Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Caliper refurb process

infrasilver

As requested.

DIY Caliper refurb.

If you are intending re using your brake flex pipes you will need to clamp them to stop brake fluid loss. The easiest way would be to clamp all 4 flexes and have all 4 Calipers on the bench ready to prep and paint.
SNV30929.jpg

My Calipers were black and most of the lacquer had peeled off leaving a terrible finish on them.
01072011294.jpg

The removal of my Caliper's were with a T55 Torx bit, there are two bolts that need removing for each Caliper. Officially these bolts will need replacing when re fitting. If you still have your original factory bolts fitted they could be Allen head bolts.

Once off the car they were stripped of pads and shims but the seals were left in place. This is now the most important part of the process. Preparation, Preparation, Preparation.

As you know these parts get very dirty with road grime and brake dust.

I started off with hot soapy water with a brush and scrubbed, found it hard to get into all the tight corners so bought toothbrush for that. Then I got some fresh hot soapy water and removed any loose lacquer and started at them with some Scotch Brite pads to give a good key. Get right into the corners. I left all the bleed nipples in place because I was renewing them and plugged up the brake pipe entry.
Let them dry off thoroughly then I de greased a little more with some cellulose thinners on a rag but try to keep away from the seals as much a possible.

Mask the seals and all mounting surfaces up to keep everthing as it should be.

The Yellow paint I decided on was from Halfords and thinned it down to be able to be sprayed through the airbrush I bought from Ebay for £8.
The Calipers were then hung from wire ready for painting. There were several coats of paint to get the Yellow to cover the original Black paint.
02072011303.jpg

Again Ebay was the supplier of the PORSCHE high temp decals for the outer edges of the Calipers. The day after the Yellow paint had dried there was already a really good finish on them but after I applied the decals they needed a coat of lacquer to give them depth.
04072011305.jpg

I have 2k lacquer in my stock of paints but this paint is not to be trifled with. I do have the correct breathing apparatus and do get covered head to toe whenever I paint with 2k. Google it for its effects on us.
Don't use it unless you do have the correct kit.
It does give excellent results though.

New bleed nipples fitted and new DOT4 fluid through its veins. I also fitted goodridge braided hoses and the brakes are a damn site better.
SNV30975.jpg

Great post, I'm sure you'll get a lot of questions now! Thanks for posting. As said before the results are extremely impressive and I hope to see them sometime

:worship:

Good write up, I did mine about a year ago and they still look good, new discs and pads done at the weekend 8)

photo1-1.jpg

P1040103.jpg

Mine were originally silver calipers (being a c4)

BTW what springs did you buy ? I bought HR springs which lower 25mm, I've found these to be more forgiving than the eibach

infrasilver.
They look great, well done (Not to many folks have the bottle to take anything off a Porsche) good on ya :wink:

Great post, thanks.

It's a good job my calipers are in good condition otherwise I'd be having a busy weekend.

How about a write-up on the suspension lowering, because now I have bought some 18" wheels it's looking like that's going to be my next job!

Peter

OP if you fancy making yourself a bit of extra cash I would be prepared to pay you for your services? This is one superb piece of work, and I would dearly love for you to take the work from Porschecaliperrefurbs as I have left loads of messages and no one ever return my call. :pc: :pc: :pc:

gixxeruk said:
Good write up, I did mine about a year ago and they still look good, new discs and pads done at the weekend 8)

photo1-1.jpg

BTW what springs did you buy ? I bought HR springs which lower 25mm, I've found these to be more forgiving than the eibach

They still look good considering you did them a year ago.

The Springs I bought were made by Spax 30mm lowering with same ride quality @ £108 which I thought was a good price, they were a damn site easier to fit than I thought they would be. Didn't even need my spring compressors either just undid the top mount until they were fully extended and they just came off.
I could do a little write up about the springs fitting also if required, it may be of use to someone.

Beast, If I had the time I would do your calipers no problem but I am struggling with doing the car and I'm still doing my house up. Juggling about 5 things at the same time.

Beast, If I had the time I would do your calipers no problem but I am struggling with doing the car and I'm still doing my house up. Juggling about 5 things at the same time.[/quote]

--

I know the feeling.. :bonk: If you ever get a moment let me know.. :thumb:

infrasilver, thanks for posting, nice work, by the way is the airbrush in the picture a Super 63 haven't seen one for ages?

Thinking about also going yellow 8) (When I get my Lapis Blue)

When I painted my Jag XF, I completed this on the car... I had no problems and a bit of masking is quick and easy, don't worry if you do get some overspray on the disc as it wares off...

2 coats primer, 2 coats base silver, apply stickers, 2 coats clear coat.
Each forced dried with a heat gun.
All completed in about 1 hour start to finish for four wheels.
After 12 months they still look as good.
The Jag XF doesn't come with painted calipers, so surface is much rougher...

Anybody see issues using the same process for 996?

Attachments

• 2013_10_06_121749_118.jpg
    2013_10_06_121749_118.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 11,400
  • 2013_10_06_122712_113.jpg
    2013_10_06_122712_113.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 11,400
  • 2013_10_06_125353_856.jpg
    2013_10_06_125353_856.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 11,400
  • 2013_10_06_160938_1_179.jpg
    2013_10_06_160938_1_179.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 11,400
Be careful not to get paint on your pistons.
Personally, if you want to do it that way, I'd at least remove the calliper from the hub, it's only 2 bolts and a doddle to remove (keeping the brake line connected).

OP: you did all that work yet didn't replace the seals - why?

Chris.

Matt-A said:
Thinking about also going yellow Cool (When I get my Lapis Blue)

I thought the yellow with Lapis would look good and they do.
Had a bleed nipple snap off a while ago and there are a few chips on the paint 4 years on but they still clean up really well considering it was so long ago. But I may give them a re-fresh soon whilst they'll till be easy to prep.

spyderman said:
OP: you did all that work yet didn't replace the seals - why?

They were in good condition along with the movement of all the pistons so I left them in place, I may change them next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back