Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPCs - watch out!

npilling

Just had interim service at OPC, £600 inc. brake fluid change.

Expensive enough, but then they try to eak out unnecessary work - they wanted £950 to replace the alternator, £150 for a horn (one of the two tones) and £40 to hoover out some leaves from behind the spoiler air ducts! It turns out there's nothing really wrong with the alternator, just charging at 0.4V less than normal. And as for the leaves, I sorted this myself in 10 mins.

And then, a few days later noticed some oil on the driveway. It turns out they hadn't tightened the sump drain nut!

The OPC showroom was spotless, with usual free drinks and TV, and lots of 'how are you today Sir', but it seems no real honest competency underneath.

A poor show!

Charging for getting rid of the leaves and the cost of one of the horns is bad.

What voltage is your alternator charging at? 13.8V ?

Just thought, ironic that OPC's charge too much and then they criticise your alternator for not charging enough :D

are you sure the £150 for the Horn wasn't anything to do with looking at the birds on the reception desk?

996UFO said:
Charging for getting rid of the leaves and the cost of one of the horns is bad.

What voltage is your alternator charging at? 13.8V ?

Just thought, ironic that OPC's charge too much and then they criticise your alternator for not charging enough :D

are you sure the £150 for the Horn wasn't anything to do with looking at the birds on the reception desk?

One of the birds is more expensive than £150/hr :wink:

I got fed up with my OPC on my first visit, went in to ask about servicing costs etc and the folk in there walked about with their noses in the air as if I was a homeless guy who stumbled in off the street. Ok, I'm probably much younger than the majority of their customers (30) but even then I'm sure the average age of the Porsche owner is coming down all the time (maybe worthy of a poll????). Anyway that put me off straight away, I've now been using an indy in Edinburgh (David Phillips) who is spot on! Very reasonable labour rates, will take a look at my car at the drop of a hat, no ***** and knows his stuff. Highly recommended!

Does anyone else get the 'better than you attitude' from the OPCs? I would love to go in one day and compare payslips and see their attitude change!! :grin:

I'm going to pop into my local OPC to price up a couple of parts and just to confirm that all the recall work has been done.
I'll be interested to see how they welcome me seeing as I normally go about in scruffy jeans and dirty trainers when I'm off work (I normally do some work on the house or the track car when I'm off). I'm also curious to see if the reception girls are as fit as everyone suggests.....

Me too, I've asked for dates, advice and quotes for work I wanted done and never received a call back.

Think most OPCs generally prefer customers who don't know what needs doing or what they're talking about and certainly not 911UK forum members :)

Also important to say that there are some really good guys at OPCs too,. For example Sean in the parts dept at Reading OPC, really helpful chap.

oze172 said:
Also important to say that there are some really good guys at OPCs too,. For example Sean in the parts dept at Reading OPC, really helpful chap.

Ditto the guys in parts at Chiswick, very helpful and always friendly, if you can get your call through that is... :pc:

The guys at OPC Mid Sussex are very good 8)

Yes,

The guys at Colchester OPC parts were really helpful in locating and forwarding my daft machine screw replacement. Despite the novelty 44 pence price tag they were extremely helpful!

Martin

Glad to see that the same bad attitude happens in other countries ! OPCs seem to have a problem with second-hand cars (even if they are selling those cars) and especially with young people (I'm 32!).

I hate that look and judgement ! If I couldn't afford the car I wouldn't buy it. I'm a customer as good as every other they have.

Dave said:
The guys at OPC Mid Sussex are very good 8)
+1 :thumbs:

Recently visited my well respected independent. Waited an hour for the receptionist to tell me what was wrong with the car which was incorrect. Ended up going to OPC Byfleet who spent an hr finding the fault and rectifying it. Also their labour rates on 10 year cars is only £10/hr more than my independent.

Well I popped into Notts OPC to get a price.
I picked up a secondhand 3 spoke steering wheel to replace the four spoke and needed an airbag.

Anyone here not understand this?

So explained this to the parts manager, first thing he said was:
ok, what's your registration?
well I thought why do you want this
To check the part
But its a new steering wheel, not from my car, thats the point
So whats it from?
A later 996
?
( I had the bloody wheel in question in my hand, I mean how many steering wheels are fitted to 996's)
So what is the registration of the car it came from
I dont know its secondhand
oh, various comments, like, it's difficult if you dont have the reg, etc,
( the wheel has its part number stamped inside which I showed him)
he goes off into the workshop with the wheel
a long time later reappears
He comes back really pleased with himself after solving an incredidibly complex mystery that would taken a lesser man days to work out. We have done some detective work, its from a later car, after looking at lots of files, we have found it ( shows me the exploded drawing with the parts) it will be 600 + vat.
ok thanks

I felt like I was asking halfords for a trunion from a 1929 fraser nash, I was so glad someone in the workshop recognised the rare sight of a 966 steering wheel, otherwise it would have been a very long day.

On the plus side the receptionist was lovely, offered me a coffee and my kids sat in a new grey turbo in the showroom, trouble is I want one now and it has to be new...

ps someone was in my road last night in 996 gt3 rs, small world

anyone dealt with the sutton coldfield opc ?

adeb70 said:
anyone dealt with the sutton coldfield opc ?

No but have dealt with Solihull which is only up the road and they have been. good. Kerry in service especially. Don't know now though after being sold

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back