Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Collected my 997.1 GT3 today!

Roro

Last week my Carrera S had a flat battery. Went in to get it changed, saw this GT3, test drove it, and decided I had to have it!

Collected it this morning and have spent most of the day driving around. This car is way more entertaining than anything else I've ever owned.... But I've already managed to scrape the front splitter no less than FOUR times in 1 day.... grr

I've noticed a weird sound when lifting off the throttle, doesn't seem to make a difference what speed I'm driving or whether the engine is warm or not. It sounds a bit like when you're riding a bike downhill and stop peddling and you hear that tick-tick-tick-tick-tick sound from the chain. It's not loud, only noticeable when driving with the windows down. Anyone know what it might be?

I've read that GT3's seem to generally have rattles and strange noises and smoke, so was just wondering if this was anything to worry about or not. If it is, then will take it back to the OPC.

Otherwise though, this car is an absolute animal - the acceleration, the noise, the steering, this car is ALIVE!!! :thumbs:

Attachments

• img_0920_copy_s_192.jpg
    img_0920_copy_s_192.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 74,792
Hi, car looks awesome :thumbs: more pics please.

Rob.

Congratulations, car looks fantastic!

You'll get used to scraping the front splitter, just wait till you try a multistory car park :eek:

Can't say I've noticed a rattle like that on my car but I'll listen for it next time I got out for a spin. Great purchase, welcom to the GT club!

And more pics please

Cheers guys! Couple more pics attached.

I'm getting better with the front splitter - only scraped it TWICE today?!?

:frustrated:

As I was locking up the garage today after a drive, I suddenly heard a loud 'tumble drier' type sound coming from the car - took me a moment to realise it was the fan coming on. Then it went off after a couple of minutes, then came on again a few moments later. Is this normal?? I'm quickly learning that there is nothing 'normal' about the GT3...

Attachments

• photo_2_183.jpg
    photo_2_183.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 74,685
  • photo_857.jpg
    photo_857.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 74,685
fan is normal. the tick sound could be something stuck in the tyre?

Nice car< I have something similar :thumb:

awesome machine, hope you enjoy it.

Great car, great colour!

Welcome to the GT club.

Looks menacing in black!

~ Maxie :thumbs:

Looks terrific !!! congratulations on your purchase. :thumb:

Could the noise be your Limited Slip Diff :?:

Car looks great :thumb:

Mark

Very nice - a negative version of my white one.

The coloured wheel centres look good compared to the stock GT3 ones (did you fit those?).

+1 on the thought about the diff making the noise on run down - may be worth raising with the OPC immediately, to stop them making out it is a wear item if you leave it a few weeks/months - it will be a £1k repair I think if the plates need changing?

Thanks all! This is an awesome motor. I love the fact that I've done about 200 miles since yesterday and I've seen loads of Carrera's and Turbo's, but no GT3's!

Fan - Thanks - I never noticed the fan much on the Carrera S, this car's fan seems to have a mind of it's own!

Wheel caps - They do look cool don't they, no these were already fitted. The car has everything I would have wanted on a GT3 - SatNav, Cruise Control, Sports Seats - only thing it doesn't have that I wanted is PDC - Will be too expensive to retro fit though I reckon.

As for the LSD... Man.... That sounds serious... The handling seems fine, I would have thought a problem with the diff would be really obvious when driving the car? Still, no point taking chances, will get the OPC to have a look as soon as I can get over there.

Cheers guys for your thoughts on these daft newbie questions - you ROCK!
:thumbs:

nsm3 said:
Very nice - a negative version of my white one.

The coloured wheel centres look good compared to the stock GT3 ones (did you fit those?).

+1 on the thought about the diff making the noise on run down - may be worth raising with the OPC immediately, to stop them making out it is a wear item if you leave it a few weeks/months - it will be a £1k repair I think if the plates need changing?

I'm no expert on LSD's, but I seem to think that diffs are often more noisy if they're working than if they're not - so don't necessarily assume that because there's a noise, it's wrong.

My diff has recently been replaced and is noisier than ever. If you're going in a straight line, you shouldn't hear it though, but on lock at low speeds they will normally click quite audibly.

I can't say I've noticed the noise especially when turning. It seems to happen when I lift off the accelerator and I've noticed it mainly when driving straight along the road. I've got the car booked in first thing wednesday morning, so the mystery should hopefully be resolved soon!

Hello, just an update for anyone that's interested. I went to the OPC this morning, and went for a quick drive with the mechanic who said that the noise was normal. He also showed me around underneath the car, and pointed out lots of different sources of rattles and buzzing noises. He said it could be gearbox chatter, or even the butterfly valves in the exhaust. He said it's normal but to let them know if the noise does get any worse.

On a slightly different note, I also complained about the squeaky brakes and they agreed on the spot to fit new discs and pads (all round) for nuffink. Hats off to Hatfield. :thumbs:

Roro,

Good result with the discs and pads, I bought my 997.1 ('07) from Hatfield OPC ( fairly local) last year - couldn't make the banquet on Monday - and to date I can't say a bad word against them.
I have a four year service looming and I am toying with JZM for it although good news stories from my local OPC are good to hear.

JZM over OPC anyone?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back