Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Options - Gen II Sat Nav - Don't Bother

Talisker

When I test drove the Gen I and found the Sat Nav to be poor, I was told that the Gen II would have a hard drive and be up to date.

It is CARP (not sure about swearing in the forum) it is by far the worst sat nav I have ever used. The mapping is at least 5 years out of date, it still has 4 digit post codes, it only found one of the first 11 addresses. Within a week I upgraded it to a Tom Tom !! (Much to the disgust of the dealership)

I found a US Company called Pro Clip they shipped a Tom Tom clip designed for the 997, which positions the Tom Tom it to the left of the temperature control. It arrived within 3 days or ordering. It's non-intrusive and I can't fault it. I can even upload all the speed cameras, Nandos restaurants and fish and chip shops.

The POI symbols in the factory fitted sat nav are ok, other than that a complete waste of money

I think you will find that none of the German manufacturers have full postcode recognition sat nav. Only Toyota/Lexus, Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover have it as far as I am aware on the OEM system. (Possibly Aston Martin as well, if they use the Jaguar Denso system).

I was told it had 7 digit postcode search as it was the same system in the VW. (Don't actually know if that was 7 digit postcode lol).

The Porsche website says it does have a hard drive though -

Navigation module

The optional GPS navigation system has a hard drive containing map data for most European countries, allowing for fast route calculations with a choice of three alternative routes.

A touchscreen enables rapid destination input and instant viewing of traffic information and points of interest (POIs) by simply allowing you to touch the symbols on the map. Route diversions can therefore be incorporated quickly and easily into the current route guidance.

When viewing a map, it is possible to select between a 3D perspective and a 2D display. At motorway exits, graphical turn indications are displayed for better orientation. In splitscreen mode, you can choose to display not only the current map overview, but also a list of icons that represent dynamic route guidance.

After years of using a Garmin product daily which calls the names of streets has predictave speech etc and is hard to fault I have the pcm 2 in my C2S, my first factory fitted unit. Yes it is not as good as the Garmin (other satnavs are available), but I have to say it has always got me to where I asked it; and a lot closer than I could have on my own. It must be dissapointing then to find that a new gen 2 has not improved it greatly, particularly given the cost of these things.

I think you have to adjust to how to use these fitted ones and once used to putting in the street names and not over relying on postcodes, they work fine ish. I think I read somewhere that European countries dont use the postcode system as much as we do, that is why it is not on them just for us at present.

To follow on from my original post, I actually took it back to the dealer as I thought they must have forgotten to update it. I was told it was as up to date as it could be, though they expect the annual update after October. They really are missing a trick, I'd happily pay a subscription for regular updates. Apparently there's a way to upload speed cameras onto the inbuilt BMW satnavs, another reason to use Tom Tom in the Porsche

So is it hard drive based or not. Porsche say it is, the OP and Sundeep say No! :dont know:

ResB said:
So is it hard drive based or not. Porsche say it is, the OP and Sundeep say No! :dont know:

Yes it's hard drive based

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back