Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo prices - how negotiable at OPC?

mm450exc

Trainee
Looking to get a 997 Turbo @ OPC. I read on this forum a while ago that dealers have a 20% markup - 10% is their profit and 10% is for negotiation. Is this realistic? I saw a '07 997 Turbo today with 10k miles on it for 73k which is already a somewhat good price I think. How much can you really get off the sticker price?

Mmm, that does seem like a keen price, esp form an OPC, assuming it;s got a good spec and in a desirable colour :? ......

So not too sure how much negotiation there will be, no experience in delaing with them used TBH.

uuf361 said:
Pete Hadfield said:
Was in Porsche Chester yesterday and saw a slate grey 05/08 Turbo with 8100 miles for 77k

http://80.244.187.195/ApprovedStockIframe.asp?opc=29

:thumbs:

Wow, that's cheap too Pete......perhaps they starting to come down in price :sad:

Scottie my friend, your not going to make a profit on your turbo like you did on the Aston :hand:

Nice to see the C2S prices holding up well though :wink:

I did buy mine Oct 08 which was the hell month for car prices last year :puh:

don't know where you got the 20% mark-up from... Obviously not from someone who has any knowledge of the motor trade though :hand:

Sure it wasn't one of the PH keyboard warriors? :grin:

In any case, I strongly suspect you've shot yourself in the foot from a negotiation POV by saying you think it's a fair price on a public forum :wink:

If you really think it is a fair price, why not pay that (or very close to it) rather than pi55 the dealer off by making a derisory offer? Maybe negotiate a two-year extended warranty or something and some nice extras - rather than insult them by expecting 10% off (I would laugh if you asked me to knock £7,500 off the asking price... just before I walked off to talk to some sensible customers!) :wack:

Hi mm450exc

Welcome to the forum. Offer them 10% off and see what they say mate. I wouldn't think they would take it as an insult. I know many customers who have got bigger discounts than 10% off their purchase.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

:thumb:

although....... if I had 997 Turbo money to spend and a dealer walks away because he is expecting the customer to pay full price and nothing else, then it would be me who would be walking away laughing to the next dealer who would happily do a deal :cigar:

If they haven't had the car long then the discount will likely be a percentage of the profit they have in it. They will know how it is priced against other cars in the network, if it is already keenly priced then you are not likely to get much movement. I can't see you getting anywhere near 10% though.

Hi, and welcome to 911uk.
You don't till you try. Go have a look at the car, test drive it and give lot of buying signals "this feels like the car for me - if I brought it when could I collect it" ect..

Then (if you do want to buy it) when the salesman asks you if you want to buy it... "yes, depending on price I would like too"

You then have the sales guy where you want him, telling his boss you want the car.. And subject to price will buy it.

OPC dealers will be trying to get there stock down by year end.

Go for it I say.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Dan

Elite Detailing said:
Hi mm450exc

Welcome to the forum. Offer them 10% off and see what they say mate. I wouldn't think they would take it as an insult. I know many customers who have got bigger discounts than 10% off their purchase.Good luck and welcome to the forum.

:thumb:

Absolutely correct.

I'm going to have a little rant here, as I have many, many years experience at this end of the car market and it really gets my goat that certain people expect to get massive discounts off of car dealers, yet complain that they rip you off with their prices and perceived 'profit margin'.

I'm sorry, but this expectation of a 10-20% discount is EXACTLY the reason many dealers have been forced to advertise stupid prices in the first place. This enables them to give you your huge discount and end up at the price the car should have been in the first place. So then you complain that they were trying to rip you off with their original offer.

How the hell can any dealer win in this scenario? :dont know:

However, there are good guys in this business that charge sensible prices to start with, don't give silly discounts and make just enough profit to have a good living, but stay around to look after you if you need them.
Chances are, if you think the car is competitively priced to start with, this dealer falls into this category?

Try getting a 10% discount off someone like Mark Pierce at Stirlings for example... You won't, but you probably won't find a better car for a lower price either. Or, if you do, I bet you won't get the back-up and support afterwards.

Just remember, if a dealer has a 20% margin in a £75,000 car, he must have bought it for £60,000... If it was advertised for £60,000 privately, would you buy it? Or would you think "that's too cheap - there must be something wrong with it..." :?:

Pork Sword said:
My car was advertised for £75K at an OPC, I negotiated the deal and nicked it for £66K with the usual (sheite) warranty etc.

Not in the last 3 or 4 months you didn't... :thumb: (Unless there really was something wrong with it!)

I will concede that there were some really stupid deals available for the first half of this year - when many dealers had to sell stock at whatever they could get, just to raise cash to survive.

However, today is a completely different market-place and I would be very suspicious of anything that appears fairly priced, but still has 20% margin in it (unless we are talking sub-£10,000 cars of course).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back