Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ipod interface

steve3851

Have used an 8GB ipod nano in gen2 S2 for 1 year without having to charge it up outside of the car....changed to new 16GB nano and it tells me that the charging facility is not compatible with this accessory....ipod runs out of juice in about 3-4 hours....am I being thick....is there something the matter with the interface and/or ipod.....or have I not realised that the original ipod was not charging thought he car....am a bit confused...anyone out there able to help?

steve

hi,

i know that apple changed the pin that supplies power on the connector for the iPhone because my old charging cables wouldn't charge the iPhone. I wonder if they have done the same for the new iPods. are you able to test with an iPhone?

I ain't got an iphone....but interestingly, I acquired an in car charger for ipods with some connectivity kit....and this doesn't charge the new nano in the porsche either...but haven't checked whetherthe cable works in other cars, or whether the old ipod charges with this cable....it may be worth contacting apple??

steve

You got two options.

1) Buy the new cable from Porsche (ipod connection in one end and USB for charging and round jack in the other end) - not sure price
2) Buy scosche passport which costs 20 pounds which converts the the charging pins

As my cable was faulty, my OPC swapped my cable to the new one on exactly the same day as I received scosche passport which I now don't need. PM me if you want it at a good discount

This is sounding more like the answer....even tho' guy from Porsche didn't have a clue????? Another phone call beckons.

Cheers

Steve

Sorted....guy from parts knew about this as new cable provided for the new generation ipods required for PCM3 units to charge and profile players. £18 + vat
:)

This is interesting.

I have a Gen II 8GB iPod Nano in a Gen II 997, which I bought new last month.

The PCM kept interrupting play, saying "iPod not connected". I spoke to the OPC and asked them to send out a new cable, so that we could rule this out first.

After plugging the new cable into the iPod, the iPod played for a while, but then died completely. Wouldn't power up at all. I'm now wondering:

1. Did the iPod merely drain completely, because it was no longer getting charged?
2. Has something in the new cable damaged the iPod?

The iPod was used with a MoBridge system in my Gen I 997 for months without issue, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Any ideas?

lp1967 said:
This is interesting.

1. Did the iPod merely drain completely, because it was no longer getting charged?
2. Has something in the new cable damaged the iPod?

The iPod was used with a MoBridge system in my Gen I 997 for months without issue, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Any ideas?

Just to clarify, which ipod do you have? Purchaed it last month or have you used it for months in a Gen 1?

Which cable do you have (new cable is ipod cable one end and other end is split into USB and DIN - this cable only will charge 5gen ipods/iphones) and yes i think you Ipod is out of battery - charge it as see if it works so we can exclude that it is broke.

Sorry madst. Allow me to start again and hopefully answer your questions.

The iPod Nano is one year old, so it's the Generation II model (wide format, rather than the original skinny format). I used this successfully in my Generation I 997 using the MoBridge unit, which used to charge it successfully, too.

I took delivery of a brand new Generation II 997 on 31-Jul and when this iPod was plugged in using the official Porsche cable (with iPod connector, DIN and USB), music playback was interrupted intermittently with the PCM displaying "iPod not connected". It would then recover a few minutes later. I THINK the iPod was charging correctly at the time, as I never ran out of battery (although I know that is not 100% conclusive as to whether it was indeed charging).

My OPC suggested a cable change in the first instance and I received this last weekend. I played the iPod a couple of times and had the same issue (iPod not connected). I was then put off the trail when my iPod died completely and wouldn't recover even after a full recharge.

Then, miraculously, the iPod displayed something about being restored to factory settings, but then miraculously again - recovered as if nothing had been wrong in the first place.

So, bearing in mind your information I guess my questions are now:

1. What is causing the iPod to go offline intermittently?
2. Are there two different iPod cable standards from Porsche?
3. Did my iPod simply discharge, or was it damaged? (remember, it would not recover initially - even after several hours of charge)

Hope that's clear. All input received gratefully.

lp1967 said:
So, bearing in mind your information I guess my questions are now:

1. What is causing the iPod to go offline intermittently?
2. Are there two different iPod cable standards from Porsche?
3. Did my iPod simply discharge, or was it damaged? (remember, it would not recover initially - even after several hours of charge)

Hope that's clear. All input received gratefully.

Very clear.

Not sure if you could over charge the Ipod if i.e. got power from two sources (USB and DIN) - no risk for that with the latest generation Ipods as the pins has been moved around so the only power source is from the USB connector with the latest Porsche cable. Alternatively, try with another Ipod to see if that work.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful,
Mads

Your predictions were correct - it does not charge.

The manual says clearly that the iPod should charge when in use. I've tested with

Original iPod Nano 4GB
Second Generation Nano 8GB
First Generation iPhone

None of these charge.

Where did you get the information that the iPod would not charge?

Thanks in anticipation.
L

lp1967 said:
Your predictions were correct - it does not charge.

The manual says clearly that the iPod should charge when in use. I've tested with

Original iPod Nano 4GB
Second Generation Nano 8GB
First Generation iPhone

None of these charge.

Where did you get the information that the iPod would not charge?

Thanks in anticipation.
L

I was told with the lastest ipods and iphone that Apple had changed the charging pins for some extremely odd reason which is the reason you need the new cable. I understand that you got the new cable hence the only other suggestion is to go to your local OPC and get them to check the wiring of the universal audio unit - could be an installation error. Also, remind them to check your ipod with an alternative cable - cable could still be faulty.

Good luck, let us know what the outcome is,
Mads

Guys - I hardly ever post on this forum but just jumped over to see what was happening in the UK...and saw this thread.

I had exactly the same issue on my 997.2 with an iPod classic G5. Occasionally I got that iPod Not Connected message, usually when the car was started but more than once in the middle of listening to it. On 2-3 occasions it died (out of battery) yet when I unplugged and re-connected it the charging symbol came up normally and it recharged quite happily.

Like you lp I suspected the cable but didnt get around to swapping it. Then one day a couple of weeks back it stopped completely and nothing I could do would get it going again. Good - not an intermittent fault!

So I tried charging the iPod using the normal mains charger. No go. Dead. Connected my 3G iPhone to the car - connected fine less the charging as expected.

Took the iPod back to the Apple dealer I bought it from as it was still under warranty. Software fault on the iPod - he reset it and we were away. All normal now.

Hope that experience helps.

Alister

Alister

I've been away for a few days. Sorry for not responding earlier.

It was good to see your experiences matched mine somewhat, but with the exception of how your story concludes. None of my Apple devices charge and all are up to date software.

Any ideas?

:(

I have had a similar problem.

I bought a nearly-new C2S in Aug. My 120G IPod Classic worked fine for playback. I left it connected but turned off in the car for a couple of hours (battery at about 80%). When I went out later the unit was completely dead.

First attempt to revive/recharge via computer USB did not work. Some time on a mains charger did bring it back to charge mode - battery was completely dead.

Clearly something is awry in the car connection to have discharged the iPod so completely. I did wonder about a voltage surge or similar when starting: I could see that might kill the unit but does not explain the battery drain.

On a visit to the dealer, they tried it with an Nano which did not charge and then got the same result with a new lead.
Now they suggest having the car in for a day or two to sort the problem. I do not want the hassle and can live with no charging as well as remembering to disconnect it each time.

So now I hope to read that someone has found a solution!

Thanks.

Mike (newbie)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back