Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Did some technical maintenance today! Very chuffed

Chris W

Various lights came on the dash on my home from Hatfield on Friday night. Had to pick up the Mrs from Gatwick on Sunday but 15 minutes down after filling up it wouldnt start. AA jumped me and I limped back home to change vehicles.

Anyways, it was the alternator that packed up. So a quick post on Boxa.net and a friendly (but complete stranger) member responded, offered to come over today and show me how to change the alternator. I thought I was in for a £600 wallet emptying but instead it cost me £111.60 :thumbs:

Now, I'm technically minded but not experienced and not a fan of trying to fix things I know nothing about. It was really satisfying!

We removed all the covers and got access to the engine, very different on a mid engined Boxster to the 911! What a complete b@##h to get to, an even harder to remove and refit.

We had the alternator (a spare one this new friend brought) reconditioned by a local guy in just under 2 hours.

Start to finish 4.5 hours, including 2 hours driving back and forth to the reconditioning guy, and some compulsory 911uk style OCD in the engine compartment. I also de-snorkeled the engine which is sort of like the equivalent of drilling the airbox on a 964/993 to allow it to breathe easier. Had my codes read, all clear, and the throttle reset. Sounds and drives even better.

Having had lots on in the last few weeks,a nd having spent a fair bit on this car, it was a superb experience. I'm still actually not sure if it was a visit from above. But such is the spririt of forums and Porsche enthusiasts I just wanted to share the good vibes.

Here are some pics. Just look at that access to the engine!

136.jpg

144.jpg

140.jpg

147.jpg

Good one Chris. Very satisfying when you can do those jobs yourself :)

Nice job, now can you come around to mine and show me how to get my engine that clean 8)

TB

Good work Chris. Lucky for you that Boxa.net have like-minded enthusiasts too. That engine looks spanking now!

Can't remember if you put any pics up of your car but is it a facelift 986 or a pre-facelift model? If it's a pre-facelift, I'd advise you to get hold of that conditioner that cleans the rear plastic window and preserves it from milking up. I saw some before & after pics in one of the current Porsche rags and it looks to make quite a difference. Can't remember what it's called but will find out if you have the plastics type window.

~ Maxie :thumb:

Thanks Maxie, I'll have a look out. Currently I use 303 Protectant which works well to stop UV and seems to feed the plastic. Yes its pre-facelift.

Engine only needs a wipe over as its not really expose dto road muck being mid-engined and buried under covers! I juts wiped and sprayed with Auto Glym Vinyl & Rubber.

tbrown said:
Nice job, now can you come around to mine and show me how to get my engine that clean 8)

TB

You surprise me TB. I'd have bet a few quid that you'd have painted yours black by now.
:grin:

Thats in there tight !

well done Chris :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back