Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Crosswind stability?

cdmci

Trainee
Just getting to know my C2S after weeks of snow enforced garage storage. I noticed that at motorway speeds there appeared to be a significant sensitivity to (admittedly strong) crosswinds. The car was lightly loaded - just the driver, half tank of fuel with normal tyre pressures. My question is - is this normal?

Can't say I've noticed this but not sure I've driven in very windy conditions............stability has always been great - had mine up to 175mph in Germany in the summer and felt very solid and stable.

I get stability issues too with crosswinds. There is a particular section of the M3 coming into London just past the M25 junction, near Chertsey. The wind kicks up quite a bit and usually I'm stretching the legs on the 911. Because I do that route often I've experimented with windows open and windows closed and it does make a fair difference...

:thumb:

Needless to say I had the windows firmly closed but I have to say that considering the car still has 100mph or so to go before it tops out I was somewhat surprised.

Is there any chance that the spoiler may not have deployed as planned? Does it make that much difference at those speeds? As you know it is hard to see in the rear view when driving.

What you might be feeling is the '911 light front end' mixed with crosswind. Mine is very stable at +140 speeds (Euro roads) but like all cars will experience crosswind behaviour given enough force. If anything you'd want the spoiler down to minimise cross wind. The spoiler will increase rear end downforce but not the light front end which may be what you're actually feeling. Try adjusting tyre pressures which have been found to be a common cause. Do a search on here and you'll find loads of info on the subject...

I did a search under tyre pressures and there is a good deal of stuff available - although I have to say there appeared to be no definitive consensus. I was interested in one comment that said that the quoted tyre pressures in the manual were for 20C ambient. I haven't found anything to this effect in the manual so far but it did raise an interesting question - especially relevant in the 'cold snap'

Using the Ideal Gas Law pressures of 40psi rear and 34 psi front at 20C should be reduced to 37psi rear and 32psi front at 0C. Therefore if you (we) are inflating to 40/34 in your garage then both will be significanlty over pressure when they reach operating temperature.

Any comments or is this theory overiden by practical considerations?

You could have a look around under the car, to check the spoilers (on the suspension and in front of the tyres) and the undertray to make sure they are intact.

Can't say I have ever noticed any such issue....will pay attention next time and let you know if it is worse than any regular car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back