Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First time poster, contemplating a 991

mikecad

Hi all,

I will be coming to the end of my first Porsche ownership in April 2012 (Boxster) and have been looking to the future and specifically the new 991. I've thrashed a 911 around the Porsche Centre in Silverstone, my dealer let me borrow a C4 for the weekend so I've had a good go, enough to know that I really like the cars.

I would be looking for a fairly low spec coming in at around £77000 on a C2 which is quite a bit above what I paid for the Boxster (about £32000 more actually). It's quite a nerve wracking amount of money and that's the only thing worrying me at the moment. It's the old angel/devil sitting on my shoulder.

The monthly payments and Insurance will be quite a bit more than I'm paying now, fine, do you guys bother with trackers? The reduction in Insurance doesn't really pay off at the end of the day but I'd like to hear some opinions. I'd also like to hear from anyone for whom getting their first 911 might have been a bit of a stretch, financially and emotionally :)

Thanks in advance.

Mike...

You'll have no choice about having a Tracker (well, VTS), all new UK Porsches come with one as standard.

It will be your choice to pay the annual fee or not, and that is a simple case of calculating if the Insurance cost with + annual fee is cheaper than the Insurance cost without.

I couldn't get Insurance on my car without paying for the VTS to go 'live', you may have better luck but I would be surprised on a car of that value. On that subject, my only advice to you would be to stay within the limits of what you know you can afford, if you put yourself under too much pressure you won't enjoy the car enough to warrant the worry!! I also think that come next spring you could probably get into a GTS for £60k, I have to say it's (so far) the best 911 I've ever driven.

blue62 said:
On that subject, my only advice to you would be to stay within the limits of what you know you can afford, if you put yourself under too much pressure you won't enjoy the car enough to warrant the worry!! I also think that come next spring you could probably get into a GTS for £60k, I have to say it's (so far) the best 911 I've ever driven.

Good advice which I think you should go for OP, If you're having to think about the cost of a new car you arn't financially stable enough, sorry :friends:

yeah, I paid over £70k for my first 911, and 12 months later had to sell it due to a downturn in business.

Thankfully, I was fortunate enough to be able to buy my second one outright, so I don't have the worry of affordability anymore, but I would agree, keep to what you can afford, and if you can wait a little longer, buy approved used or a different model to avoid the most depreciation.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I've done a couple of Insurance quotes online (compare the meerkat etc) and so far nothing has mentioned requiring a tracker, although I fear that something may come through the post after I've signed up requiring proof of tracker which would be really annoying.

As for the cost, I have plenty saved up so it is a significant deposit but the deposit itself could buy two Ford Fiestas. I think my problem is thinking in those terms, I've always been careful with money, not splashing out too much and this is ripping up the rule book :)

Anyway, should it get the better of me, I'll probably be looking across the model range to the new Cayman S whenever that comes out so if I bottle it I'll still have a great car. The 911 has just been a dream of mine ever since I saw them in Condor Man. Anyone remember that movie?

PROGNOVIACH!

condorman11025tp3.jpg

562.jpg

Don't watch if you are of a sensitive disposition:

GT4 said:
PROGNOVIACH!
Don't watch if you are of a sensitive disposition:

:floor: That was fantastic!! Never seen that before, do you reckon they were real or kit cars?

Now, flame throwers, thats an idea and a half.........

Ah, the old 911's with the exploding fuel tanks. I can see how I was fascinated by it back then, but it looks a bit pants now.

mikecad, if a brand new 911 (991) is a bit of a stretch for you, why not go for a second hand 997 gen2, or a gen1 if you want to spend even less..

If your thinking about how the money could buy two ford fiestas, then it's probably not ideal to stretch out that much on the car, especially as I'm sure the depreciation over the first few years wont be very kind..

M.

martin.997.C4S said:
mikecad, if a brand new 911 (991) is a bit of a stretch for you, why not go for a second hand 997 gen2, or a gen1 if you want to spend even less..

If your thinking about how the money could buy two ford fiestas, then it's probably not ideal to stretch out that much on the car, especially as I'm sure the depreciation over the first few years wont be very kind..
M.

My thinking exactly. For a guide on brand-new depreciation, look at how the previous model depreciated and this will give you a good idea. It's the same idea throughout the whole car industry except in certain cases where there was a revelation and the model didn't depreciate quite as badly eg The Jag XF is a much more of a solid car in terms of residuals than the previous S-type. The latest Jag XJ is the same. However, the Golf MkVI can be seen to be depreciating at the same rate as the Golf MkV. I believe the 991 will follow the 997.

Just my 2p.

| Maxie

Welcome!

I note your mention of monthly payments. Give me a shout. Check out my testimonials on here.

Posting that once a week won't keep the residuals up.

Where's the X51 kit?

Attachments

• blackeds_135.jpg
    blackeds_135.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 9,069

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back