Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 PDK Test Drive/Loan

uuf361

Daytona
HD2 went in today to have a couple of bits done and although I was originally booked into a Boxster, the nice man at Mid-Sussex gave me a 997.2 instead.

Good, I thought, my chance to see how different is and I got a C4S PDK..... :) ...or so I thought.

I cannot believe how thoroughly disappointed I was with this car, well the gearbox more than anything.....

Now mine is a Tip so I should be used to it but I thought the PDK to be far far worse.......the 7 speeds mean ratios are bonkersly close together.......

To start, unlike the Tip, there was a truly horrible hesitation which, IMO, could be dangerous.

And the car almost always felt like it was in the wrong gear - kept coming off roundabouts in 5th when it needed 3rd or maybe even second.........

I'm told the car learns your driving style but mine was hardly that energetic given today's inclement weather (torrential downpours in Chavley).......

Also the interior (Black) didn't look great IMO (perhaps I'm too used to Sand :wink: )

So overall not that impressed :(

So the Tip is better than the PDK in your opinion? I've heard that the PDK moves to as a high a gear as possible in order to achieve the fuel consumption figures that Porsche claim for PDK equipped cars. I've also heard you can be doing just 40mph and be in 7th at the same time. It's no wonder then you were still in 5th when coming off that roundabout where as 2nd or 3rd, as you say, would feel more natural.

~ Maxie

Seems like you are comparing a Turbo Tiptronic (TT cab?) with a regular C4S PDK? I'm sure the extra 100BHP will help in the Turbo. I came from a C2S tiptronic to a PDK C4S and the difference is like night and day.

I thought the tiptronic was laggy and unreposnsive and probably a worse autobox than a 330i BMW. The PDK is superb in my experience, especially if you have sport chrono and use the sport button. I'm sure a Turbo Tiptronic feels rapid in any circumstance and any cooking 911 will feel slow if compared to a turbo.

In regular mode PDK card can feel a bit sluggish (when compared to other supercar type performance), but plenty of right foot will cure that. As said above, the constant hunting for 7th is linked to Porsche's desire to post good fuel economy and CO2 numbers. This can be locked out if you have sport chrono.

Still, if you you are driving the PDK in auto and arrive at a roundabout in 6th or 7th, a couple of blips of the throttle will have you in 3rd in the blink of an eye (way faster than the tiptronic would ever get there) and you are good to go.

I think it's really really hard to argue that, in like for like cars, the tiptronic is a better gearbox than the PDK. I'm sure when the turbo comes out with PDK it will make the tiptronic look a bit pedestrian.

In the last two weeks I have driven 997TT in Tip form and 997C2S in PDK form and my own 993TT in manual form, and have to say the PDK was just tremendous. It never starts in 2nd like a Tip and changing times of gears was ultra quick and quicker than I could do manually so if I gor for a new car it would be the PDK all day long. I have owned a 360F1 and think it felt almost as good as that, and even liked the throttle blipping on the way downshift!! :thumb:

When I drove a C2S Tip and C2S PDK back to back at Silverstone - the PDK was a massive improvement.

Isn't the Tiptronic on the Turbo a better box (or at least the extra power helps it along) than on the NA cars?

The whole point of PDK is surely to give you a paddle shift manual gearbox for high performance? The automatic function is just for when you are feeling lazy...

I thought the PDK was light years ahead of the Tip when I had a 24 hour test drive in a C4S last year.

I think you must have got too used to the turbo horsepower and torque doing the work for you... :hand:

never trust an auto gearbox to have the right gear..

but how does the so called wrong way around layout of PDK compare to tiptronic

Maybe it's just me then but I thought it was awful although did only drive it for 50 miles :nooo:

You should not (IMO) have to ram foot to floor to make the car move from standing - I think this is a little dangerous - and it should know what gear to be in - I shouldn't have to blip the throttle to make it change down and it shouldn't labour at 1,100rpm trying to pick up speed.

The tip is almost always in the correct gear :dont know:

The changing of the gears in the PDK was better than the Tip TBH - smoother for sure :thumbs:

I don't mind it starting off in second but as has been said my extra 100+ horses will probably help that :D

I've driven a 997 Tip (when they first came out) and remember it being fine - perhaps I should try again to be able to make a proper comparison...........

Wrong way round layout SD - not sure what you mean :?:

"Wrong way round" refers to the steering wheel buttons being "pull" for downshift and "push" for up shift, so not realy like a flappy paddle gear shift at all.

Some don't like it. I personally don't have a problem with it (it's not such a hard thing to remember!)

I'm also one of the lazy ones that drives it like an auto all the time :oops:

Actually I too didn't mind the wrong way round bit, once I'd worked it out :oops:

uuf361 said:

Wasn't that a bike "road trip" with Ewan Boorman and Charley McGregor?

GT4 said:
uuf361 said:

Wasn't that a bike "road trip" with Ewan Boorman and Charley McGregor?

I thought that was Long Way Round or Long Way Down :?:

...erm, what with humour being dead if you have to explain it, yes Long Way Round and Long Way Down were real, they were about Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor (those being the right way round names)

whereas, oh, nevermind .... :oops:

GT4 said:
...erm, what with humour being dead if you have to explain it, yes Long Way Round and Long Way Down were real, they were about Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor (those being the right way round names)

whereas, oh, nevermind .... :oops:

Your lack of smilies confused me :( :oops:

Sorry, didn't realise we were suppose to "mug" to the audience, like some end-of-the-pier farce!

... Also, I can't seem to get smilies on my iPhone consistently (works on some forums, not others)

To be honest, I did think transposing the names gave enough of a hint!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back