Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM: how to install GPS navigation and Bose

Carrera-GTI

Hello - I've been searching this forum and Internet all day and am still unsure of how it works.

*Navigation:
I am looking to buy a Porsche 997 May 2005 which has PCM (how to check version, is it 2.0, 2.1 etc?)

I would like to add on Navigation which I understand is possible. However, I am not sure which parts to use? And, is the PCM fairly generic so other manufacturers Navi parts can be used, for example a hard drive based system in contrast to a CD or DVD based system?

Questions:
a) How to determine version of PCM (is it easy when I know it is a May 2005 car?)
b) Which parts are needed for the upgrade (it does not have Bose).
c) Can I use non-Porsche parts with advantage so I can have hard drive and not CD / DVD based navigation?
d) Where to buy parts at best price, eBay? (I'm UK based but can have shipped from US if recommended seller is N. America based).
e) What is estimated price for all this if I do it myself and have anyone else done this upgrade, any DIY guides would be much appreciated.
f) Can the new 2gen 997 finger touch based (PCM 3.0?) system be fitted instead with navigation?
*Bose:
The car I'm looking at 997 May 2005 doesn't have Bose sound system which I would like.
Questions:
a) Is it possible to retrofit or would it involve too much pulling apart of the car to fit the hardware?
b) Since the PCM unit in the car has amplifier as it does not have Bose, will it even work with bose?
c) Recommended seller of hardware and estimated price
d) Any DIY guides would be great.

PS: I'm new to this forum and the world of Porsche so I apologize if I ask questions which have already been asked but I have searched and can't find the answers so please bare with me

Very difficult if not impossible for an amateur to retrofit
you need a navigation module and a dvd drive plus everything is fibre optic leads not copper wires
An OPC can retrofit it for you for just over £2000,
the kit is about £1300 plus 6 hours labour

plus you'll need a Porsche laptop to reprogramme the car so it knows it has navigation

BOSE dont bother trying to retrofit

all 997's have full leather in answer to your other post

The 997 has PCM 2.1. If you're looking for BOSE and Nav, i think you'd be better buying a car which already has these - it will be cheaper than retro-fitting (there are plenty of highly specced cars around) and will help your resale price too when the time comes to sell. As Mark says, BOSe isn't a practical retro option, likewise, I think the 'Phone module's a £1,400 retro-fittable option. Hardly practical.

As regards Navigation, frankly there are better units out there. The absence of full postcodes and touch-screen and the inability to add your own POI (camera positions etc. on the grounds of safety of course) make the standard OEM navigation a flawed solution.

Others in these pages have investigated alternative navigation units, so try searching the forum for Kenwood and Pioneer.

Finally if you decide to have any work done on your new car, be aware that work performed outside of the official Porsche (OPC) network can jeopardise an official Porsche warranty. (That's if you decide to buy from an OPC, of course). Again there are plenty of column inches on the topic in this forum.

Good luck with your purchase, I look forward to seeing some pics!

Cheers,
Roy

(a) The 2004 & 2005 MY 997 has PCM 2.0. From 2006 to the end of Gen 1 997 production, it was fitted with PCM 2.1. I don't know all the differences between the versions but the later module was fitted with partial post-code entry for navigation whereas with 2.0, you have to enter the full address.

(c) Not possible to fit a hard drive unit to the PCM 2.0 or 2.1. The hard drive only came with the PCM 3.0 release.

(f) I think to fit the latest PCM 3.0 to a 2005 model will present more problems than it's actually worthwhile to do so (and that's not including the cost and fitting). I've not heard of this being done before but if this is what you are planning to do with a non-nav model, then why not go after-market and fit something else that will be worthwhile?

All the other parts I believe Mark Pearce covered in his post. In the end, it's best just to get a car with the spec you would like rather than to add bits and pieces.

~ Maxie

Thank you all for your replies. It is a great help to get advice from experienced 911 owners.
It might be better to go for a car with more options fitted from factory.

I can probably live without Bose - provided the standard speaker system doesn't sound like tired and without clarity or bass. How would you rank the standard 997 speaker system?

I am all for a non-original Navi unit - would that mean using a different head unit (PCM) or can a non-Porsche navi unit work with the PCM as front end? I just think it always look best with the original front end (buttons etc) as it is designed to fit along with the rest of the car interior.

If it can't work with the PCM - which non-Porsche navi unit would you recommend?

Many thanks again!

Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back