Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

White smoke

thoob

Silverstone
On collection of my gen 2 997 I had been pre-warned from the opc that if the car was left for some length of time that it's possible to get some white smoke/fumes from the exhaust.

This has never happed until today, I parked the car on quite a steep east(high)/west(low) incline, hang on is it nearside (low)/ offside (high) anyway.... the car was left for about 15 mins and when I started the car plumes of thick white smoke came out of what looked like the nearside exhaust, this was not just a little this was thick clouds which only went away with some 300yds of driving.

Should I be worried? It seems to make sense that with the car being on such an angle that oil would have found its way into the left bank which burned up on starting the car and maybe the only thing learned is to try to park on the flat however could this cause damage further down the line?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers

I havent heard of this before and it's not happeend to me on my 997 yet, but it doesn't get left for period of more than a week and is a Gen 1.

If you're worried, might be worth a call to and/or a trip to the OPC to put your mind at rest.

Never happened on my Gen1 and I was never told to expect it either.

Was the car new or used when you bought it?

Jamie said:
Never happened on my Gen1 and I was never told to expect it either.

Was the car new or used when you bought it?

Same here. Seems odd for a new car. :dont know:

I'm thinking if the car was used, maybe they had noticed it happening and therefore telling you its normal :?: Surely if it was such a standard trait that an OPC warns you about it on a new car, we would have heard that from someone else?

oh dear, wish I had't posted now...

The cars new it had 12 miles on when I drove out of the OPC

Oh well, I'll ask for clarity on what they told me on collection and let you know.

Maybe a spirited drive will sort things :frustrated:

Thanks though

It will probably be fine. But wait until you have a few more miles on it before you start getting all spirited. :)

Well to put you at rest - mine does it, infact all apart from those above do it occasionally :?
Its a FAQ on forums both in 997 and 996, I think that all the flat 6 do it...

It the oil laying on the bore as they explained.. does it for about 10 seconds and then clears... mostly does it when you have an audience :D

garyw

I assume you mean blue smoke? Blue (oil) smoke is a flat six thing. Are the .2's dry sumped? or sort of dry sumped? Anyway, turn the engine off and the oil has to run somewhere, in a conventional upright engine it runs down to the sump, in a flat six it can get in the bores pretty easily, hence the burn off when you start.

I would have thought white smoke was water not oil burning off. It might be condensation and probably worth checking the coolant level and all levels whilst you're there just to satisfy your mind.

White Smoke

I had this problem with my old 996 .... as previously commented "always when you least want it to happen " !!!

I took it to OPC and they put it down to oil being burned off but couldn't replicate the problem !!

Strangely, some would say spookily, it more often than not happened on a thursday .... must have been my driving pattern !!

No other problems as a result of it :)

It's a Porsche thing! Along with the windscreen that squeaks, the knocking noise somewhere from the back , the sagging boot pocket and fluff in the a/c ....... Oh! And don't forget the engine that goes bang after less than 20,000 miles :grin:

garyw said:
Well to put you at rest - mine does it, infact all apart from those above do it occasionally :?
Its a FAQ on forums both in 997 and 996, I think that all the flat 6 do it...

It the oil laying on the bore as they explained.. does it for about 10 seconds and then clears... mostly does it when you have an audience :D

garyw

Thanks for that :thumb:

I emailed the OPC who returned with a call 7 mins later, how about that for a service, very impressed :worship: they said that its most likley to be condensation like MC suggested and to just keep an eye out in future.

"always when you least want it to happen " !!!
too true loads of people around outside the office, I think the comments were "bet you still had the GTR now!"

"it's a Porsche thing! Along with the windscreen that squeaks, the knocking noise somewhere from the back , the sagging boot pocket and fluff in the a/c ....... Oh! And don't forget the engine that goes bang after less than 20,000 miles"
:grin: :grin: hope not!

Thank you :worship:

I think I can help with this.

Let me explain.

The NEW 997 Gen 2 use Direct Injection.

What does this mean?

Well apart from good power and low emissions when new, there is a gotcha.

Why should you bother listening to me?

Well, I have owned an RS4 4.2 FSI. ALL RS4's suffer from this from time to time. You can read about the carbon build up and 'smoke' on www.rs246.com

With ALL direct Injection engines NO fuel passes the valves and due to the gas recirculation from the crankcase OIL vapour enters the inlet manifold. This is the reason for the smoke. Additionally overtime the valves will coke up.

Audi tried to slow this down by having swirl pots or catch can, but enough oil vapour enters the manifold to cause the smoke.

Read about coke here http://www.mrctuning.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155&catid=41&Itemid=18

Also there was a thread on PH about this.

To reduce the carbon, it is worth changing oil regularly, I did this every 5k miles on my RS4 from new.

HTH

Interesting, thank you.

Apart from changing oil frequently are there any other preventative measures?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back