Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Has anyone gone from a 911 to a Cayman

Not driven a cayman but I did have a overnight drive for the 1st time in a 2011 boxster S the other night and was amazed how fast it was and how stable it was through the corners, I was very impressed so I presume the cayman would be even better.

Cayman R is the best handling road car ever! *

The structural rigidity shames the GT3, and that is before you have fitted a cage!

*Andy Wallace (Le mans veteran and winner). See the latest issue of Evo.

997 to 987S

I had a Cayman for an extended period after selling my 997 (ended up getting an Aston instead) but I remember the experience very well indeed and was very impressed to say the least - it's great handling car.
I could drive a lot faster around a track or even 'fast' road's and enjoy it! The thing that was weird I actually liked the Non S car because of the gearing - not sure of the technical term - but you could really give it some ALL THE TIME, where as the S was as fast as my 997 and sometimes a bit scary.

I sold the Aston when I moved to Sydney a few months ago and bought a 987S - did consider the Cayman but for two reasons, 1) the thing I didn't like was the boomy sound in the cabin - it really resonates the engine sound a tad too much for my liking 2) in a place like Sydney, you can have top down driving a lot and there are some amazing roads outside of the city!

So in summary, I think you will enjoy both the Cayman and Boxster!

Cayman

I have a 993 and 996 Turbo S and always ask for a Cayman with pdk as a loan car from Porsche W London

Just so great to drive - you have to ask for a 24 loan out to really appreciate the car

Have to say I have been tempted to sell the Turbo S for one . Thats how good it is

This does nit answer your original question & I know that I should not say this on the forum but if you are thinking of a brand new Cayman then pop along to your local Lotus garage to compare it with the Evora.

Last year we were thing of a Cayman S but also took out the Evora and the handling was leagues ahead of the Cayman. Admit that it is not everyone's cup of tea but don't discount how good a car it Is.

Just saying look at all the possibilities as you may not be disappointed :wink:

Cheers
George

Ps believe it has more rigidity than the Cayman :oops:

The chap I bought my 911 off went for a Cayman, so I have asked him for you.

I have never understood why he downgraded (except he got a far newer car for the money).

He certainly wasn't happy when he saw how much more Road Fund licence her had to pay!

He says that the Cayman is a far better balanced car, and if the had made the Cayman first, they would never have made the 911!

However he did say that you need the cayman S, not the ordinary one, which isn't much more than a hairdressers car / Boxster.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Went for a Cayman S from a 997 C4S for about 8 months..got the 911 itch! Traded it for a C2S.
Cayman handles well, did not have the riding comfort of the 997..not for me.
Overall the running costs are very similiar IMHO.

I'm currently driving a Cayman S Sport and I'd say without any shadow of a doubt that it's second only to the GT2 in the cars I've owned.

Everyone talks about the balance etc but you'll never really understand until you've driven one on the limit. Having one on loan from an OPC, putting your foot down and concluding it's not as fast as a 911 and therefore not as good is missing the point entirely IMO. I say this as this is the impression and experience a lot of people I've talked to have of the Cayman.

Someone recently told me that some engineers at McLaren said that it's the best handling car you can buy for less than £100,000. I've not been lucky enough to drive every car for sale under that value but of the ones I have I'd agree.

I'm still tempted by a Spyder - would the Cayman R be appreciably better to drive? Or even a 1M :?:

There is a review in Evo magazine of the Cayman R & 1M, not read it yet so can't say what they prefer.

Cheers
George

anotherGT2 said:
Someone recently told me that some engineers at McLaren said that it's the best handling car you can buy for less than £100,000.

McLaren used the Cayman as their handling benchmark for the new MP4-12C.

High praise indeed from the engineers' engineers.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back