Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen II 997 4S with PDK - what a revelation

Bieldside

Nurburgring
Dropped my 996 Turbo S off at Porsche West London and was given the keys to a 4S Gen II with the PDK option. Not auto I thought as I drove off , give me manual any day . But ...... what a great drive , with sport and sport plus buttons to release the noise and power.

Whew - will be sad to hand it back and take off in the Turbo S manual!

Now I am surprised at the above statement given that most of the Turbo drivers on here state their cars are something special.

Bieldside - can you please give us some more detail why you'll be sad when you have to give the 4S back in exchange for not just a Turbo but a Turbo S!

Cheers!

~ Maxie :)

Ahh very interesting, I have pretty much decided on the C4S when i upgrade, purely on a looks basis though.

Can you give me more insight into the PDK and how it was to use?

Thanks

Gen 11

Good question - I never thought that an auto could be such an exhilarating experience

Could be that I don't drive the Turbo S hard enough but with sport plus button on the 997 car flew . It held the 3rd gear all the way up to 90mph and then changed up - made me smile . Mind you as the gears went up the petrol level went down

It could be old age too in that driving around London is so much easier in an auto but then a Porsche is not designed for traffic driving , so I was up in Cambridge yesterday and the car performed as it should . Focused , fast etc

My lesson is to drive the Turbo S harder - or but the new 997 Turbo S with the PDK option! Or maybe not , way too much money

Re the question on the PDK - I never thought that I would enjoy an auto car . But this was really really great .

I never used the manual over-ride, just let the car do its own thing . Easy around town but much quicker in moving up and down the gears than I could ever be. Accelerate and it kicked down and off you went . The sport and sport plus buttons refocused the car and tweaked the suspension at the same time - and off you went but at a faster rate as the gears were held lower and longer

You can tell I enjoyed the experience!

You need to test drive it but not up and down a straight road at 50 mph. You would not be impressed.

I definitely am going to test drive one now, just need to work out who has access to better roads, Porsche West London or Porsche East London.

I've owned a PDK C4S for 14 months now and I think it's pretty well made a manual 911 redundant IMHO. Others may well have a different opinion but for me it's perfect. I would say that sport chrono is a MUST for these cars though as they can feel a bit flabby in "normal" mode.

In sport, they are pretty well perfect and in sport plus, pretty well bonkers. Can't imagine what the Turbo must be like let alone the Turbo S. I know I want one, though :)

Gen II

Yup , the sport plus button did it for me!!

What about Porsche Guildford - much better optons re roads. But if you test drive the auto PDK version you have to have time to feel the difference . Up and down the M4 to Heathrow from Chiswick is a complete waste of time

Good luck and have fun - I sure did

Yes , Turbo S with PDK - 530 bhp , holy .....,

hmmm....couldn't disagree more about PDK. I had a Boxster S PDK for a day and it was horrible. The sport + button was ridiculous, made the throttle response so sensitive it was impossible to drive smoothly. It also put the car into PASM sport setting which is just terrible for most uk roads I travel on.

Then there's the PDK buttons, it's a good job you can't over rev it as it's stupidly easy to push it the wrong way. Enough has been written about those anyway.

Then there's the way it selects gears as you get to junctions, there really is no consistency to what it decides to do on approach. If you thionk you are going to stop and thena gap appears and you go for it it was usually caught out and made strange mess of things trying to hunt the right ratio.

If you want an auto buy PDK and leave in auto mode,as a substitute for a gear lever & a clutch it's never going to have that same level f control or feel for me.

Gen II

Well I had a Boxster S PDK at Silverstone track and thought no way but I was told to use the buttons to go up and down

With the 997 PDK I just left it in auto mode and drove it - having driven for a week in and around London + up and down to Cambridge I was really impressed

But thankfully not everyone thinks the same , buys the same etc

My only comment is that having thought . oh no not an auto Porsche as a loan car , I was stunned by how great it was . The sport chrono left me wanting to drive to Scotland and back!!

Yes it's obviously about personal preference in the end.

On the subject of PASM: You do not HAVE to have the supsension settings on firm with Sport or Sport+ selected. You can simply deselect the supension setting with the button and use the sport engine settings with the regular suspsension setting. Works for me in the 997 and I'm assuming it's the same in the Boxter.

When I passed over the car to Porsche West London on Saturday had a chat with one of the car engineers/technicians ( mechanic!)

He was explaining how the PDK box adjusted itself to your driving style over time - so if you are an aggressive driver it will adopt that style of gear change . You all probably know that but I didn't

Too clever for me . Back in the Turbo S and my trusty 9934S . Both manual but realised that I need to drive the Turbo S harder having felt the way the auto box treated the engine!!

PDK alternative down shifting

Hi, I'm new to the Forum and Porsche ownership - took delivery of a 997 Gen II with PDK about 2 weeks ago. I've been reading with interest the thread here about the PDK experiences you've had, as I'm trying to find someone who's been similarly advised by their dealer about down shifting using the throttle - it's amazing. A stab on the throttle when in auto and it'll down shift one, two or more gears dependent on the ferocity of your right foot. Has anyone here tried or been told about this as I'd like to know if it's part of the transmission design or a quirk and will it harm the gearbox?

I asked about PDK at the Driving Experience Centre on Saturday. Gordon actually mentioned this method of down-shifting, which I'd never heard of before. So, yes, its part of the design.

Terminator, PDKs etc/autos and the like give more protection against idiocy and abuse than a traditional manual; they're really idiot-proof. If PDK responds to your inputs in a particular way, it's designed to do so.

Go enjoy! :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back