Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel bolts that wouldn't rust

herbie911

Monza
Hi Guys,
Give the car a good clean today--very happy with the end result except some rusting on all locking wheel bolts.
Does anyone here can recommend a reputable company that do anodised wheel bolts for Gen 2 997. Thanks for your help!
Herbie

DesignTek sell stainless steel bolts, a fraction heavier then OEM but don't rust,

I run them on my GT3

http://www.design911.co.uk

wboltkit01lr.gif

Attachments

• dk_bolts_626.jpg
    dk_bolts_626.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 8,509
I have a set of those also Sundeep. They are actually 90gm each IIRC which is twice the weight of the standard bolts.

If you have a 997 within the standard manufacturers warranty you can get them changed FOC at your OPC. I never knew that so missed out.

damn, add a few more and my extended bolts for the spacers I run have added 1.2KG unsprung mass to my GT3 ! that's almost 7KG equivalent for inside of the car :pc:

Thanks guys for your reply! I rung up my OPC today and was quite surprise that they are happy to replace them free of charge. Of course I told them I use Porsche wheel cleaner only!

I am really tempted with those anodised wheel bolts. I think they look gorgeous esp. with black wheels. Will give design911 a call and see if they do one without the DT logo!

herbie911 said:
Thanks guys for your reply! I rung up my OPC today and was quite surprise that they are happy to replace them free of charge. Of course I told them I use Porsche wheel cleaner only!

Wow, my first helpful post. lol...get me some while you're at it. ;)

I have been doing a lot of work on this subject
Stainless steel wheel bolt from Design911 is good vfm but stainless steel is weaker than mild steel.
Titanium wheel bolts from an Italian firm looks fantastic and weigh less than standard bolts. They are standard fit for F360CS. They are very expensive--$1000US+
FVD chrome wheel bolt are the cheapest but they stop manufacturing them.
This leave me with chrome wheel bolt from Boothe Design in America. Cost me $316 exc. shipping. I will post picture once my bolts arrived and fitted!

I know this sounds crude :eek: but hear me out! some cars these days have plastic covers over the wheel bolt heads :grin: they range in colour from silvers to black :D so if its just the look perhaps it could be the way to go :thumbs:

ResB said:
I have a set of those also Sundeep. They are actually 90gm each IIRC which is twice the weight of the standard bolts.

If you have a 997 within the standard manufacturers warranty you can get them changed FOC at your OPC. I never knew that so missed out.

Nice one Rich, I didn't know that and am still in the manufacturers warranty too, result.........err that's a pint I owe you :thumb:

djw said:
I know this sounds crude :eek: but hear me out! some cars these days have plastic covers over the wheel bolt heads :grin: they range in colour from silvers to black :D so if its just the look perhaps it could be the way to go :thumbs:

I had these on my car and was happy with them. I have a spare set for sale for £8 +P&P with proceeds going to charity - link is here.

There's a very long thread on the PCGB site regarding non-original wheel bolts - many of which subsequently failed or have distorted. They were supplied by "that" firm and they are "looking into it".
I know which bolts I'd sooner have on my wheels when I'm buzzing down the Autobahn and have to avoid a Dutch tourist!

Which are those Peter B? The rusting through to the core after 20 years corrosion :D

Just a thought guys how about fixing the existing bolts by nickel plating them ???? I know you can buy DIY kits but I am sure you can find specialized places where you can do that.

Theo
:dont know:

I understand that the bolts that failed were new non-OE pattern made from the wrong material and finished with the incorrect design of shoulder where the bolts contact the wheels.
As for rust - my OE set are made from anodised alloy and have survived 14 years and 108,000 miles!

Peter B said:
I understand that the bolts that failed were new non-OE pattern made from the wrong material and finished with the incorrect design of shoulder where the bolts contact the wheels.
As for rust - my OE set are made from anodised alloy and have survived 14 years and 108,000 miles!

Don't take me seriously Peter B, I'm an idiot :bonk: :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back