Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

After 48years it's the final halt to the 911 Handbrake RIP!

Porsche News

One of the many details of the new 911, is an electric parking brake.....

as seen on almost every modern Mercedes and a regular feature in most other household car manufacturers....

Before we get into the details of this modern piece of technology and how handbrake turns will be a thing of the past, let us spare a moment for 48 years of service from a design that has barely changed over the last 48 years, the Cable Operated Handbrake....

:flowers: :sad: :friends:

Attachments

• parkingbrake2_815.jpg
    parkingbrake2_815.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 8,668
  • parkingbrake1_106.jpg
    parkingbrake1_106.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 8,668
  • handbrake_649.jpg
    handbrake_649.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 8,668
Not too fussed about this one as you're never really going to do handbrake turns in a 911. I've never really 'trusted' electronic handbrakes though... :dont know:

schwarz993 said:
I've never really 'trusted' electronic handbrakes though... :dont know:

+1
Drove a mates AMV8 that had this feature & didn't like it.
Old skool cable opererated all the way :grin:

I think handbrake turns are a thing of the past. I've personally never felt the need to execute one.

What I don't like however is the whole electronic, button pressing thing as far as a handbrake goes. My mother-in-law's X3 has it - all the new Audis have it. What's wrong with the old school pull break? It's like, part of my driving REGIME!!!

I guess like most things, we'll adapt.

RIP favorite hand-brake system.

I am an air cooled "Luddite" - a simple question.... what happens when all this electric gizmo stuff stops due to no electricity?

Certain things O.K. but would I want to put my faith in an electric hand brake?..... Err NO FRIKKIN WAY - Not in a car :what: :wtf:

Due to the extensive use of aluminium in the new 991's construction, the body-in-white is almost 100 KGs lighter.

Because of this significant weight saving, Porsche have given themselves the latitude to add a further new feature to the 991 - two ceramic brake assist modules will be housed in the front luggage compartment just for this loss-of-battery scenario.

730_0.jpg

Me....... :shooter:

Had a Merc foot brake fail in France - resulting in Mrs P looking for a suitable wheel chock in the hills at the back of Carcassone in the dark - wet night that was the 3rd night of a 12 yr delayed honeymoon - the scars on my back are still raised & fresh over that one :eek:

PabloAU said:
Me....... :shooter:

Had a Merc foot brake fail in France - resulting in Mrs P looking for a suitable wheel chock in the hills at the back of Carcassone in the dark - wet night that was the 3rd night of a 12 yr delayed honeymoon - the scars on my back are still raised & fresh over that one :eek:

Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it sounds like way too much information to be sharing on a public forum :dont know:

"Flogging" is an Australianism for G.B.H of the Lug hole - rest assured it was in a village and no Humans were hurt in the creation of the incident... :hand:

Daughter suggested we went back there (last week over dinner) 16yrs after said incident & I thought the old girl was going to have a conniption...... :floor: :floor: :floor:

PabloAU said:
"Flogging" is an Australianism for G.B.H of the Lug hole - rest assured it was in a village and no Humans were hurt in the creation of the incident... :hand:

No humans you say but what about the animals? :popcorn:

Handbrake turns are not just the MO of the Nova/carpark brigade; they are an important tool in the drivers skillset.

But forgetting that aspect, in everyday life, why would you replace a mechanical device with an electronic one?

The mechanical device rarely causes problems, is reliable and fit-for-purpose.... and as an emergency brake back-up, it's a nice big reassuring thing to grab.

Another electronic gimmick for the sake of a gimmick.

apw2007 said:
PabloAU said:

No humans you say but what about the animals? :popcorn:

We left those with the Grand parents :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

destroy said:
I think handbrake turns are a thing of the past. I've personally never felt the need to execute one.

...ah but the local DIY superstore car park after closing time during the snow and ice last year was simply epic fun with a mechanical handbrake :wink: :lol:

Won't be much fun with an e-brake :sad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back