Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air Conditioning Problem

cayman1

:sad: I took delivery of my 06 plate Cayman last May. The air conditioning has ceased to blow cold air and makes a light whirring noise when cold is selected (this stops if the eco button is pressed, presumably turning the compressor off). I am bookein in to the Nottingham porsche Centre in May for MOT , 111 point inspection and to check out this air con problem. I was advised that the system may need a re-gass and that I should have left the climate control on at all times (something that was never mentioned when I picked the car up last may). Is it normal for the gas to have evaporated so soon ? My last car was a Hyundia coupe and was still working fine when 6 years old.

Difficult to say how long the gas lasts and can depend on how often you use it.

The recommendation is to run climate/AC at least once a month as the gas has a light oil mixed with it that circulates and protects all your seals. Top tip leave it on all the time.

Is the compressor actually engaging? Ie can you see the clutch being activated (normally accompanied by a slight drop in revs at idle)? If the system is low on gas the compressor will not run so that it is protected from trying to pump something that is not there.

What is the condensor like at the front - could a stone have got through and punctured it - quite common on 996 etc. Any greenish dye lying on the floor after a run = leak.

Quickest way is to take it along to Kwik-Fit (yes I know but its automated so they cant ***** it up) and for less than £50 they will either regas it or tell you there is a leak and not charge you.

The good news is that the condensor is cheap part and easy to swap (if indeed this has gone) - but I can guess it wont be if you ask OPC to do it.

Best of luck

Sounds like a stone, corrosion or the seals have seen away with your gas.

The recommendation is to run climate/AC at least once a month as the gas has a light oil mixed with it that circulates and protects all your seals. Top tip leave it on all the time.

--

Zingers is it my imagination or does the petrol consumption rise when I do this ie leave ac on all the time? :?:

If not then I would do as you suggest, but the car already eats petrol pumps for breakfast and I don't want to encourage this unless my gonads are frying.

Summer in France sounds like the time when I shall employ the ac in order to ensure the survival of The Beast's Beasts. :lol:

I run mine for 10-20 mins every drive to cycle the lubricant and refrigerant.

I do this while the car is running up to temp, then turn it off (unless of course I wish to cool myself beyond the ambient or wish to ventilate the the front coolant rads to keep the engine temp at a lower temp).

I neither want to sap the fuel nor power.

So it does sap the fuel? I have found that if I turn off the ac then the car temp rises.. :?:

The compressor runs off the engine, it uses power, therefore it uses more fuel or reduces the power for other stuff :whistle:

The higher coolant temp when the a/c is off because when the a/c is on the fans suck air through the coolant rads too. (the a/c and over temp rad fans are one and the same)

So if you turn the a/c and you aren't travelling fast (like city driving), you can drop the coolant temp by up to 6 degrees.

Air Con

Zingari said:
Difficult to say how long the gas lasts and can depend on how often you use it.

Is the compressor actually engaging? Ie can you see the clutch being activated (normally accompanied by a slight drop in revs at idle)? If the system is low on gas the compressor will not run so that it is protected from trying to pump something that is not there.

What is the condensor like at the front - could a stone have got through and punctured it - quite common on 996 etc. Any greenish dye lying on the floor after a run = leak.

Quickest way is to take it along to Kwik-Fit (yes I know but its automated so they cant ***** it up) and for less than £50 they will either regas it or tell you there is a leak and not charge you.

The good news is that the condensor is cheap part and easy to swap (if indeed this has gone) - but I can guess it wont be if you ask OPC to do it.

Best of luck

Air Con

Thanks for info. The compressor engages but makes a low whirring noise. Pressing the eco button gets rid of this. The car is going to the Nottingham OPC next week for MOT etc and as the air con was serviced last May, I will try to get a free repair.

Air Conditioning

:thumbs: Everything sorted. Nottingham Porsche Centre replaced a leaking condenser, re-gassed and all is well - and cool.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back