Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 to 997 jump..........

CUE99T

Spa-Francorchamps
So yeah........

First points are, I am really appreciative to OPC Nottingham for their efforts as this car was an SOR car that their sister branch had been selling so they had not done the PPI, but when it came to OPC Notts it was given a very thorough inspection from top to toe and it turned out the previous owner had a jammer in the car and had it spliced into the main fibre optical cable and it took almost a week to strip out the optics and put it all back togeather again so happy I missed that bill. The car also need a little paint and they had taken guidance from Porsche GB about the brakes, and a big thanks go out to Mark Pierce from Stirlings for his documents and advice on the Gen 2 PCCB's as that helped me point them in the right direction also - Cheers Mark! The wheels were diamond cut .....only a few people can do this....and all 4 needed done so they matched and they look fantatsic in the flesh much better than any picture shows!! And of course the yellow comes through nicely!!! :) I love the comfort and support the Adaptive sports seats give too.

993->997
First impressions.....is it is alot quicker.....and I mean alot.....but of course the old girl is fast and at 408bhp she is no slouch with her new clutch and brakes but not even close to the new car. I hit 80 in 2nd and didn't even know I had hit it. It's amazing to see the difference back to back. The exhaust note is throatier at all revs than the 993. The handling is alot sharper in the 997 and the turn in is sharper and I almost hit a few curbs already but managed to avoid them once I realised I was too close. Tbh I would not pay 70k to change from the 993 to 997 in any format, but there is still something special about the 993 that makes me love it so much. I think as I have the Aerokit II the design is very similar but the 997 is just so much more useable in every way which is what I wanted with the kids etc, but the short shift in the new car is hard to get used to immediately, maybe over time it will seem the norm. The gearing on the 993 seems better, much smoother but I think this is due to the natiure of the short shift in the 997 being aggressive. It feels bigger the new car with it's back higher up, and things like a one touch sunroof, and easier controls on the centre console it all feels like a fast daily car, but I miss the 5 large dials like a cockpit of important information, involving me in every beat of it's heart as the oil and petrol flow through it's veins and thats whats the main difference, this car is not as mechanically involving, it's for people who want an easier life, and less to worry about.

More to come as the days go on.....it's sunny I am off out....... :mrgreen:

RE: Involved...

I know the feeling I went from a 3.2 Carrera to a 997 Carrera S and sometimes if i'm cruising in the 997 it doesn't feel any different to a saloon car (except when I floor it of course!!). The 3.2 was a tough cookie that you had to tame and I was always on edge about feeling the back end going out (probably a lot more so in the turbo!). My dad was telling me off on the way back from collecting the 997 for throwing the gear stick around like I did in the 3.2 :dont know:

One thing about my 997 is I don't get noticed as much as the 3.2 and my friends are divided over what they liked most. The 3.2 was classic looking whilst the 997 with aero kit and techarts is a lot more 'bling'. The girlfriend wasn't convinced until I put my foot down for the first time and dropped her off in front of her mates :grin:

Be interested to see how things develop for you. I saw the pics on the other thread and it looks great. :mrgreen:

However much I love the 997 I still feel a little pang whenever I see an air cooled, I don't think that will ever go away. Maybe I'll buy a couple to tinker with and polish when i'm retired...in 35-40 years.... :sad:

Well, big drive today, did 326 miles by 10am.........

And now it's back home with it's brother.... :D

Just tucked the 993 away as I reckon I will be busy tomorrow......pics to follow.....and it's not only the 997......

Anyway after 48hrs and a large drive I am now getting into the car alot and it's short shift is hard to get at first but 3rd gear is great and is all ya really need!!! :D

The induction noise is great and surprised me, but also the car gets looked at all day by people, and thats also surprised me. I thought it would blend in but it hasn't and think thats maybe due to the gleam off the wheels and bodywork as it's immaculate. Everyone has asked me is it brand new, as it's in spectacular condition so again thanks to OPC Notts for the prep.

Liking the silly things like cup holders and a great BOSE sound system and cd holders - gotta put Bob The Builder CD somewhere :grin:

Yesterday I said it felt less involving, but it's just different as things like the tyre pressures and boost guage and bar guage are really interesting and tbh I haven't even looked at anything else on the dash just these really as they are the fun bits!! I will post up some pics as I have never seen these until now so some of you guys might not know what am talking about but it's a great onboard computer and thats the difference it's like the same as the 993 but with the tecnology updated to reflect the times.

Sport chrono is really interesting.......really firm when ya want that sport action and so nice and comfy when just normal. Swallowed up the miles this morning no problem!!!!

I';; give some feedback on other things as they occur but for now am really really happy and thats shocked me if I am totally honest as I thought it was only Italina metal anyone really bothered about like this. Maybe the yellow calipers help and the condition of the car, but all I can say is sorry to the guy who's bird was leaning over him to have a right stare and a big smile at the lights last night.....or was it me she was gawping at????......lol

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back