Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen II Targa 4 & 4S Owners

AH9999

Trainee
Whilst I appreciate this is a niche model and not to everyone's liking, I'm very tempted to order a Gen II Targa 4S.

Targa Gen II Owners.....

Did Porsche manage to fix the rattle & squeek problems with the Gen II?

What's your view good or bad?

Thanks

I don't think there are any active Gen II 997 Targa drivers on this forum (yet).

~ Maxie

997.1 Targa rattles the same as the 996, so I'm comfortable predicting the 997.2 will be just as bad.

997 Targa is much better than 996, same way 996 better than 993

much improved from what I hear, so worth a look

Sundeep said:
997 Targa is much better than 996, same way 996 better than 993

much improved from what I hear, so worth a look

Thanks - that's what I'd heard as well albeit from OPC's :)

....I was just keen to see what other people real experiences were.

Whilst I knew it was a niche option within the Porsche range, no one seems to have a Gen II on this forum which worries me more :)

A close family member of mine has a Targa 997 (coming up to 2 years old now), which I regularly borrow and I can categorically say that it rattles just as much as my 996.2 Targa. It did from this from new. It's not a rattle, it's more of a creak.

The 997.1 and 997.2 are structurally the same, with the only difference being the stripe across the rear and the usual face lift mods (ie. LED lights etc).

I wouldn't let the rattling put you off, as it's a prevalent with all of these types of cars (including non-Porsche) and I think it's a cracking machine.

It's actually not that bad on the 996 or 997, as along as you keep the runners clean and regularly use silicon spray.

If you really want zero rattles/squeaks, then you're better off looking at the coupe.

I am lucky enough to have a GenII Targa 4s and I am a huge fan. having had a 993 (cab and S), 996 and now 997. I think the modern targa 4s is a great option. The rear seats also don't lean forward as they do in the cab, which means my 2 young children fit in the back comfortably, even in our last trip to the South of France!

It does squeek, but only very little, and to be honest you get so much more road noise form a convertible (with the hood up) it feels a fair compromise.

I was worried about the wieght of the roof, but having driven a 4s coupe and targa 4s back to back the diff was so small/unoticable, I went with what i really wanted.

I am prob not the avg targa customer either, I regualrly do track days in other cars, have the sports shift manual gearbox (absolute delight) and hence use the car to its full, when possible.

Test drive one and see for yourself, but for me its been a great choice I have not regretted once.

The rear hatch on the Targa is such a boon to have - totally transforms the practicality aspect of 911 ownership. Wish they all came that way for one car households!

The roof does rattle a bit in the 996 but it's a very minor inconvenience when set against the benefits of the targa roof and hatch.

Test drive one but try not to be obsessive in listening out for every little noise from the roof - if you can't resist doing so, maybe another model may better suit your needs?

Peter

I have owned a 996 targa for 3 months now and I expect all the things have been said about the rattles from the Pan Am Roof.

I have never got to the situation where I have said this is intolerable. but I have to say this, when the car comes out of the garage at home cold then thats when I hear it most, after that its almost gone and with the Bose sound system on, well thats when you never hear it.

Norrie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back