Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Difference between 911 S and 911

johnboy911

Hey guys am currently looking for a 911 and would like to know all the differences between the s model and the non s?

cheers

thread moved into 997 Forum

obvious difference

Carrera S had 3.8 litre engine and 19" alloys v Carrera with 3.6 engine and 18" alloys

plus other items that were options on the Carrera but std on the S

the S has
Bigger brakes from the 996 Turbo/ C4S

PASM or 20mm lowered suspension and LSD as a no cost option
litronic headlamps, Bi xenon
2 X twin exhaust tail pipes,
larger On Board Computer
alloy dash trim
silver instrument dials

And IMHO the S is a much better driving experience :thumb:

With my "Superficial" hat on, I'd say you won't feel like the poor relative in the 'S', as I used to in the non-'S' Boxster days :oops:

... although some people in these pages have commented that the non-S 18" wheels give a better ride. I can't comment on that, but I'm happy with the 19" ride. It migth pay you to try both and decide for yourself.

Good luck :thumbs:

I've just traded an 08 C2 for an 09 C2S. The difference is quite pronounced, which of course may be related to the model year differences (which are many) but overall the C2S is more complete and not "missing" some things you may expect on a 911. Brakes, wheels, adjustable suspension etc..

Having said that the 08 C2 is a perfectly good car and if the deal on the new 09 C2S had not presented itself I'd probably still be in the C2.

If you have a choice, go for the S!
In fact I dont understand why porsche make a non s?

I mean why would you go for a non s over an s - if you had the choice, and IMHO - not that much difference in price!

Well it all depends.... In my case I have a C2 with almost all the specs of the S (minus larger breaks) so the only difference is the engine performance but again if you compare a manual C2 with a trip C2s then there is no difference on the contrary.
When I was looking I had the S as a priority but my primary aim was to find a good car.

Theo

You may well be correct on the performance difference over a gen2 manual C2 over a Tip S, however I am willing to bet that it is easier and less strain on the mechanicals to reach real world performance in the tip than the manual on a day to day basis. I find the take off in my tip in auto mode to be instant and devastating by just flooring it, no rev rises before etc. I am sure this will be controversial :grin: and I have nothing against manual, but they are getting to be overtaken by the slush shifters. We all know how mags get the figures for the data and I would not like to buy that car afterwards. Real world driving is completely different.

Go with what you feel comfortable in and dont worry about the 10th of a second here or their, all of them are fast machines.

I weighed up both, but couldn't justify the additional expense for the 'S', when I was never going to track it or feel I (personal decision!) would really benefit from the active suspension etc.. (fyi 4.5k less for similar spec 'S' model *edited: secondhand, of course*). Note that I did buy just before the arse fell out of the market, so the differences are probably less now...

As far as being a 'mere' Carrera 2, I wouldn't be put off. Reading some posts you'd think it was some kind of lemon, but in my experience it's a phenomonal sports car. Performance in the real world is near as no difference for the average mortal (ie me). Plus, I got to spend (but still only a third) of the saving a year later on the Porsche Sports Exhaust, for me much better than the additional 'S' toys, if I was to compare.

In response to a comment about the brakes on non-S model, they are absolutely fine on the road. Never had any reason to question them until I read a comment here!

You pays your money, takes your choice and all that!

Ian
997 C2

I still dont understand why Porsche bother with non-S - apart from cost saving - why bother.

Even though the 'S' may cost a little more, you get it back when you sell! And its probably more desirable.

If price really is an issue, you could go for a 996 or even a cayman?

I love my 'S' - and am glad that I didn't go for the non-S - for the sake of a few pounds - knowng that I can resell easier!

aynit911 said:
I still dont understand why Porsche bother with non-S - apart from cost saving - why bother.

Even though the 'S' may cost a little more, you get it back when you sell! And its probably more desirable.

If price really is an issue, you could go for a 996 or even a cayman?

I love my 'S' - and am glad that I didn't go for the non-S - for the sake of a few pounds - knowng that I can resell easier!

On that argument, why aren't you driving around in a Turbo? - or a 996TT if money is tight... ;)

My point above on the 'S' is that, for me, the extra spec was not worth it to me, thus why would I? If 4k is no dice to you (think 4 years Insurance and a complete set of tyres), then pm me, I'll send you my address :)

Ian (with jest!)

The extra 4k - if put on finance - and most are, then it equates to about £30 per month (bearing in mind higher residual values at the end)!

I wanted a 997, not a 996 TT - but good shout. The 997 turbo was just that bit too much! Even on finance!

I still dont get why they bother making a non - S!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back