Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2012 Porsche 911 Targa caught with its open top

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
A new generation of the iconic Porsche 911 is in the works, one that's bigger, roomier, more efficient and of course, more powerful than the one it replaces. We're talking about the new 2012 Porsche 911 that's set to go on sale early next year, a prototype of which has been spotted testing in Germany by our sleuth spy photographer.

This is the first time that the 2012 Porsche 911 Targa model has been spotted, revealing that for the new '991' generation of the car, the glass roof will simply slide back and remain on top of the car, acting almost like a rear spoiler. This setup should improve storage space in the car and perhaps also aerodynamics.

Other than the roof system, the new Porsche 911 Targa should essentially be the same as the 911 Carrera or 911 Carrera 4 depending on whether the customer selects the wider track version.

Another big change will be the adoption of a 'downsized' 3.4-liter flat-six engine with direct injection technology, which should output 350 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. Performance 'S' variants of the 911 should feature a 3.8-liter version of this engine, which in basic trim is expected to develop upwards of 400 horsepower and 324 pound-feet of torque.

Finally, a new seven-speed manual transmission is expected to be offered alongside the existing seven-speed PDK dual clutch unit.

Look for the debut of the regular 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera and Carrera Convertible at the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show this September, with the new 911 Targa to debut shortly after.

Attachments

• 2012_porsche_911_targa_5_202.jpg
    2012_porsche_911_targa_5_202.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 11,580
  • 2012_porsche_911_targa_4_145.jpg
    2012_porsche_911_targa_4_145.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 11,580
  • 2012_porsche_911_targa_3_695.jpg
    2012_porsche_911_targa_3_695.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11,580
  • 2012_porsche_911_targa_2_175.jpg
    2012_porsche_911_targa_2_175.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11,580
  • 2012_porsche_911_targa_1_103.jpg
    2012_porsche_911_targa_1_103.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 11,580
That's not a Targa, it's just the full-length panoramic sunroof option for the coupe.

If it was a Targa, it would be the first time the sliding roof slides OUTSIDE, thus limiting its maximum aperture.

There is no distinctive Targa kink in the rear window either:

7sp2_151.jpg

911_targa_sr1.jpg

Porsche-996_911_Targa_mp42_pic_8466.jpg

used-1997-porsche-993-targacoupe-1386-1413430-7-640.jpg

A styling cue that was initially a structural necessity, but then became a homage to the original (removable section) style Targa's rear window shape (wing cut line):

porsche_964_carrera_2_targa.jpg

Given the option of the full-length panoramic roof, I think we have seen the demise of the Targa, not totally surprising given the poor Targa sales figures for the 997.

The Targa model, at best, represented approx. 6% of 997 sales.

I like....

The new shape is already growing on me. Looks a bit more butch in these photos than any I've seen so far. Pity it has to keep growing in size, and pity that they aren't air cooled anymore, but this should be a great car. :thumbs:

Re: I like....

That open roof looks vile.

I hope it's not a targa.

I am starting to think that a targa might be the best compromise for me, as I love the lines of the coupe, and love having my roof down.

sld82 said:
The new shape is already growing on me. Looks a bit more butch in these photos than any I've seen so far. Pity it has to keep growing in size, and pity that they aren't air cooled anymore, but this should be a great car. :thumbs:

Welcome, and congratulations on your first post.

sld82 said:
Pity that they aren't air cooled anymore

Crikey, they haven't been air-cooled for over THIRTEEN years!

peters said:

I hope it's not a targa.

I am starting to think that a targa might be the best compromise for me, as I love the lines of the coupe, and love having my roof down.

sld82 said:

Welcome, and congratulations on your first post.

Thank you :) I have been a member for a while, mostly came onto the site to get latest info on the 991. Great community, this.

GT4 said:
sld82 said:
Pity that they aren't air cooled anymore

Crikey, they haven't been air-cooled for over THIRTEEN years!

Indeed, it's been years since they slotted radiators in. Personally, I think that the 993 Turbo was the pinnacle of all things 911 . A mate's dad has one and from the day I first saw those lines and heard the growl of an air-cooled flat six, I was never quite the same. I like the way 911's squat under acceleration too. Actually, I first knew I was hooked as a grade 4/ grade 5 boy (circa 1992), when I saw a 964 Cabriolet drive past our sports field. We stopped our game and scampered to the roadside to cheer the driver on. He just smiled and opened the throttle.

Sorry to ramble. The bug bit me and I needed some release :grin:

peters said:
grade 4/grade 5?

What country are you in?

I currently live in Cape Town, South Africa. I was in Zimbabwe back then.

That roof just looks weird sticking out of the top, looks like some one has left a tea tray on top, a sunroof would have more of an aperture. The combination of the wind deflector and roof doesn't leave much of a gap.
It looks like the rear hatch still opens though.

+1

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back