Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil consumption

a17thc

Hi all,

My Carrea S oil level has gone from full to one bar above min in just over three thousand miles.. It has 47k on the clock, runs like a dream and no smoke anywhere.. No leaks either, the RMS was done last November..

Should I be worried?

Ps.... it does have a full porsche warranty til November 09.

In my opinion that is too much for 1k miles and I would have the car checked. We still do not know what is causing random engine failures on the 997 but oil consumption might be a signal of something not been right.
As you have a warranty go and ask them to check the engine and more specifically the engine/cylinder compression.

Theo

theogeor said:
In my opinion that is too much for 1k miles and I would have the car checked. We still do not know what is causing random engine failures on the 997 but oil consumption might be a signal of something not been right.
As you have a warranty go and ask them to check the engine and more specifically the engine/cylinder compression.

Theo

Thanks Theo, it's 3k not 1k,,, but personally still think its heavy

+1 drop it at the dealer. Is one of the exhaust pipes oily/black compared to the other?

mm450exc said:
+1 drop it at the dealer. Is one of the exhaust pipes oily/black compared to the other?

Hi, no they are both the same, just polished them at the weekend..
The car does not get driven hard so cannot understand the drop..
I've seen the threads re engine failure and hope I'm not going to be another statistic..

Was the oil level checked when the car was parked at the same postion?
Any incline can vary the oil reading just slightly which could partially explain a difference of readings.
Mine will drop the bars quite happliy over 3K and always has done.. :dont know:

garyw

I'm not so sure that you should be worrying too much at this stage. Having just picked up a new Gen 2, I was told that I will need to top up the oil every 1K.

Having read through the manual, from full to one bar over the minimum is equivalent to about 1.25l of oil. That doesnt seem like a great deal to me if you have covered 3k, or have I got that completely wrong :dont know:

Works out around 0.4l of oil every 1k. Is that a lot for a high performance vehicle?

Nevertheless might as well get it checked out if you are under warranty to put you mind at rest. Let us know what the OPC says

a17thc said:
theogeor said:

Theo

Thanks Theo, it's 3k not 1k,,, but personally still think its heavy

Sorry my mistake :oops:

On mine after 2.5K miles it still shows full so I would consider the 1.25L a bit high
Remember that if you are burning oil it means it goes though the cylinders /pistons or there is a leak either to the cooling system or somewhere else....
Check the car and see if you can spot anything but if I was in your possition I was gong to take it to the OPC for a good check.

I have done 2500 miles from new in a Gen2 C4S. It's never really been driven hard and always properly warmed up. It has dropped one bar on two occaisions and has had just under a litre of oil in total for its 2500 miles.

I'm not even vaguely worried by that. :wink:

Oil consumption C4S

I have a C4S coupe which has done 28K miles. I have been fastidious about topping up the oil, but have noticed that I have been consuming some oil. This has been particularly on long runs, but I have found that the electronic gauge is quite variable. I have used about 1 litre every 2500 miles, which I thought was quite a bit. My OPC tells me not to top up too often when cold, because when the engine is hot, it will be overfilled, and will automatically dump oil into the cylinders, and burn it off. Any thoughts?

Covered 2300miles so far and the bars are still on full :dont know: maybe i had better tap the dial or is it a random engine thing :?

Oil consumption is a very emotive issue, especially given the claims of major manufacturers. However over the years I've been playing with cars, oil consumption has dropped significantly as a result of better machining and honing of cylinder bores, as well as better lubricants, and cleaner air intake systems.
Clearly on the 997 with its electronic measurement, while you need to measure when its hot, and idling, you can put the oil in later cold. In winter it perhaps would be better to leave the oil inside the house, rather than in a frozen shed for topping up, to counter the oil expansion with warmth .
Sudden changes in oil consumption on the 997 need careful checking. Yes you need to go through the level ground scenario, and at operating temperature etc.
However 1.25 litres of oil in 3K miles needs investigating.
We are aware of a larger number than expected 997 Gen 1 Standard Engines have been affected by the erosion of the Nikasil Coating particularly on no 6 Bore, taking the geometry out of shape leading to increased oil consumption, loss of compression, and piston slap, and possibly a partial siezure because of pick up between the piston/rings and the parent alluminium casting of the cylinder bore.
The tell tale is usually higher oily deposits on one Exhaust Bank.
Clearly there are many other causes for oil consumption. Problems with Air Oil Separator, Valve Guides and Seals, and general wear. These may not need major work, anbd you will have to top up a bit more.
However if in doubt get the car into your OPC or Indy and get them to do a Endoscopic Examination of the Cylinder Bores through the Spark Plug Holes. If there is signs of Nikasil Erosion, this check will identify it before a major development or failure.
Best Regards Big Bob :bye:

Hi all, been following the forum for a few months now. Thanks for all the info, very useful.

Bought my first 911 late last year here in Dubai. 911 C4S Cab Gen2, Basalt Black.

Its been a great experience so far, with 5k KM trouble free. Last week the engine oil level warning light came on. Took it to the dealer workshop and they added 2l of Mobil 1 and told me to expect to add 1l every couple of thousand KM's. This level of consumption surprised me as the dealer salesman didn't seem to realise this would need to be done to such an extent.

A couple of days ago I was speaking to a friend here who told me the Gen 2 engines have been designed to consume oil and that the oil will never need to be changed in the car.

Not sure of the validity of this, however another reason mentioned by the workshop for the high oil consumption is because the fuel in the UAE is of very poor quality (3rd worst in the world by country). This is another reason for service intervals every 10K KM.

AITU said:
Hi all, been following the forum for a few months now. Thanks for all the info, very useful.

Bought my first 911 late last year here in Dubai. 911 C4S Cab Gen2, Basalt Black.

Its been a great experience so far, with 5k KM trouble free. Last week the engine oil level warning light came on. Took it to the dealer workshop and they added 2l of Mobil 1 and told me to expect to add 1l every couple of thousand KM's. This level of consumption surprised me as the dealer salesman didn't seem to realise this would need to be done to such an extent.

A couple of days ago I was speaking to a friend here who told me the Gen 2 engines have been designed to consume oil and that the oil will never need to be changed in the car.

Not sure of the validity of this, however another reason mentioned by the workshop for the high oil consumption is because the fuel in the UAE is of very poor quality (3rd worst in the world by country). This is another reason for service intervals every 10K KM.

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

As for the oil issue 2l for 5K KM (3K miles) is too too much in my opinion. As for the reason they gave you I did not know that the new engine is a two stroke one. (The only engines I know that is normal to burn oil)
The bad fuel can cause all sort of problems and I am not aware if the new engines are still using Nikasil. HAve the car checked properly as per Big Bob's advice

Theo

Re: Oil consumption C4S

ZigZag said:
I have a C4S coupe which has done 28K miles. I have been fastidious about topping up the oil, but have noticed that I have been consuming some oil. This has been particularly on long runs, but I have found that the electronic gauge is quite variable. I have used about 1 litre every 2500 miles, which I thought was quite a bit. My OPC tells me not to top up too often when cold, because when the engine is hot, it will be overfilled, and will automatically dump oil into the cylinders, and burn it off. Any thoughts?

Your OPC is a clown! :) You always check the oil level when cold. That is when all the oil is down in the oil pan and you can take a accurate reading.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back