Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie looking for help in choosing the best for buck

ukandy

Hi All

As you can see from the above i am looking to purchase a porsche. I have narrowed the serch to either a 996 carrera 4 s, a 996 turbo or a 997 carrera s.

i would be very grateful for feed back on what people think is the best car for the money and why?

I have also found this example of a 997 for sale and am wondering if it is anybodies car on here or does anybody know about this car and the repairs it had had.
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1153097.htm

Thanks Andrew

I'm not sure I'd want to drive a 180mph car that an Insurance company had seen fit to write off, although I'm sure the seller will assure you that it was only 'cosmetic' and it's been expertly repaired!

Everybody seems to like different cars for different reasons, so my advice would be to drive each fo the models you've mentioned and see which one is right for you.

The one you have mentioned doesn't seem that cheap for a Cat D to me.

too wide a choice really you need to narrow down - even if only by price. if you're looking at circa late 30s 40k you're into good 05-06 997C2S town and almost late 996tt. 30k will net you good late 996C4S.

having recently gone from an 03 996C4S into 06 997C2S can say very different cars......and dont regret it for a moment :D

As far as the 996/997 cars go, they are all fantastic to drive, and obviously very fast.

The rest is down to you and your particular taste! 4X4 cars will offer an easier to live with security, but lack the classic edginess of the RWD models, while the Turbo will be particularly punchy, but more complex.

And so on...

I chose the 997 Carrera, as it was a pure and simple machine which offers me an undiluted portion (no pun!) of Porsche flavour, and a certain economy due to it's low weight and simplicity.

You may prefer more power or even 4WD, it's not my decision though...

Make sure it's a good example with FPSH, and avoid written off Dogs, as any up-front savings are going to be lost at resale time, and in the form of risk.

Hi all

Thanks for the info everybody i really appricate it. being new to this type of car is quite daunting and when your spending this kind of money on a car you need it to be the best of the bunch.

I am looking towards a 997 cs but havent decided wether it will be a 4 or a 2. i think i'll go for which every car comes up as the best all round package for me ie:- cost, color, spec level etc. At first i was thinking of the 996 turbo but if im honest the look off the 997 just does it for me. i so wish i could afford a 997GT3 that would be worth kicking the girlfriend out of bed and moving the car it lol. :grin:

Thanks again and i'll keep you all informed of my progress.

Andrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back