Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The big issue for me, how big?

berni29

Paul Ricard
Hi There

I love the 997's but drive a 993 primarily bacause it is smaller than the 997. I also appreciate it's other qualities over a 997 of course :)

Will the new 911 be smaller than the outgoing model?

I hope so or else I will probably never own one.

Berni

berni29 said:
Will the new 911 be smaller than the outgoing model?

I for one am not betting on it. The 911 has been getting bigger and bigger (middle aged spread?)

Saw this recently, check it out....

Hi

That is cool. I would like to see the same thing but front or rear view.

Berni

Doubt very much the next 911 will be smaller than the 997. Any number of Google searches points a car that looks the same length if not slightly longer than the current incarnation. I can see the wheelbase lengthening if not on the next version but the one after that, to accomodate rear passengers more comfortably. After all it will have so much equipment to carry (much of it required by law) such as air bags (maybe for those rear seat passengers too) and a bonnet design that must pop up and outwards in the event of a pedestrian collision not to mention pumps for the air con, motors to power the electric everything these days, growing wheel sizes (I'm guessing a 20" wheel version will be an option in the future) and tyre sizes (325mm across the rear maybe?). The last RS versions of the 997 saw a wider front track (as well as the wider rear track).

~ Maxie

Hi Maxie

That all makes sense sadly, apart from the higher bonnet bit. 911's can get away with this because the engine is in the back, so nothing hard under the front. An alternative is the pyrotechnic bonnet lifters/hinges like the new Nissan GTR has. Part of the reason it costs 11k to fix if you have a minor front end bump.

All the best

Berni

Doesn't this rather depend on what else they put into the Porsche line up? There are rumours of a new 928 type car using Panamera bits, plus a smaller 2 seat mid engine roadster, so any future 911 doesn't have to try and be all things to all men anymore.

Berni,
If they made the new generation 911 smaller, or brought it back to 993 size, well would that not be a Cayman? :?:

The 993 and Cayman are physically similar:
Length Width W/base Weight
993 4245mm 1735mm 2272mm 1445Kg

Cayman 4341 1801 2415 1300Kg

You really have to ask who has got it wrong and what is wrong?

I'm having a shot in an Cayman S on Friday so that will be fun.
:wink:

Regards driving something smaller I know what you mean having driven a Gen 2 911

Hi

Yes, good point. If it was not for the extra two seats you would be completely right! The 993 is a heavy car for sure. The dimensions are great though.

I have driven a new Boxster and a Gen 1 911 and they are both great cars. I cannot help but like the 997's.

For me the rear seats are a massive selling point. Not that I use them that often, but when you need them there is no way out. They increase the practicality of the car considerably. I used to put both my in laws in the back of my 964 when I had it. My daughters pretty much refuse the back of the 993 though. We will see about that one. They have not been desperate enough yet.

Berni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back