Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a car with a private plate

Poker2009

Suzuka
Hi

I am very close to purchasing a car :D

The owner has a private plate on it - which he wants to keep.
Anyone had any experience of this, and what the deal is with getting it transferred?

If i pay for the car, can I take the car with the plate, while it is being transferred over? I dont want to leave a deposit and then wait for the number to be transferred..

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Transfer of a private number place takes few days. If the guy is selling as soon as you agree with that he needs to inform the DVLA and send the documents for the car to be allocated a number place based on the actual year of registration which means you can not take the car until that is sorted. If the car is transfered to you before that then you own the number place as well. If you take it while is been transfered then you will not be able to get the V5 and be the legal owner before the process finish. I had to do a transfer between two cars that I owned and it took 2.5 weeks before both of them were sorted out and had the right documents. The other option is to go to one of the DVLA offices and try to sort it out there and then.

Theo

The other option is to go to one of the DVLA offices and try to sort it out there and then.

If not a lot of people waiting can be done in under an hour.

I did this recently and was a bit of a nightmare, although I was also trying to purchase a private plate and put it on, whilst the previous owner was trying to take his off the car.

DVLA advise is not to buy the car until you have the logbook with the plate you are buying with the car (i.e. not the private plate). If you buy the car with the plate on it, technically you then own the private plate.

One thing you can not do it go to the DVLA office and expect it to be done there and then. It does speed the process up though. You will receive the new tax disk and MOT about 5 to 7 days after the DVLA visit, and a new log book within 2 weeks. Until you receive these, you will have to drive around with the private plate on.

J90RDN said:
I did this recently and was a bit of a nightmare, although I was also trying to purchase a private plate and put it on, whilst the previous owner was trying to take his off the car.

DVLA advise is not to buy the car until you have the logbook with the plate you are buying with the car (i.e. not the private plate). If you buy the car with the plate on it, technically you then own the private plate.

One thing you can not do it go to the DVLA office and expect it to be done there and then. It does speed the process up though. You will receive the new tax disk and MOT about 5 to 7 days after the DVLA visit, and a new log book within 2 weeks. Until you receive these, you will have to drive around with the private plate on.

If you both go to the DVLA office & have all the right documentation & filled out all the right forms you will get the new MOT & tax disc there & then & can put the plate on the car.You will get the log book in 2 weeks.

RICK911 said:
If you both go to the DVLA office & have all the right documentation & filled out all the right forms you will get the new MOT & tax disc there & then & can put the plate on the car.You will get the log book in 2 weeks.

I'm afraid you can't do that any more (well not at Northampton anyway)... I did a 3-way plate change recently (all my own vehicles) and had every bit of paperwork necessary, but they don't do any while you wait plate transfers any more. :nooo:

Wattie said:
RICK911 said:

I'm afraid you can't do that any more (well not at Northampton anyway)... I did a 3-way plate change recently (all my own vehicles) and had every bit of paperwork necessary, but they don't do any while you wait plate transfers any more. :nooo:

Did it in London Borehamwood in June.Don't know if they have changed now.

beware of the financial cost

Hi, just a fw words as i recently bought the motor on a private plate and the owner wanted to keep it.

I agreed, the previous owner informed DVLA and the new reg came on the registrastion certificate.

You then need to buy new plates and fit - the easy bit!

Make sure you inform your insurers as soon as you receive the new reg as the previous owner will use the plate on his vehicle which then makes your Insurance void - i had to wait 4 days for the new plates to arrive.

You also need to ask for a refund of the tax and get new tax disc.

If you bought vehicle on finance there will also be an admin charge.

Make sure you clear this with the owner - not all owners are crafty but why haven't they re-registere the vehicle - its a way of passing the cost to you!

Hope all goes well though..... once its done its done.

more advice!

Hi, just to say this is needed if you purchase the vehicle on private plate then change over reg post purchase.

I would fill in the tranfer document together in order that your details are cotrrect on the form and DVLA write to you with tranfer/ownership - no need to coverse with the seller.

Hope thos helps - do be carefull and change Insurance once registration certificate is sent to you - otherwise you will be driving without Insurance

I did this earlier this year and whilst it was a bit of a lengthy process it worked fine.

The car I bought had a private plate on it which the owner wanted to keep and I didn't want anyway as I have my own.

I took the car, then got the docs back with the original plate on it, then applied to have my plate put on from a retention certificate.

Just had to make sure I kept my insurers informed and always had each bit of paperwork with me just in case I got stopped.

RICK911 said:
Wattie said:
RICK911 said:

Did it in London Borehamwood in June.Don't know if they have changed now.

This was in May this year and they wouldn't do it on the spot, no matter how hard I tried to persuade them... :frustrated: No-one else was getting theirs straight away either :?:

Not sure if it's a new policy just for Northampton then (I'll try a different one next time), but I've been there a few times and there is always a queue of about 20-30 people minimum, so maybe they're just a particularly busy one?

Thanks for the advice guys - just put down a deposit :thumbs:

Thought best to take the car once the plates changed and new log book arrives - cleanest way of doing it (I hope)!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back