Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Cayenne & Dunlop set new Nurburgring lap record

Porsche News

The never-ending contest for bragging rights at the Nürburgring has taken another step forward, with a new record time set.

Rather than the usual scrap between the Porsche 911 and Nissan GT-R or arguments over how much of a production car the Radical SR8LM actually is, this is a whole new tack on the usual Ring story – the Porsche Cayenne Turbo is the quickest SUV around the famed Nordschleife.

It was piloted round courtesy of Dunlop, the tyre company promoting its latest product, the SP Quattromaxx. It's rubber designed especially for big SUVs, but the choice of launch location is evidence that off-road ability isn't key in this class. Instead, the Quattromaxx is designed to maximise driver feedback and boost both wet and dry grip with a trick double tread compound.

A 493bhp, 2.3-ton Cayenne is one of the best cars to demonstrate the new rubber, a car with one of the biggest battles against physics, especially around the Ring. With Porsche Supercup racer Patrick Simon at the helm, a record lap was set on the first attempt – an 8min 35.5sec – but a couple more goes ensured an 8.33.99, a pretty tough time to beat, being just 17sec shy of the infinitely lighter and more nimble Renaultsport Mégane R26.R.

Attachments

• cayring_118.jpg
    cayring_118.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,165
So what was the quickest SUV before that?

I know the 5.0 S/C Range Rover Sport did an 8' 48" earlier this year - in complete showroom spec (so 2.6 tonnes), but I don't think it was officially timed...

Don't think I would have wanted to be in either vehicle at the time though! :eek: (Or in anything else on the track at the time either, for that matter... :nooo: ) Get it wrong in one of them and that's going to be very messy indeed!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back