Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2012 Porsche 998 / 991 with a 7-speed manual gearbox?

Porsche News

2012 Porsche 911 will feature a 7-speed manual gearbox

Longer seventh gear will help improve fuel-economy and reduce engine noise on lengthy cruises

According to Car & Driver, the next-generation Porsche 911 will feature a newly developed 7-speed manual gearbox.

Sources at Porsche have confirmed the story to the U.S. auto magazine.

The new 7-speed transmission is meant to improve fuel-economy and reduce engine noise by means of a long seventh gear.

The news may take Porsche enthusiasts aback, particularly those accustomed to the 6-speed manual gearbox.

The gear ratios may have to be altered and those Porsche drivers may have to adapt to the new settings but it is likely the first six gears will still closely match the current 6-speed manual's ratios.

The next-generation Porsche 911 will debut at the Frankfurt motor show in September.

Attachments

• 7sp4_109.jpg
    7sp4_109.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 6,650
  • 7sp3_789.jpg
    7sp3_789.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 6,650
  • 7sp2_151.jpg
    7sp2_151.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6,650
  • 7sp_586.jpg
    7sp_586.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 6,650
Sorry, but from the rear end, that's plain ugly ! :nooo:

Just wait, it's going to be excellent. Don't be too quick to judge before the camo comes off. :thumb:

I hope there's still quite a bit of disguising going on there.

Looks more Aston than Porsche

I think we may be seeing the demise of the Targa, by the look of the panoramic sunroof option.

Hope you're right on the camo...... :wink:

I'm liking it so far. As well as the flared rear wheel arches, there are now flared front wheel arches too making it look more aggressive imo. I think that was last seen on the 993 series production (unless you count the 997 Gen II RS models as well). Looking forward to the next 911 :thumb:

~ Maxie

i dont want it to look too different or it'll be obvious to everyone that I've got an old one!

to get back to the original post, in this month EVO there is a picture of the gearlever where you can clearly see that there are 7 speed.

7th/long gear

...a bit like overdrive in an old MGB-GT then :lol:

Are we really buying £80k high performance/supercars for fuel economy now?

Seventh gear is the magic gear to get the 3.4 to 199 g/km CO2.

GT4 said:
Seventh gear is the magic gear to get the 3.4 to 199 g/km CO2.

That will only be if the 3.4 is fitted with the PDK option otherwise this variant will come with a standard 6-speed manual gearbox. The forthcoming 991 S models are designated with 7 speed manuals as standard.

~ Maxie

abcheetham said:
i dont want it to look too different or it'll be obvious to everyone that I've got an old one!

--

Nick and ABCheetham, you have nothing to worry about, your cars are far better looking than that thing.
:roll:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back