Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

cayenne s should i ??

b4dbmw

hi im mark and new to the forum
i currently have an x5 but was thinking of swapping it for a 53 reg porshe cayenne s 4.5, i cant realy find much info on them and was wanting as much as pos first. i learnt of common problems etc the expensive way with the x5 but its sorted now.

however i couldnt believe how cheap the parts are compared to the x5 with the porsche sharing the toureg parts.

as much info as possible please??

thanks in advance

Between a 53 reg Cayenne and a Touareg, I'd go for the Touareg tbh. Much better looking car and easier re-saleability too.

Imo of course.

~ Maxie :thumb:

Maxie said:
Between a 53 reg Cayenne and a Touareg, I'd go for the Touareg tbh. Much better looking car and easier re-saleability too.

Imo of course.

~ Maxie :thumb:

:wack:

lol!! have to say - I agree with Maxie on this one. I think the designers at Porschey must have had a day off when the Cayenne was born!!

It's uglier than I care to mention and just simply should not be carrying a porsche badge!!

:judge:

spectraluk said:
lol!! have to say - I agree with Maxie on this one. I think the designers at Porschey must have had a day off when the Cayenne was born!!

It's uglier than I care to mention and just simply should not be carrying a porsche badge!!

:judge:

:hand: :lock: :banned:

Got rid of mine.......the pistons can start eating the bores at 45k miles. £13k for a new engine(supplied + fitted) from OPC

It's called the "death click" on the 4.5s. I have seen a few 4.5's advertised with "noisy top end" It's not/rarely the top-end it's the piston eating away at the bore. They also use 1ltre of oil every 500 miles when bore wear starts but they can run for another 10k miles(or less) before the engine lets go.

Also, greedy on fuel ...12mpg if you open the taps but 20mpg if you drive it like a realy softy(but whats the point).

Great handling/well built 4x4 but the potential engine bill would put me off buying another.

So make sure no death click before you buy.

We considered a Cayenne to tow the newly-upgraded caravan :oops:

Agreed on the dodgy appearence, but let's face it: it's an SUV and most of them are aesthetically challenged anyway :photoshot:

Having looked around the forums, it seems they're also prone to blowing cooling pipes. Fuel consumption is discouraging, particularly (as wizard993 says) on the 4.5. It'll be interesting to see how the diesel Cayenne fares, but it will be a year or two before our budget will stretch to one.

An LPG converted Cayenne seemed a possibility, but we decided against buying a car requiring 2 services every year!

We also thought about a Touareg, but it seems they have frequent front tracking issues, and eat tyres.

Another one to consider is the Lexus Rx. There seemed fewer issues about reliability, but maybe that's because there are fewer around and again it's either a thirsty petrol or the hybrid engine.

Nothing's ever easy, is it? :dont know:

Cheers,
Roy

Agreed with Royd999's comments about SUVs appearing aesthetically challenged. However some (perhaps very few?) are less so than others. If you're looking for one within a budget, then the Range Rover Sport might fit the bill. Not so bad to look at with the earliest ones now dipping under the £20k barrier. It's my pick of the SUVs for that kind of money.

~ Maxie

Slighty unbalanced views on here so far, and a little late to the party, but I have an 04 Cayenne S (coincidentally in for a service now...!) and love it.

Did not let me down through all the snow and drives very well given its size. Yes, the looks are challenging, but I happen to like them (someone must do).

And fuel? It is no worse than any other 4+L V8.... And on a par with the 3.2V6 on a run given the higher revs of that engine. LT average of 16.8 according to the computer, and 24-26 on a long run - South of France (again, according to computer)

Touaregs can eat tyres, the tracking has a habit of going out so it is worth having it checked periodically. In the last 10k miles since I put new tyres on mine there has been hardly any wear at all, but then I had my tracking done which was out in every way possible!
It's a fantastic car to drive, I have the V10 diesel with an e-maps tune so it's around 380hp and more torque than you can shake a stick at. 0-60 in just under 6 seconds and about 25mpg on long journeys.
Mine is on a 53 plate, very similar to the later ones but I did upgrade to the later touchscreen sat nav and will be putting the heated steering wheel and paddle shift on later this year. Full aftermarket warranty is around 800 a year. I've had mine about 16 months and other than one service I haven't had any unscheduled costs. Keyless entry and start, auto wipers, auto lights, front and rear parking sensors, decent six speed auto box.

Had my KN turbo for 2 years now;
I drive 25K ish per year in it - mostly motorways
I get 20 mpg on runs ave
OBC says 19.5mpg over 40K miles
Mines in for a service, and as a precaution I got the OPC to replace the cooling pipes; they will almost certainly go at some stage !
Had a new KN diesel on loan for a few days too.
nice motor - has moved the game on quite a bit...but... I actually prefer the looks of the original !
Admittedly,the interior on the gen 2 is far better, being like the panamera
The new one, especially in black, looks too much like a Nissan to me;

I also have a second set of wheels (18" ) with snow and Ice tyres on for winter use
absolutely unstoppable - sooo much fun to drive in snow !
Be quite glad to get mine back tomorrow
David

Dare I say it but I had a 2005 V8 Range Rover before 996 and loved it. Real sense of occasion. Unstoppable in the snow/mud/crap too. Juicy of course but I never had any real issues with it.

If I was in the market for another 4x4 there's only one make I'd be looking at.

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back