Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

car respray or vinyl wrap--Cost ?

nhxfh

I am thinking about having my bonnet resprayed as its has quite a few stone chips in it.

also the passenger door has been poished (before I brought it) to almost transparant...

The car is Irdris blue.....but as I say its been mopped previously to an inch of its life.

Anyone considered vinyl wrapping :?: and whats the cost compared to a re spray ??

Thanks

nhxfh said:
I am thinking about having my bonnet resprayed as its has quite a few stone chips in it.

also the passenger door has been poished (before I brought it) to almost transparant...

The car is Irdris blue.....but as I say its been mopped previously to an inch of its life.

Anyone considered vinyl wrapping :?: and whats the cost compared to a re spray ??

Thanks

I believe a good job costs roughly the same as a reasonable respray and is only expected to last 5 to 7 years, so from a whole-life perspective, it will cost you far more in the long term than a respray. I've just had vinyl Carrera decals fitted and am happy with the results, but you can see some very minor imperfections in the finish. I would think this would become quite noticeable if the whole car was wrapped in it.

I would also suggest that a 911 would also be difficult to sell-on if wrapped in vinyl rather than paint.

How about this? It will be interesting to see how long it takes to sell. It's on the 911Sport web site.

Attachments

• bling_baby_bling_3s_903.jpg
    bling_baby_bling_3s_903.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 14,260
whoareya said:
nhxfh said:

Thanks

I believe a good job costs roughly the same as a reasonable respray and is only expected to last 5 to 7 years, so from a whole-life perspective, it will cost you far more in the long term than a respray. I've just had vinyl Carrera decals fitted and am happy with the results, but you can see some very minor imperfections in the finish. I would think this would become quite noticeable if the whole car was wrapped in it.

I would also suggest that a 911 would also be difficult to sell-on if wrapped in vinyl rather than paint.

A full respray on a 911 is going to cost a minimum of 3k (and thats cheap most suggest 5k is nearer the mark)

A wrap is more like £1200-£1500 so far cheaper

However you would still need to paint the car once the wrap came off

917k said:
whoareya said:
nhxfh said:

Thanks

A full respray on a 911 is going to cost a minimum of 3k (and thats cheap most suggest 5k is nearer the mark)

A wrap is more like £1200-£1500 so far cheaper

However you would still need to paint the car once the wrap came off

But assuming that a respray will get you through 15 years at least, you may have to wrap the car three times and still have to paint it at the end. So it's not cost effective.

I dont really see it as an alternative to a respray though

Its decent option if you fancy a different colour but dont want to change the colour forever. It means you could sell your car with or without wrap giving a colour option.

I also dont see the point in wrapping a car that neeeds paint (especially if that includes any rust) as it will just get worst under the wrap

I have seen a few vinyl wrapped cars, the finish is good but not quite Porsche level. It is
really only good for vans and track cars because of the graphics on vinyl wrap are far cheaper than air-brushing.

If I am right, you are considering this for it's resilience to stone chips?

If you want a perfect match and finish with stone resistance then get it painted then
have the 3M clear film added straight afterwards.

As I've said before I had my M6 wrapped when I lived in Dubai. In my view it's primary purpose is really to satisfy a desire to change the colour of your car.

Whilst usually a temporary thing, how long do most of us keep the car? Point being that whilst possibly accurate, I don't agree with the economic angle of, "you'd need to do it 2-3 times" as you'd possibly do it and then sell the car a few years down the line. I sold my car, without any issues, fully wrapped. If however you were selling when a bit tatty then I expect you'd need to remove it first.

Quality wise I'd say it was near perfect, only obvious place was the wing mirrors which were fiddly. I didn't have a bumpers off, lights out job but still paid around £2k so my expectation is it would cost at least that much in the UK.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back