Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox Oil How much should a manual car take and what grade

tunetec

Have a manual 997 Carrera 2S of which i needed to change gearbox oil. Spoke to local Porsche Dealer who advised 3.6 litres of 75W-90 fully synthetic. Easy job to do so drained old oil out which amounted 2.5 Litres. Noticed that the car had been leaking oil around the driveshaft seals so thought car had probably lost 1 litre over time which was slightly alarming. After replacing the gearbox oil with 3.6 litres found the car difficult to get 1st and 2nd gear when cold. Called local dealer again to check on amount and was then advised 2.9 litres, when i asked why they said 3.6 they replied "i'm not sure who advised that" which i replied the parts adviser that sold me the oil!

My question is does anyone know the exact quantity the maunal box holds and what fluid is best as i am going to replace it again when i change the driveshaft seals. I am also now worried that the dealer has given me the wrong oil as they only sold it per litre in a clean container so wasn't labelled up apart from the Porsche invoice that said Gear oil.

i cant help im afraid but i wanted to know if it is normal having a little trouble putting the car into 1st when cold. i certainly do find it a bit of an effort. i tend to release the clutch and get into 1st on the second attempt every morning. Is this normal? Hope i havent hijacked your thread but its related i guess.

I'd also really like to know the exact amount and type of gearbox oil for C2S...

I can also add that I too find it difficult getting her into 1st on a cold morning. Part of her charm I call it

:thumb:

Gearbox Oil

Ok, Porsche told me 3.6 litres so i bought 75W 90 from them and put it in the car. From cold the car was proving quite hard to get 1st and 2nd gear. I contacted Porsche again who then confirmed it should be 2.9 litres but their technicians put in 3 litres, this would explain the extra pressure in the gearbox.

As i needed to change the driveshaft seals as they were leaking oil, something i would advise checking if your car has done over 40K miles (you will need to remove the lower belly panel, 4 screws) You will know if it is leaking as there will be oil residue all around the bell housing and associated areas.

Anyway when i drained out the gear oil the first time round there was only 2.5 litres which makes it more consistent with the 3 litres they told me to refill at the second ask. Putting the oil in at the filler point you can get 3.6 litres and at that point it starts to run out but i wouldnlt advise that amount.

Anyhow there is now 3 litres in there and the gearchanges are a lot better although it still can be slightly tight when the car is cold. Thing is the 75w -90 fully synth oil is relatively thick which explains why it may be firmer when the oil is cold.

My main concern would be to check the driveshaft seals and on another topic if you need to change the RMS you may as well do the driveshaft ones when the gearbox is out as they are only £10 each.

From reading other threads i believe the notchy 2nd gear from cold isn't uncommon and looking at previous service work on my car it has been doing it from new along with the smearing on the inside of the windows LOL.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back