Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 911 - what's missing..???

Sidicks

Just wondered what people think are surprising omissions on the new 911 (and which may appear on the Gen2)...

From me:

DAB radio - it makes no sense to me to offer a TV tuner in the car but no DAD radio (which has been available on Audis, for example, for a number of years).

Radiator grills - if a Ford focus can have electric grills that open and close as required, surely Porsche can do something similar to provide some protection for the radiators when needed.

Sat Nav - Does PCM3 do a full postcode search, or is it still the first 4/5 characters only? I'm sure BMW had full postcode search 10 years ago!!

What are the (sensible) things I've missed...??

:thumb:
Sidicks

As many here will agree....

It's a sports car!! :D

You add all that stuff and it will start piling on the pounds.

PCM3 does the exact same Postcode search as my Audi did, and the wifes current X5 does.

Next you will be asking for active cruise control! :roll:

What the 991 is missing.

1) an innovative front end design. Marketing has once again overruled design and flair.

2) Radiator grills. Despite the fact that every 911 suffers from radiator issues due to the lack of a simple mesh, no change.

3) A satisfactorily resolved rear end. Is it really any better looking than 911's from the past at the back? I don't think so. That big shutline cum spoiler cum edge at the back is awkward. The rear lights look more Buck rogers than classy design.

Summary. there are two schools of thought that will forever be in conflict. And I appreciate each guy tasked with the poison chalice of a 'new' 911 design has to face it.

1) The 911 is a car that should never evolve visually but advance mechanically.

3) The 911 should continually set a new benchmark in terms of packaging (2+2), rear engine, everyday supercar, charismatic visuals.

I think Porsche are stumped. The 911 is a marketing exercise.

The 991 to me is probably mechanically a step up but visually? Buy a good hi spec second hand 997.

Niall

911BlackEd said:
As many here will agree....

It's a sports car!! :D

You add all that stuff and it will start piling on the pounds.
Which I guess is partly my point - DAB radio could be useful to listen to while you are actually driving the car! The TV will only work when the car is stationary!

Which weighs more?!

911BlackEd said:
PCM3 does the exact same Postcode search as my Audi did, and the wifes current X5 does.
So is that full postcode search or not??

If not, does any manufacturer offer this (which is available on a £100 mobile device!)?
:)
Sidicks

Niall996 said:
What the 991 is missing.

1) an innovative front end design. Marketing has once again overruled design and flair.

2) Radiator grills. Despite the fact that every 911 suffers from radiator issues due to the lack of a simple mesh, no change.

3) A satisfactorily resolved rear end. Is it really any better looking than 911's from the past at the back? I don't think so. That big shutline cum spoiler cum edge at the back is awkward. The rear lights look more Buck rogers than classy design.

Summary. there are two schools of thought that will forever be in conflict. And I appreciate each guy tasked with the poison chalice of a 'new' 911 design has to face it.

1) The 911 is a car that should never evolve visually but advance mechanically.

3) The 911 should continually set a new benchmark in terms of packaging (2+2), rear engine, everyday supercar, charismatic visuals.

I think Porsche are stumped. The 911 is a marketing exercise.

The 991 to me is probably mechanically a step up but visually? Buy a good hi spec second hand 997.

Niall

Well 1) and 3) are highly subjective and even then it's hard to have a string opinion until you've seen the car in the flesh.

2) is something I've already mentioned, but you are somewhat exaggerating the number of issues that have arisen!!

:)
Sidicks

They should have put the controls for the suspension and "Sport" settings on the wheel where they would be easily and immediately accessible rather than taking your eyes off the road to fumble around the console.
Also the PASM function should be independent of the Sport button.

Exocet missiles to take out all the middle-lane hoggers? :gunfire:

MHig said:
Also the PASM function should be independent of the Sport button.

Is it not on the Gen II 997?

~ Maxie :?:

Sort of. It comes on automatically if you select the sport or sport plus setting, so you then have to deselect it. Not tried it the other way round ie PASM on in normal mode...

chimp911 said:
Sort of. It comes on automatically if you select the sport or sport plus setting, so you then have to deselect it. Not tried it the other way round ie PASM on in normal mode...

What's the difference between 'Sport' & 'Sport Plus'? In my Gen 1, I have only 'Sport'. Pressing this firms up the dampers, re-maps the throttle and switches on the PSE all at the same time. I wish there was a button for each of these functions; I had thought there were in the Gen 2.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
In my Gen 1, I have only 'Sport'. Pressing this firms up the dampers, re-maps the throttle and switches on the PSE all at the same time. I wish there was a button for each of these functions; I had thought there were in the Gen 2.

~ Maxie

No no no no! It'll end up like a modern BMW M-car where you need to select from one of five settings for throttle response, power, dampers, shift-time, how much support the seats are giving you, how much resistance the doors give when you pull them open etc. etc. :hand:

I'm sure others will be along shortly for a better explanation, but the sport/sport plus options come with the sports chrono package - not sure if this is available for all variants?

Sport: Remaps the engine, sharpens throttle response and eases the traction control to allow a little bit of slip at the back. With pdk it holds gears longer, drops earlier has faster changes and won't go into 7th (unless you are in manual mode).

Sport plus: same as above except it won't change up gear until you hit the red line, has an even faster and agressive gear change and allows even more sideways action before the traction control intervenes. It also allows you access to the stupidly fun launch control!! :grin:

You get 3 buttons on the centre console for sport, sport plus and PASM. Switching sport or sport plus on/off also activates PASM on/off, though PASM can be switched on/off independantly...

Edit : there is also a 4th button to switch all traction control off, but I'm not skilled, brave or stupid enough to mess with that one... :oops:

Lol @ Ant :D

Thanks for the explanation Chimp. Gen1 cars with the optional Sport button don't have the functionality of Sport Plus it would appear. Even though I like to have the car in 'Sport' to hear the exhaust that bit better, I have the PASM turned off. On open roads this is great but around town the (re-mapped) throttle action is a bit too sensitive.

~ Maxie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back