Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First reviews 991 are surfacing

It looks like a major step up from the existing model (which is also very good)

Hi

I am a fan of the 997 and will also be of this new model I am sure, but I would hardly call 0.2s +2mph on top speed a great increase in performance. I am pleased the car is lighter, but it is also longer and wider. Who needs that?

Actually that autocar review was a turn off in many ways. If I wanted a fast quiet refined car with anaesthetised steering I would be buying an Audi.

Berni

berni29 said:
Actually that autocar review was a turn off in many ways. If I wanted a fast quiet refined car with anaesthetised steering I would be buying an Audi.

Berni - to be fair that happened between 993 and 996. It's not a criticism - the water-cooled 911's are ace but they're a different type of car.

For anyone who cares, the torque figure in the Autocar report has been misquoted. I believe it should read 334 lb ft.

Other than that, not sure what to make of the report because they report the steering is not what it used to be even though overall the car is a step forward over the 997. Looking forward to more road tests.

~ Maxie

Roro said:
http://jalopnik.com/5858205/2012-porsche-911-first-drive

Looks like the steering DOES lack feel compared to the 997

....don't want to be the first to say "I told you so" but I can't help myself. :lol:

They fitted the crap VAG electro-mechanical system to what use to be one of the world's best drivers car and now it feels like an Audi.....:frustrated:

They should fit the 996/997 mechanical system to GT's and RS's before they ***** this up too.

Puzzled by some of the Autocar comments. The fidgety front-end maybe relates to older models, not the most recent going by my Gen II. Also it would be interesting to compare the performance to the GTS which has virtually the same power but at lower RPM.
Not much said about using 7th gear in the manual. I suspect that may cause some gripes as it is such a tall ratio, especially for the C2 with its smaller, peakier outputs. Its fine for the PDK which drops down seamlessly but it could be a bind to have to change down on the motorway when slightly baulked or on a gradient.

7th is for relaxed motorway stuff and better economy figures.

I'm reserving judgement until we see the gt and turbo models, and I'll want to compare the steering feel for myself.

At the moment I welcome the extra toys inside, longer wheelbase and wider stance makes for greater comfort and better handling, and who doesn't want more power and better mileage? Still not sold on the bling at the back but I guess that can be debadged but otherwise I think it looks ok...

Unfortunately "ok" isn't really enough to justify spending around £100k on a car... :nooo:

"for a car that sells mainly to older folk who aren't cross-shopping an Exige." - The cheeky bu**er! :evil:

"for a car that sells mainly to older folk who aren't cross-shopping an Exige." - The cheeky bu**er! :evil:

wizard993 said:
Roro said:
http://jalopnik.com/5858205/2012-porsche-911-first-drive

Looks like the steering DOES lack feel compared to the 997

....don't want to be the first to say "I told you so" but I can't help myself. :lol:

They fitted the crap VAG electro-mechanical system to what use to be one of the world's best drivers car and now it feels like an Audi.....:frustrated:

They should fit the 996/997 mechanical system to GT's and RS's before they ***** this up too.

I'm sure it won't make any difference in the real world, I mean, who drives flat out around every corner?

Also, it's been quoted that the new system has non of the faults of the previous model, this quote is from one of the road tests this week.

I had electric steering on my last BM and I couldn't fault it.

Drove two 911 today and they feel alive,I'm sure they can't muck it up too much ,as it's a fundamental part,most cars are devoid of feedback so it was a awesome feeling today to feel a car so alive
I look forward to my car arriving in march !
It's what you think "the customer" not some magazine !thats important

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back