Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Panamera - Perhaps Porsche lead the way -Again??

pirellipete

well, I'm working over here in the Good Ole U S of A, and getting to watch some American TV,

Interestingly, there are many car adverts, by lots of manufacturers here, showcasing THEIR 4 door Coupe's,

And it has to be said, that a lot of them have rear ends not at all dissimilar to the Panamera,

So, despite the comments made about it, perhaps Porsche, once again, led the way in design concept, and now the rest of the industry is catching up

:?: :?:

An interesting thought.

A lot of people seem to have written the car off as some sort of monstrosity - trying to fit a genuine 4 door coope into a 911's clothes.

Maybe we should all reserve judgement.

Goose said:
An interesting thought.

A lot of people seem to have written the car off as some sort of monstrosity - trying to fit a genuine 4 door coope into a 911's clothes.

A fair point. However, it's quite rare for a car that was maligned for its looks on release to find redemption at a later date lookswise, regardless of how commercially successful it turns out to be. I don't think the Panamera is a bad looking car per se. If it was made by any number of other manufacturers it wouldn't have got the stock it has got. I just don't think it's as good looking as it should have been. It could have been made to look more beautiful. I'm convinced of that. And with a Porsche badge on the front, there is an extra expectation in the motoring world that the car that wears it demonstrates real design flair, exhibits a special compelling beauty rather than committee generated corporate packaged ID.

FYOG

40 Years of Glory said:
Goose said:
An interesting thought.

A fair point. However, it's quite rare for a car that was maligned for its looks on release to find redemption at a later date lookswise, regardless of how commercially successful it turns out to be. I don't think the Panamera is a bad looking car per se. If it was made by any number of other manufacturers it wouldn't have got the stock it has got. I just don't think it's as good looking as it should have been. It could have been made to look more beautiful. I'm convinced of that. And with a Porsche badge on the front, there is an extra expectation in the motoring world that the car that wears it demonstrates real design flair, exhibits a special compelling beauty rather than committee generated corporate packaged ID.

FYOG

:yeah:

yeah, but, no, but, hmmmmmmmm

Fair comments, All,

But I'm old enough to remember the slagging off that Ford Got when they first launched the Jelly Mould Sierra,

And that became a, dare I say, ground breaking design icon of its day,

Time will tell,

To me, the Panamera looks much better in the flesh than any of the pictures I've seen of it, and it would be a serious contender for me if I was in that market, the only competition being the Jag XR-F, or XF-R, whatever, you know the one I mean !!!

But I'm old enough to remember the slagging off that Ford Got when they first launched the Jelly Mould Sierra,

And that became a, dare I say, ground breaking design icon of its day,

I thought the Sierra was ugly then and I I think it's even uglier now. Are there any still left out there???

But I am curious to hear of any cars that were considered ugly at launch that somehow came to be considered beautiful later. I can't think of one. TR7's, the Jag the Saint drive whatever it was called, the last model BMW 7 series, Ford Scorpio, Maserati Biturbo, the early Cayennes, the list of unredeemable uglies goes on..

FYOG

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back