Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Steaming Up / Condensation

action99

With winter setting in (I live in the NE of Scotland) I am back to having the problem of my 997 heavily steaming up - so much so that it can take up to 5mins to clear the windscreean (the inside!!) in the morning and if its really cold Ice can form inside!

Is this common to the 997, I have check my carpets and there doens't appear to be any wter lying which would exaggertae this.

Hi,

My 2004 C2S does the same... not had the ice yet, but still time (not as cold in N. Yorkshire!)

Try switching your aircon on. You can have the heat turned up too, but one of the benefits of aircon is that it dries the air, and therefore removes any moisture from inside the car.

May I suggest you check all your drain points/tubes...may not be blocked but partially by a seed/leaf etc sufficiently so that in heavy rain the drain cant cope and its going where it shouldnt.

May sound a bit over the top but I put a dehumidifier on the front seat and let it run for 24 hours. Surprising how much water comes out. Porsche is not too bad about third of a cup full last time but better out than constantly circulating! My wifes Range Rover however gave up well over a pint, think she must have been wading through rivers again? Seriously it's surprising just how much water you can bring into a car on wet feet, mud, snow etc.

I have a dehumidifier in the garage, but when it's cool and damp outside, the car's still prone to misting up as soon as I commit the cardinal sin of beathing while in the car :eek:

The window demisters clear the fog away pretty quickly, but the sub-tropical heat they produce persuedes me to turn them off as soon as possible after the window has cleared.

Then, to discourage re-misting, I tend to press the side vent distribution switch (my name for it... it's the right-pointing chevron icon) and wind up the fan several notches.

It's the best compromise I have found so far.

HTH,
Roy :bye:

action99 said:
With winter setting in (I live in the NE of Scotland) I am back to having the problem of my 997 heavily steaming up - so much so that it can take up to 5mins to clear the windscreean (the inside!!) in the morning and if its really cold Ice can form inside!

Is this common to the 997, I have check my carpets and there doens't appear to be any wter lying which would exaggertae this.

Dogging?

Little tip from my time spent in -20 conditions last winter in Sweden... :viking:

If you have had the heater on whilst driving (which is 100% of the time in -20 conditions) when you pull up to park for the evening or any length of time, stick the aircon on for 1 minute as cold as you can get it (or if its not snowing you can also open the door to let the cold air in). It stopped the condensation forming and gets rid of a bit of moisture. I only found out about this after complaining to my Swedish friend about having to scrape the inside and outside of the car windows in the morning (Yes the inside). Not had reason to do that so far this year but its certainly starting to get cold up here in the wilds of Yorkshire :santa:

Haven't noticed this on the 997 yet but it did happen on the 996, would take ages bu finally clear, so think it could be a trait, esp of the cabs

I concur with 119911.

Do not heat the car up too much inside, it will attract moisture as it cools!

Instead, just run the A/C at around 21 degrees, avoid the recirculation button like the plague, and things will be minimised!

119911 said:
Little tip from my time spent in -20 conditions last winter in Sweden... :viking:

If you have had the heater on whilst driving (which is 100% of the time in -20 conditions) when you pull up to park for the evening or any length of time, stick the aircon on for 1 minute as cold as you can get it (or if its not snowing you can also open the door to let the cold air in). It stopped the condensation forming and gets rid of a bit of moisture. I only found out about this after complaining to my Swedish friend about having to scrape the inside and outside of the car windows in the morning (Yes the inside). Not had reason to do that so far this year but its certainly starting to get cold up here in the wilds of Yorkshire :santa:

The above is good advice here - same problem when we go to northern Japan, turn the cold air on - amazingly it clears it up!

Cool air carries less moisture than warm air so running the A/C cold for few minutes before turning off will leave less moisture to condense out as the car cools.

Running the A/C on recirc should, imho, also reduce the moisture content 'cos it only has the occupant's heavy breathing to deal with - no external moisture. Not a good idea for more than a few minutes tho'!

action99 said:
AC is always on (meaning I never use the ECO button).

Sounds like your aircon's not working. With aircon on, even a heavily fogged front screen should clear in a few seconds.

I have a Fiat 500...the aircon being on slows the car down (or feels like it does!) so I only put it on occasionally...so currently when I start up it goes on to help clear.

If your aircon isn;t clearing the fogging, then it isn;t working. Simple as that.

I had the GT3 aircon re-gassed at KwikFit; they knew what they were doing, hasd the right machine for the job, and charged about £50.

The printout showed the quantity of refrigerant removed from the system, which sjhowed that the system was down about 10%.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back