Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Power Steering Pipe hose corrosion ; clamp work around?

996_momo

Power steering hose corrosion

Quoted 750 quid to fix the power steering cables in a recent major service. I'm assuming this includes labour. That sound right?
6 yr old car , 35k miles. Its not an emergency and wont split anytime soon im told but OPC made it sound like it wouldnt last 6 months.
Should i get indie to check? Do OPCs rely on lazy types like myself to just accept what they say for easy £ ? (that should be a rhetorical question i sound a numpty reading it back)

Hi,

Depends on which hose needs to be replaced, try to find out more info.

I replaced the pressure return hose on my car a few months back (from bottom of the column, through rack, over tank etc). All in all quite a big job - price wise if it's for a rack connected pipe then seems very reasonable for the time / work involved. dropping covers, front sub frame etc

It can be a tricky job replacing the pipes, no special tools required normally, a ramp makes it alot easier - I did it without a ramp with a friend mainly to see if I could rather than the cost, I was quoted about £1k to replace and also an aircon hose so sounds similar to yours when split it down, I would never do it again though, a right pain

Probaby 150-200 cheaper through an indie

brumbrum

thx brumbrum. i'll ask the particulars again in the morning - i draw a line at changing a wheel , so ramps and pipes and whatnot is so far over my head i cant even hear the whooosh.

I see that you live in your car, where does your car live? We might know a good Indie in your area................

A common 996 / 986 fault in my experience
there 2' ferrules' that corrode

and about £750 to cure
the first one corrodes then the second

mark pearce said:
A common 996 / 986 fault in my experience
there 2' ferrules' that corrode

and about £750 to cure
the first one corrodes then the second

+1

Now, me being a scrooge I always find alternatives... the ends can be removed and better ones fitted, do a Google search on Hydraulic hose repair (local to you) and people like these will come up -
http://www.tidyco.co.uk/siteservices/hose_doctor/default.asp
I had one done on my Honda S2000 for £22 inc vat !!!

The clamp on the power steering hose is splitting (common problem?) and was wondering if there is a work around for solving this?

TIA.

Power Steering Hose clamp ...

Hi baptistsan,

I have the same issue at the moment - the hose itself is fine but the thin metal (alu?) "clamp" is starting to prize-apart.

I got my local OPC to use a couple of "Hard-pulled", small, tie-wraps around it for the time being. Looking to get this fixed in the next 3-6K miles.

They said the job is a pig for time and hence a £1k bill.

Everything seems to be fine about 2K miles after the tie-wraps have been applied.

So....I'm also interested to see what the rest of the group comes back with here - ideas anyone? ;)

- BTW, my car's a 2003 C2 Manual with about 70K miles.

Cheers, Si.

My carrera had the same problem and I opened up a jubilee clip and fastened it round the split bit. 3 years after I did it the repair still looked sound with no evidence of the pipe moving. The Indy that looks after my car said it looked secure enough.

Based on that I'm thinking I will check it again in 1-2 months and if fine 'probably leave it ;)

Cheers and Happy New Year to all on here :)

Hi guys.

Thanks for the suggestions. Had thought of both methods, but was curious as to whether they would hold up to the pressure that the pas is operating at.

In fact, anyone know what sort of pressure the pas is operating under?

May well give the jubilee clip a go.

Very common problem. The aluminium sleeve crimps the rubber pipe over a taperd end on the pipe. The crimp corrodes with salt contamination and the rubber expands at the weakest point.

I used the widest Stainless jubilee clip I could find 1/2" , did it up very tight with a socket and painted the whole joint with waxoyl.

2 years later - no further deteriation.

I have never heard of one of these pipe joints letting go and other manufactures often use jubilee clips as a primary fixing on pressurised power steering pipes.

This forum would be an ideal place for anyone who has had a joint actually burst to make it "public" so that better precautions could be taken?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back