Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil levels?

My 997 S seems to show full oil sometimes and 1/2 oil randomly at other times. I can't really see any pattern...is this usual? I was on the M1 for 40 miles at 1/2 oil, stopped for a pee and it was back at full. :eh!:

Are you definitely checking it the right way?

Seems strange! If there is a fault with the measurement tool, could lead to serious problems!

I thought you measure oil before you start the engine.... At least thats how mine behaves. Also make sure that you always check it on a flat/level place.

Theo

997799 said:
My 997 S seems to show full oil sometimes and 1/2 oil randomly at other times. I can't really see any pattern...is this usual? I was on the M1 for 40 miles at 1/2 oil, stopped for a pee and it was back at full. :eh!:

Are you talking about the oil level or the oil pressure :dont know:

Should be checked when engine at running temp and on flat surface, I tend to put the car in the garage when I get home and check it then so I know I am consistent with the level etc. Mine is a gen 2 so only lets you check the oil when at running temp. Each bar represents 0.4 ltrs (i think). I think I have used about 1.5 litres in 2,400 miles, but my car is fairly new.

You must be looking at the oil pressure guage on the right hand side of the cluster. oil level is determined by turning ignition switch round one notch and it will give you a level.

If you have been looking at the oil pressure guage that is normal behaviour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back