever
- Crude plastic door mirror carriers
- Rear Spoiler in raised position still looks so wrong
- PORSCHE lettering for Asia markets looks out of place
- shame to lose the painted centre consol in exterior car colour

and were 3.8 S cars but with buttons for the PDK and sunroofs, not sure how many sunroof car's will be ordered! but all cars only had standard seats and no sports seats on view

all with list prices of 95k to £100k, which makes the current 997 GTS a bargain !

be very interested to see how the 3.4l Carrera performs on 19" wheels and a simpler spec at sub £80k, which unlike the 997 might be a car we could see more on the uk roads (?)

also the car still uses a key to start up, with all those buttons and gizmo's not sign of a starter button !

Dislike the centre console wedge (not only adds weight and visual heft, but you lose the cubby or oddments area that would have been at the base of a normal design, also the band around the wedge pushes your knee over and the lower edge is unpleasant when bracing against).

Dislike the E-class style "mood" lighting (ring of light around rear view mirror / front roof/map lights)

No manuals or sports (or to be precise Sports Plus) wing-backed seats on show.

The elephantine door mirrors are a disgrace and lose any simple elegance of the 993 tear drop or 996 organics, even the styled/chiseled look of the 997.1s.

At least all of those predecessors had body-colour housings. For some reason (not enough paint :dontknow:) the 991's are half satin black textured plastics (a la 1970s impact bumpers).

The engine lid/spoiler combo seems unnecessarily complicated and ugly. At least the old actuated spoiler would raise and force more air into the engine bay and air intake as well as push the car down.

Didn't like the Vauxhall Calibra sunroof.

Don't like the recessed rear lights, looks like a dirt trap and I don't know why they couldn't be flush a la 996, 993 (apart from the fact it would look like the spitting image of the 928 rear, especially if they embossed the PORSCHE in the PU - actually that sounds quite nice vs the Chinese bling).

Perhaps the C4S will sort out the rear with a full width reflector (with 993/964 style embedded PORSCHE logo?).

The white one looked nice and they sounded mighty fine (driving round outside with the PSE on, vs a bit shrill and artificial indoors just revving in neutral).

Liked the light show front and rear (and even the headlamps work, except perhaps directly side-on).

Like the hidden screen washers (nice attention to detail).

The boot is very wide and deep (the bonnet is just very wide! - although some of that width is down to how it cuts into the front wing).

Liked the Carrera S wheels.

photo.JPG

I shall see what it feels like to drive on 19th Dec at 10:30 am.

Us second-class citizens in the North West finally got to see the 991 in the metal last night (Porsche Wilmslow).

It looked pretty much as expected; not quite as big as I thought it may have been (in isolation), very classy interior and overall definitely a 911. If I was trying to find faults I would say a few of the design details maybe could have been done better (rear looks slightly awkward where the bumper / lights meet the body for example) but overall it's a great evolution to look at (and supposedly a revolution to drive). :thumb:

Other observations? Using a fleet of Cayenne S's to ferry people from the car park to the front door (about 50 yards) is maybe a little excessive (!!) and top marks to Stratstone Ferrari / Maserati next door for staying open late and allowing people the opportunity to get a good look at several 458s :cloud9: , a California :worship:, a 599GTB :twisted: and a new FF :yuk:

Oh and this girl was DJing too... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Krystal-Roxx-Fan-Page/156529811025364?sk=photos

I'm heading along to the launch night at Porsche Centre Belfast this evening - went around to the showroom for a quick drive last night on the way home to see if I could spot any 991's in the service yard or compound but there weren't any to be seen.

Will be interesting to see one as I do believe it will look good in the flesh but, if the words 'it's no 993' don't pass my lips over the coarse of the night, I will be very surprised :D

I went to Hatfield OPC on the 7th Dec. Had to bail out early owing to proper man flu, felt fantastically rough (Wimp), but not before I had the chance to kick a few tyres with Maxi. (Please don't tell me you caught my cold)
As many have said seeing the 991 in the tin rather than in pictures does make a difference. I think I'm there mostly on the documented likes and dislikes so I won't go over them suffice to say though, despite earlier comments months ago by many, I don't see many if any of the reported negatives will in themselves be deal breakers agianst buying one, either now or in 2-4 years time. What's been reported so far is mainly about styling and image, soon we will hear more about driving and performance.
I'll be test driving one at some point in the New Year. No manuals available yet. I have not driven a PDK 997 so I see little point in driving a 991 PDK, I think I will be able to make a far more meaningful comparison by keeping the transmission like for like.

Might be worth bearing in mind for all those that have test drives booked, I'd be surprised if the 991's available will be shod with winter tyres. How much difference this will make to the drive on a cold day I know not, but for longer spirited drives could it be telling. ie, don't be put off if that's the case?

To be honest ALL the different wheels on the launch cars I saw last night looked really good - certainly much better than in the photos. I don't think there was a single design that didn't suit the car... :thumb:

Manuals roll in mid Jan.

Test drive tentatively arranged (assuming they don't get blown away or snowed in).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back