Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 reported "Electric" steering

PabloAU

An article in this mornings on line news paper (http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/motor-news/iconic-sports-cars-total-makeover-20110729-1i2pg.html).....

Pretty much a rework on what has been mentioned on these fine pages (God I love this site).

One thing that did raise the eyebrow's was there, the mention that the new car gets electric steering???? :?:

Having driven Japanese Snot box's fitted, I cannot remember ever having driven such a Soul destroying, feed back deadening, Fun Police installed experience removing piece of equipment ever fitted to the Porsche :pc:

IMHO the main reason why we buy own & love these cars is for the tactile response from the steering, an integral part of why we choose these cars.....

Albeit never being able to afford one (nor persuade she who should be obeyed but seldom is) that is is the right thing to do.....

Why would you buy one? From my maritime days, Aluminium & Electricity,, coupled with water (Not an insignificant amount in the UK from my experiences there) is not a good recipe.... :dont know: :dont know:

Who would go this path - Comments???????

Spouse's VeeDub has electric steering assist which does not impress me, so I understand and share your concern.
OTOH, Porsche has consistently managed to get much more "feel" out of hydraulic PAS systems than other car manufacturers, so who's to say they won't achieve the same with an electric PAS?
We'll have to wait and see.

Thanks wiz for the pointer - should have guessed the "core" crew would have already dissected this... :floor: :floor: :floor:

Soooo much good stuff on here that I have been very guilty of getting bogged down.......

However the result is the 3.2 has been sold on (project) & the authority for expenditure (AFE) has been approved for the 993 purchase.... :grin: :grin:

All in All a VERY successful Sunday here in the Antipodes...... 8)

your welcome. We try to do a professional job but members work does not carry any" warranty" :grin:

Attachments

• medieval_dissection_143.gif
    medieval_dissection_143.gif
    124.1 KB · Views: 4,335
I think BMW M-cars have persisted with hydraulic while electric has been fitted to their regular models, so I'm a little surprised that Porsche is taking this route...

Anyhow, why should electric power steering have so much less feel than hydraulic?

I would have thought that any form of power assistance is going to deaden the feedback from the tyre/road interface and perhaps with a really sophisticated electric system it could actually be easier to electronically ensure the amount of feel that is allowed back :dont know:

Though just being hydraulic does not guarantee steering feel - see most reviews of Audis for example.

There must be dark and subtle arts at work!

any engineers on here that know the answers?

all the best

tim

wizard993 said:
your welcome. We try to do a professional job but members work does not carry any" warranty" :grin:

No, no - that's fine.

All plaudits to me, all complaints/indemnity claims to:

YMMV
c/o wizard "wiz" 993
PO Box M96/70S
Units 9-11
Corby Business Park
Corby
EX996 TB991

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads