Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 2010 Porsche Boxtser 3.4 Spyder unveiled

Porsche News

Porsche's current two-seater roadster, the ever-popular Boxster, is to get a performance makeover for the final few years of its life, when a faster, lighter and more hardcore version called the Boxster Spyder hits UK showrooms.

The Boxster Spyder, revealed in these official Porsche images, will make its motor show debut at next month's Los Angeles Auto Show, before going on sale in the UK in February 2010. The location of its unveiling is a clever one; stripped-out 'Speedster' versions of the Porsche 356, and of various 911s, have found an eager following on the west coast of America over the years.

Based on the current Boxster S, the Spyder will become the third and ultimate version of the car; it's no limited-run special edition. It gets modest power and torque hikes over the Boxster S, running instead the same 3.4-litre engine and tune as the current Cayman S, which develops 315bhp at 7200rpm and 273lb ft at 4750rpm.

Contributing just as greatly to this car's improved performance will be the weight-saving regime Porsche has put it though. The Spyder is 80kg lighter than a regular Boxster S, and its 247bhp-per-tonne power-to-weight ratio compares impressively to that of a regular Boxster S (227bhp-per-tonne), a Cayman S (233bhp per tonne) - even an entry-level 911 Carrera (241bhp-per-tonne).

There are signs of that weight-saving programme all over this car. Up front, the regular Boxster's daytime running lights and fog lamps have been removed and blanked off.

At the rear, the car's automatic roof system has been completely taken out, replaced with a lighter, manually-operated canopy-style roof and new 'double-bubble" style rear deck.

Porsche's weight-saving programme leaves an equally noticeable legacy inside the Spyder's cabin. A pair of lighter and more supportive bucket seats take the place of the standard Boxster S' chairs, and belt-like door pulls replace the regular car's interior doorhandles.

There is no air conditioning as standard and no CD/radio, although buyers will be able to option these systems. The car does feature electric door mirrors and electric windows.

Equipped with Porsche PDK double-clutch gearbox and Sport Chrono Plus package (which includes the all-important launch control), the Boxster Spyder will crack 62mph from launch in just 4.8sec – two tenths of a second quicker than a standard S. It's slightly more fuel efficient than a Boxster S too, although because its roof must be removed for top speed runs, it has a higher co-efficient of drag and a slightly more modest top speed of 166mph.

The Boxster Spyder's chassis will have a more focussed, sporting specification and set-up than a Boxster S', although exact details on that remain to be confirmed. Expect a lower ride height, stiffer springs and anti-roll bars, and fixed rate dampers weighing less per corner than Porsche's sophisticated PASM dampers.

Exterior design flourishes unique to the Boxster Spyder include restyled air intakes in its front valance and on its flanks, a new high-level brake light at the rear and an extended rear spoiler. On the inside, a body-coloured transmission tunnel and fascia accent set the car apart.

In 2004 and 2008 Porsche dedicated a limited edition of special Boxsters bearing the additional name Spyder to these legendary racing cars. By contrast, the new Boxster Spyder is a regular, specially developed and upgraded production model with far-reaching modifications versus the Boxster and Boxster S.

Market introduction of the new Porsche Boxster Spyder will start worldwide in February 2010. The base price in the Euro mainland countries is 53,100 Euro. Including 19 per cent VAT and national specifications, the market price of the new Porsche Boxster Spyder is 63,404 Euro. UK PRICES are TBC.

Attachments

• porsche_boxster_s6_627.jpg
    porsche_boxster_s6_627.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 29,087
  • porsche_boxster_s5_213.jpg
    porsche_boxster_s5_213.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 29,087
  • porsche_boxster_s4_199.jpg
    porsche_boxster_s4_199.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 29,087
  • porsche_boxster_s3_100.jpg
    porsche_boxster_s3_100.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 29,087
  • porsche_boxster_s2_233.jpg
    porsche_boxster_s2_233.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 29,087
  • porsche_boxster_s1_874.jpg
    porsche_boxster_s1_874.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 29,087
Cheesy video launched

but if you wondering what a car without a radio and air con looks like....

see below, not really sure that works....

Attachments

• bsypder1_595.jpg
    bsypder1_595.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 29,057
  • bsypder2_133.jpg
    bsypder2_133.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 29,057
I like the styling... but I think most people will add aircon + CD / satnav as that big gap is just a no-no :what:

IMHO this is the first car in ages that you would not spec aircon on. If it were me I would opt for the stereo though - too many roads where you really have to keep it at a rather quiet rate of knots in this country...

interesting and strange....a modern retro Boxster with 911 esk' 80's decals. :nooo:

Maybe the same bods who stuck the silly 997RS decals on the rear quarter are still working at Porsche?

Like the body shape :thumb:

I quite like it, though I think the name is a bit debateable - CS or Club Sport would have sounded better. A Boxster Spider is like saying a "cabriolet convertible" - you know what I mean :wink:

It has influences from the Carrera GT for the 'double-bubble" style rear deck, the roof looks a little 718 RS60 like, and the retro stripes from the 70's/80's.

A radio (or something to fill the big hole) is a must though!! Maybe they have a special Sport Chrono pack of instruments fill the space...

RichiRich said:
A radio (or something to fill the big hole) is a must though!! Maybe they have a special Sport Chrono pack of instruments fill the space...

Nothing special - it is on the configurator. Standard CD/Radio is no cost, PCM is the usual couple of bags extra. Think the point is just a showcase/alternate use for the delete option from the latest RS (which is where the door pulls came from too).

Why does it have the roof from a Series 1 Elise?

1322437-4.jpg

Edited to add pic (stolen from PH ad) to show extreme similarity.

Looks a nice car but I agree the roof looks a bit dodgy.

Tertius said:

Because as Lotus knows only too well - it takes 80kg out of the kerb weight.

Keep up at the back mate ;)

[You are supposed to use a smiley when being sarcastic Dan]

Disco said:
Tertius said:

Because as Lotus knows only too well - it takes 80kg out of the kerb weight.

Keep up at the back mate ;)

[You are supposed to use a smiley when being sarcastic Dan]

:)

At 1275kg ... must try harder comes to mind ...

By the way when I read Evo today I found they thought the same about the roof ... :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back