Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do headlights have to be removed to remove the front bumper?

michelin

Just in the process of this now. I only want to give the rads a quick clean etc and not really keen on remving headlights in case they dont go back in level for road use. The lights are non xenon.
Cheers guys
:thumb:

Martian said:
Yes lights have to come out, an easy job though with the supplied tool in the (small) toolkit.

Thanks for the reply.
I've managed to get one out but the other was very tight so much so that the head of the bolt has sheared off !!! :sad:
Any ideas, any help appreciated.
Cheers Martian :thumb:

Well I guess you are looking at mole grips or a reverse threaded socket (it is possible that the mounting table can be accessed via the wheel arch liner, but I am not convinced the access will be meaningful).

AFAIK, you need OPC!

By the way, which headlamp side was this (driver/passenger) and what direction were you turning the release tool/socket (CW/CCW)?

GT4 said:
Well I guess you are looking at mole grips or a reverse threaded socket (it is possible that the mounting table can be accessed via the wheel arch liner, but I am not convinced the access will be meaningful).

AFAIK, you need OPC!

By the way, which headlamp side was this (driver/passenger) and what direction were you turning the release tool/socket (CW/CCW)?

It was passenger side and I turned it the opposite direction to the drivers side one. That came out fine.
I'm think of using a 3 or 4mm nut and screwing it onto the thread with hope it will at least release the lamp. Then all I need to do is order a new locking bar.
Hmmmm not happy

RHD vehicle:

pax side to remove = anti CW, 180deg
pax side to replace = retaining bar relaxed (pointing down) quarter deg. CW

Drivers side to remove = CW 180deg.
Drivers side to replace = retaining bar relaxed, quarter turn anti CW.

bobsan said:
RHD vehicle:

pax side to remove = anti CW, 180deg
pax side to replace = retaining bar relaxed (pointing down) quarter deg. CW

Drivers side to remove = CW 180deg.
Drivers side to replace = retaining bar relaxed, quarter turn anti CW.
Thanks for the info guys. Having trouble getting a grip on the thread to turn it seeing as head is no longer there :?:

No the headlamps do not have to come off to remove the front bumper, I did a Gen 2 front and rear conversion to mine not long ago, and the headlamps stayed firmly in place!

Attachments

• photo_1_6_148.jpg
    photo_1_6_148.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 18,661
  • photo_4_5_490.jpg
    photo_4_5_490.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 18,661
monster said:
No the headlamps do not have to come off to remove the front bumper, I did a Gen 2 front and rear conversion to mine not long ago, and the headlamps stayed firmly in place!
Ah right thanks. I've removed all necessary bolts and the two black slide clips near the headlamps. Tried getting it off before and no luck, dont want to snap anything, again !!
Is it only held in by the clips near to the headlamps ?
Cheers
p.s. still have the problem with the sheared bolt. God knows what I will do if one of the lamps fail ??? :dont know:
:thumb: :thumb:

Hope this helps. Once you removed all these the bumper should pull off.

Jon.

Attachments

• 100_1815_copy_708.jpg
    100_1815_copy_708.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 18,584
  • 100_1811_copy_265.jpg
    100_1811_copy_265.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 18,584
  • 100_1806_copy_118.jpg
    100_1806_copy_118.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 18,584
  • 100_1796_copy_142.jpg
    100_1796_copy_142.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 18,584
  • 100_1801copy_112.jpg
    100_1801copy_112.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 18,584
  • 100_1795_copy_115.jpg
    100_1795_copy_115.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 18,584
Hi Michelin, Cunno's reply is an excellent one, he has shown clearly all the different fixing areas, well done that man!! We didnt bother removing the wheels on mine, but that would make the job easier if its your first time!

The sliding clip in his second pic is the one that you would struggle to work out if you were approaching this job without prior knowledge!

Its sounds a lot of trouble to go to in order to clean your rads!, can't you just reach in with your hands and remove any debris!

yes the sheared bolt is probably worth forgetting about until such time as when you actually do need to remove the lamp, chances are you never will!

Good luck!

Where are the last two bolts (shown in the last picture) situated?

Sorry new to Porsche so just constantly browsing for tip top tips.

Pip

Pip1968 said:
Where are the last two bolts (shown in the last picture) situated?

Sorry new to Porsche so just constantly browsing for tip top tips.

Pip

Just infront of the front wheels, at the bottom of the bumper.

Attachments

• john_s_997_gt3__copy2_507.jpg
    john_s_997_gt3__copy2_507.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 17,858

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back